The Student Room Group

Chemistry And Biology A LEVELS !! DIFFICULTY!!

I am currently picking my sixth form courses, and I always wanted to become a pharmacist. To become a pharmacist I have to study A level Chem and Bio but I am not sure if I would be able to pass it, for GCSE I got B for both chemistry and biology and I do like both chem and bio and I would do all the work required to pass it in a levels but I am not sure if it would be enough to only do work and you just have to be smart to do it?

PLEASE HELP I HAVE TO PICK TOMORROW I HAVE BEEN DOING LOADS OF RESEARCH STILL NOT SURE !!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MehmzTank
I am currently picking my sixth form courses, and I always wanted to become a pharmacist. To become a pharmacist I have to study A level Chem and Bio but I am not sure if I would be able to pass it, for GCSE I got B for both chemistry and biology and I do like both chem and bio and I would do all the work required to pass it in a levels but I am not sure if it would be enough to only do work and you just have to be smart to do it?

PLEASE HELP I HAVE TO PICK TOMORROW I HAVE BEEN DOING LOADS OF RESEARCH STILL NOT SURE !!!

I got a B in core science and an A* in additional science and got an A in chemistry A level and a B in biology A level :biggrin: So, you should be fine, you just have to work hard for a good grade it doesn't matter how smart you are, but being able to pick up principles quickly will help. Let me tell you, i didn't understand a thing at GCSE for chemistry and still came out with an A, so go for it and be confident.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Biology a level isn't too bad as long as you're prepared to do all the work. Most of the content isn't too difficult it's just that there is so much to learn, but overall I found it enjoyable. I got an a* in gcse chem and found chemistry a level hell. It was near impossible to get my head around most of the content (hence why i dropped it at a2). The jump from gcse chemistry to a level chemistry is huge and unless you absolutely love the subject (and are pretty decent at maths too) I really wouldn't recommend it.
Hope this helps (srry if its not really what you wanted to hear)
Reply 3
Original post by Hayley Williams
I got a B in core science and an A* in additional science and got an A in chemistry A level and a B in biology A level :biggrin: So, you should be fine, you just have to work hard for a good grade it doesn't matter how smart you are, but being able to pick up principles quickly will help. Let me tell you, i didn't understand a thing at GCSE for chemistry and still came out with an A, so go for it and be confident.

I know your trying to help me out but how can you get A in a levels for chemistry if you got a B in GCSE for chemistry, it just doesn't sound right. And how much work did you put in every day until the exams for chemistry and biology (hours).
Reply 4
Original post by anna_997
Biology a level isn't too bad as long as you're prepared to do all the work. Most of the content isn't too difficult it's just that there is so much to learn, but overall I found it enjoyable. I got an a* in gcse chem and found chemistry a level hell. It was near impossible to get my head around most of the content (hence why i dropped it at a2). The jump from gcse chemistry to a level chemistry is huge and unless you absolutely love the subject (and are pretty decent at maths too) I really wouldn't recommend it.
Hope this helps (srry if its not really what you wanted to hear)

I want everyone to tell me the truth of what they thought of the a levels, so far out of 20 questions about a level chemistry and biology the people that got a,a* in GCSE for chemistry and biology did really bad at a levels for chem and biology.
Some people say its mainly about just having a passion for the subject or you will hate it and I do like chemistry and biology and I would do all the work needed
Reply 5
I want everyone to tell me the truth of what they thought of the a levels, so far out of 20 questions about a level chemistry and biology the people that got a,a* in GCSE for chemistry and biology did really bad at a levels for chem and biology.
Some people say its mainly about just having a passion for the subject or you will hate it and I do like chemistry and biology and I would do all the work needed

I thought i had a passion for chemistry before starting the a level course but tbh once you get into it it's really boring. You spend most of the time doing really long chemical equations that involve a lot of maths and whilst some of the theory is interesting, it's really hard to understand. Obviously this is just my opinion and i'm sure some people love chemistry a level but most people i know taking it hated it too. I only just got a C grade for AS chemistry despite doing as much work as I possibly could for it because i just couldn't understand most of the course.
Biology is fine. I got an A at GCSE and an A at A level. It was probably my favourite subject and covered some really interesting topics so I'm sure you will be fine with bio as long as your willing to do all the work (like you said you are).

To be honest, being smart and doing the work given to you won't be enough for A-levels, apparently. In GCSE, you can get A*s without studying everyday and just procrastinating but it's different here, you actually need to do extra work in it like researches, practice formulae and questions and in-depth analysis of processes.

It might be daunting but if you concentrate in your studies and do extra work to understand things you don't really get, you can pass.

Are you trying to choose between chem and bio or are you thinking of doing both?

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar :frown:

Yes they're hard, but that's why you have teachers. Believe in your own ability! You don't have to be a genius to do well, but you need to be smart enough to learn from your mistakes, ask for help when needed and be resourceful when finding information to learn from.

I am actually quite thick to be honest, but I do well in exams. Learning exam technique is like learning another language, the language of examiners. Figure out how to do well in the exams, and you'll be fine :wink: Practice makes perfect.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Firenze26
To be honest, being smart and doing the work given to you won't be enough for A-levels, apparently. In GCSE, you can get A*s without studying everyday and just procrastinating but it's different here, you actually need to do extra work in it like researches, practice formulae and questions and in-depth analysis of processes.

It might be daunting but if you concentrate in your studies and do extra work to understand things you don't really get, you can pass.

Are you trying to choose between chem and bio or are you thinking of doing both?

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar :frown:

I have to study both for pharmacy course in universities.
Reply 9
Original post by Laurasaur
Yes they're hard, but that's why you have teachers. Believe in your own ability! You don't have to be a genius to do well, but you need to be smart enough to learn from your mistakes, ask for help when needed and be resourceful when finding information to learn from.

I am actually quite thick to be honest, but I do well in exams. Learning exam technique is like learning another language, the language of examiners. Figure out how to do well in the exams, and you'll be fine :wink: Practice makes perfect.

Aha so true, examiners just try play mind games with you. Thanks for that and its really true and over my GCSE years I was doing really bad for chemistry. In my mock exams I always got C as my highest grade (because I didn't revise) and when it came to year 11 overall I did a month of good revision (still not good enough) and I got a B overall grade for chem and bio.
Reply 10
Original post by anna_997
I thought i had a passion for chemistry before starting the a level course but tbh once you get into it it's really boring. You spend most of the time doing really long chemical equations that involve a lot of maths and whilst some of the theory is interesting, it's really hard to understand. Obviously this is just my opinion and i'm sure some people love chemistry a level but most people i know taking it hated it too. I only just got a C grade for AS chemistry despite doing as much work as I possibly could for it because i just couldn't understand most of the course.
Biology is fine. I got an A at GCSE and an A at A level. It was probably my favourite subject and covered some really interesting topics so I'm sure you will be fine with bio as long as your willing to do all the work (like you said you are).

Sounds like you had a horrible time doing a levels.
I got A's in both biology and chemistry at gcse
At AS i got an A in biology and a C in chemistry, for me chemistry was pure hell its a miricle i got a C and honestly at gcse i enjoyed it and found it very manageable
Sounds like you had a horrible time doing a levels.

honestly? a levels are a living hell but good luck anyway pal :smile:
Reply 13
If you really want to become a pharmacist, then you should be willing to overcome every obstacle that stands in your way. From experience with Chemistry (Edexcel) and Biology (AQA) A Level I can say that Chemistry requires more of an understanding of the topics whereas Biology requires you to do many old past papers so you get familiar with the way they want you to understand the questions.

I admit that, although they're both a step up from their GCSE counterparts, it's not as big as people make it out to be. If you enjoy the subjects like you say and make sure you understand the topics in class (ask your teachers questions!) you'll be more than fine. I got an E in my Chemistry A2 Level mock and then ended up getting A* in the real exam!

If you want more questions about workload or need help throughout the year, I'll be more than willing to help you out if you PM me.
Reply 14
I've only done AS's so far but I got an A in biology and a B in chemistry.
(I did triple science at GCSE with an A* in biology and an A in chemistry).

I'm hoping for two A's in them next year though - one exam pulled my chemistry grade down so I'm retaking that unit.

Personally I much prefer chemistry A-level over the GCSE as the topics become more interesting and all the content you learn is backed up by logic, instead of just learning random things like at GCSE. If you're at all "mathsy" then the calculations will be very basic for you as well, so that's a nice place to pick up marks :tongue:

On the biology side, the content becomes more detailed but none of it I found difficult to understand. For me the only struggle was the amount of content, especially as I was studying five subjects. However I feel like it's a subject where the grade you get reflects how much work you put in, so if you work hard then you should be fine :h:

Go for it!!! Don't underestimate yourself....have the belief in yourself that you can accomplish ANYTHING you put your mind to and you will surprise yourself. You have the motivation so I am confident you ll do well. To answer your question...no they are not hard. Organisation is key imo....
If you don't try you won't know.
Original post by Zaffre
I've only done AS's so far but I got an A in biology and a B in chemistry.
(I did triple science at GCSE with an A* in biology and an A in chemistry).

I'm hoping for two A's in them next year though - one exam pulled my chemistry grade down so I'm retaking that unit.

Personally I much prefer chemistry A-level over the GCSE as the topics become more interesting and all the content you learn is backed up by logic, instead of just learning random things like at GCSE. If you're at all "mathsy" then the calculations will be very basic for you as well, so that's a nice place to pick up marks :tongue:

On the biology side, the content becomes more detailed but none of it I found difficult to understand. For me the only struggle was the amount of content, especially as I was studying five subjects. However I feel like it's a subject where the grade you get reflects how much work you put in, so if you work hard then you should be fine :h:

My chemistry teacher used to say that chemistry becomes easier at A2 and, to my benefit, it did. :biggrin: I got a B at AS too and ended up with an A* at A-level.
Reply 17
Original post by Hydeman
My chemistry teacher used to say that chemistry becomes easier at A2 and, to my benefit, it did. :biggrin: I got a B at AS too and ended up with an A* at A-level.

Thank you for saying that - I needed it :redface:

You're my new inspiration :biggrin:
Original post by Zaffre
Thank you for saying that - I needed it :redface:

You're my new inspiration :biggrin:

Haha, good to know! PRSOM.
Reply 19

Take them, if you find it to hard you can switch subjects as long as you are not to far into the term.

Chemistry is very hard though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending