The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
look if it is on the syllabus, we should revise that and learn it!!!!
Reply 61
LS.

But just thought I should say: Just because it's on the syllabus, doesn't make it 'true' - there's a lot of BS on syllabus thesedays to make it easier to teach.

that may be, but the exam is marked according to a mark scheme developed from the specification.
Reply 62
if it is in the revision guide then we revise that and if we remeber that we will get the marks!!!!
Reply 63
Undry1
im just saying what the revision guide and the specification say.

in response:
mitosis:
Before each cell division, a copy of each chromosome is made so that
each body cell has exactly the same genetic information. This type of
cell division is called mitosis.

DNA replication:
Asexual reproduction gives rise to individuals whose genetic
information is identical with that of the parent. These genetically
identical individuals are known as a clone.

The cells of the offspring produced by asexual reproduction are
produced by mitosis from the parental cells. They contain the same
genes as the parents.

hence the reference to clones in the question , i would assume.

CGP talks of mutations that can occur.

Do you agree that if mutations couldn't occur during mitosis then Bacteria would never change?
Reply 64
Undry1
that may be, but the exam is marked according to a mark scheme developed from the specification.

In the hardest questions the question will not necessarily involve a quote from the mark scheme. It will be testing your application of knowledge.

You application that in Mitosis errors can be made.
Reply 65
samdavyson
Look at this quote. S/he is the founder of the Biology Society. They know their stuff.

Once again, my gender causes problems for people on this board :biggrin: Thanks for the confidence. I'm a bit rusty on mutations - haven't done about them for awhile.

Asexual production, however, still suffers from mutations.
Reply 66
LS.
Once again, my gender causes problems for people on this board :biggrin: Thanks for the confidence. I'm a bit rusty on mutations - haven't done about them for awhile.

Asexual production, however, still suffers from mutations.

I didn't want to judge you.
Reply 67
it is not based on knowledge or it would say ''use your own knowledge'' in the question
Reply 68
Undry1

Not always. If you write something which is correct - but not on the syllabus, as long as you show understanding, you should not be punished. For example, free radicals are not taught as contributing factor to CHD, yet the mark scheme credits it. Also, there are 'AVP' (any valid point) marks given at the discression of the marker.
Reply 69
samdavyson
CGP talks of mutations that can occur.

Do you agree that if mutations couldn't occur during mitosis then Bacteria would never change?

yes, i agree.
but neway, at least one of the answers is right, maybe even both ( might be an EITHER mutation OR no mutation question). personally i think my answer is right, but you have your right to an opinion.
Reply 70
samdavyson
I didn't want to judge you.

My signiture may not be pink, but I assure you I'm female.
Reply 71
Browny
it is not based on knowledge or it would say ''use your own knowledge'' in the question

That is the stupidest thing that you have said so far in this argument.

I did a Maths exam yesterday not once did it say "use your own knowledge". Without it I would have had to leave every question blank.
Reply 72
then there is no right or wrong answer!!
Reply 73
Undry1
yes, i agree.
but neway, at least one of the answers is right, maybe even both ( might be an EITHER mutation OR no mutation question). personally i think my answer is right, but you have your right to an opinion.

I am glad you are of a more mature nature than this other Biologist (Browny). I guess we will never know.
Reply 74
your own knowledge means you know it already
Reply 75
like i said there is no a right or wrong answer
Reply 76
maybe, ok your entitled 2 ur opinion ok???
Reply 77
Browny
maybe, ok your entitled 2 ur opinion ok???

Too right I am.
Reply 78
Clone Means 'genetically Identical'.

Mutations Will Occur In Mitosis, But Then The Mutated Bacteria Are Not 'genetically Identical'

Therefore all Clones Will Produce Insulin, Even If There Were Mutations That Didn't, Because These Are Not Clones.
Reply 79
klugy
Clone Means 'genetically Identical'.

Mutations Will Occur In Mitosis, But Then The Mutated Bacteria Are Not 'genetically Identical'

Therefore all Clones Will Produce Insulin, Even If There Were Mutations That Didn't, Because These Are Not Clones.

Thank you!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending