The Student Room Group

Topless protesters disrupt Muslim conference, Paris

Scroll to see replies

Original post by getfunky!
Whatever the topic of the convention may be, it was a peaceful discussion and was an opportunity for discussion.

According to the Independents sources, the topic of discussion was regarding the beating of wives.

"According to Inna Shevchenko a spokesperson for the Ukranian-born feminist group, the imams were discussing the beating of women."
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/topless-femen-protesters-kicked-during-scuffles-at-muslim-conference-about-women-10499668.html

Judging by the kicking of one of the women I seen in the video, one can attain an understanding of their views on this topic. If it was the case that they were condoning violence against women, then it would be up for debate how 'peaceful' this discussion was.
Original post by Fango_Jett
The fact that this conference is even being held in Europe says it all to be honest.

The sooner we flush fundamentalism and religion down the toilet, the better off this world will be.

Agreed.

Also many muslims getting angry about the topless women because there were children at the (wife beating) conference, says a lot about religion in itself.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Good! The conference and the way they acted was EXACTLY why this protest NEEDED to happen. I salute FEMEN for standing up to what I believe are REAL issues. Not just the "free the nipple campaign" and the western ideas of feminism. We do need feminism in the west but it seemed like no one was brave enough to actually openly take a stand on middle east-religion etc in this way.

They caused outrage, that was the point! I don't understand why people don't seem to understand that.

Also Beating them and calling them whores? disgusting vile behaviour.

Completely agree

We can expect to see more and more of this and more demonstrations against extremist events like this and the people that host them.

I do hope we get to the stage where every one of these events is disrupted in such a way
Reply 23
Original post by AzimH
That was just shameful. Why did they storm the place topless? What was the need? Protest outside but don't disrupt a family event.

A family event discussing the beating of women? I suppose it beats Legoland.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AzimH
That was just shameful. Why did they storm the place topless? What was the need? Protest outside but don't disrupt a family event.

The fact that children were there, listening to a wife beating conference makes me feel sick.
Original post by BaconandSauce
Completely agree

We can expect to see more and more of this and more demonstrations against extremist events like this and the people that host them.

I do hope we get to the stage where every one of these events is disrupted in such a way

Agreed. I hope we do also, but since watching the video yesterday admittedly I can't get over the shock of witnessing what I witnessed.
Original post by getfunky!

Whatever the topic of the convention may be, it was a peaceful discussion and was an opportunity for discussion.

T

Yeah, kicking those protesters who had been subdued already and chanting for them to be killed. What a peaceful bunch.
Reply 27
The fact that children were there, listening to a wife beating conference makes me feel sick.

@Tooly

I hope you guys do realize children are allocated into another room during many conferences. They instead are told stories of the prophet; much like Sunday school. However, there are a few children who "want to be with their parents" and follow them to discussions. Obviously you will assume stuff since you guys never went to a conference held by muslims. Stop trying it mate.
Original post by AzimH
@Tooly

I hope you guys do realize children are allocated into another room during many conferences. They instead are told stories of the prophet; much like Sunday school. However, there are a few children who "want to be with their parents" and follow them to discussions. Obviously you will assume stuff since you guys never went to a conference held by muslims. Stop trying it mate.

But lets be honest, children or no children, doesn't make the topic of their discussion okay, does it?
PEACEFUL RELIGION, THE PEOPLE IN THE CONFERENCE ARE NOT REAL MUSLIMS.

PEACE PEACE

(sarcasm BTW)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by AzimH
@Tooly

That doesn't negate the point that there were still children in that room, as you have kindly pointed out. I'd rather my children weren't brought up to have any sort of idea that beating their wives may be acceptable, even if that meant having to see two women take off their tops.
Agreed. I hope we do also, but since watching the video yesterday admittedly I can't get over the shock of witnessing what I witnessed.

Quite

and I hope that criminal charges are brought against that bloke who thought it acceptable to put the boot in

But as we know if you can teach violence towards women is acceptable in the home then a 'whore' on stage is fair game
Good! The conference and the way they acted was EXACTLY why this protest NEEDED to happen. I salute FEMEN for standing up to what I believe are REAL issues. Not just the "free the nipple campaign" and the western ideas of feminism. We do need feminism in the west but it seemed like no one was brave enough to actually openly take a stand on middle east-religion etc in this way.

They caused outrage, that was the point! I don't understand why people don't seem to understand that.

Also Beating them and calling them whores? disgusting vile behaviour.

Original post by Law-Hopeful
"A family event"... On whether wives should be beaten or not.

:facepalm:

PRSOM
I'm glad they disrupted the conference, they're fighting against sexism. I really do not understand why this topic is even debated.
But lets be honest, children or no children, doesn't make the topic of their discussion okay, does it?

No. They have their rights to freedom of speech sure, but that doesn't make it acceptable by any stretch.

You shouldn't need a discussion as to whether wife-beating is OK.

Any person with a shred of decency should be able to understand why beating someone else is wrong.
Why can't topless protesters ever disrupt a conference in my room :frown:
Original post by Fango_Jett
No. They have their rights to freedom of speech sure, but that doesn't make it acceptable by any stretch.

You shouldn't need a discussion as to whether wife-beating is OK.

Any person with a shred of decency should be able to understand why beating someone else is wrong.

That was a rhetorical question btw, just incase you thought I was actually asking.

Ofcourse it's wrong. I just don't understand why it's acceptable to hold such a discussion in the first place, there were also women in the conference, I really do wonder how they feel being in such a conference were the topic of them being beaten by their husbands is discussed.
Original post by AzimH
Read my other comment you mug.

Now, now, there's no need to get upset.

They were being taught about misconceptions.

"Misconceptions"? To what conclusions did they come to - when/how is it permissible for a man to beat his wife?

I see no point in arguing with someone who is Anti-religion.

I am proudly opposed to religion and the odious ways in which it propagates, and manifests, itself.

In the same way that I oppose other vile ideologies, such as Nazism. :smile:
Original post by BaconandSauce
Because they decide what they do or don't do with their body

But there is a sensible method of protesting.I mean shouting whisky being topless with words scribble on your body is disgusting.How am I meant to take feminist seriously?
Feminism is not about causing a seen and going topless.

"Misconceptions"? To what conclusions did they come to - when/how is it permissible for a man to beat his wife?

I am proudly opposed to religion and the odious ways in which it propagates, and manifests, itself.

I can't rep, I ran out, but if it was possible I would rep a million times!
Reply 39

Fair enough, that's why I see there being no point in arguing since we are always going to have conflicting views.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending