The Student Room Group

A year in the life of a Bath Student

Scroll to see replies

1 down, 1 to go.

After a fair few hours of agonising over my Stats coursework (slightly more than the '8 hours' spent by the average student on it...), it's submitted and there's nothing more that I can do on that one. I am curious to see the solutions, which we'll probably get in January, as some of the questions were quite challenging. This one was worth 10% of my stats grade, and the one being set in over a week's time is worth 15%.

I still can't believe how fast the weeks go here. Next week is week 7! Bath has 11 weeks in Semester 1, followed by 3 weeks off and then a revision week in week 15, then exams.

With this in mind I've started going over things, and what better than to start with stats. My method is to comb through the lecture notes, look for named theorems and theorems in general, and learn how to prove them, and re-attempt problem sheets.

Apart from that, for most of the week it's been pretty quiet. In our weekly placement talk we were visited by a graduate and a placement student at EY who talked about assessment centres and got us to do a task, and that was quite insightful.

In Japanese we went over things in preparation for the next few weeks' tests, starting with Speaking in Week 7. I asked the girl who usually sits next to me if she wanted to meet up and practice speaking, and she said yes! :innocent: But before I knew it, the guy who sits in front of us turned around and wanted in as well, and he invited another girl in our class to exchange contact details so now I've found myself in charge of a group... oh well, it's a good opportunity to demonstrate leadership skills, I suppose.

I sat my numerical reasoning and logical reasoning tests set by Sainsbury's. Boy, were they intense! I was lucky enough to 'reach the threshold' for marks on those tests and they're reviewing my application before deciding whether or not to invite me to the assessment centre. Fingers crossed!

So yes, it's been pretty quiet, but in the run up to the 5th of November and afterwards there have been.. fireworks!

IMG_1613.jpg
A shot taken from my bathroom window.

Fireworks seem to be going off everywhere! While I'm studying, I can hear them from at least two different directions. It helps me to appreciate what a wonderful place Bath is and how nice the people are, and what a great time it is to be alive. Oh, and in town, a battery and a firework were arrested. One was charged, the other one was let off. Sorry, that was bang out of order. I just have a flare for dad jokes.

Oh, and last week I saw 'Spectre' and borrowed a book called 'Our Iceberg is Melting' from the library. I'd have mentioned it/reviewed it then, but it would have been a super long post.

Next week I'll be talking about the building that every other building on campus gravitates towards - the library.

See ya!
Reply 21
Original post by SeanFM
I asked the girl who usually sits next to me if she wanted to meet up and practice speaking, and she said yes! :innocent:

Quite the ladies man, eh? :wink:
Original post by SeanFM
1 down, 1 to go.

After a fair few hours of agonising over my Stats coursework (slightly more than the '8 hours' spent by the average student on it...), it's submitted and there's nothing more that I can do on that one. I am curious to see the solutions, which we'll probably get in January, as some of the questions were quite challenging. This one was worth 10% of my stats grade, and the one being set in over a week's time is worth 15%.

I still can't believe how fast the weeks go here. Next week is week 7! Bath has 11 weeks in Semester 1, followed by 3 weeks off and then a revision week in week 15, then exams.

With this in mind I've started going over things, and what better than to start with stats. My method is to comb through the lecture notes, look for named theorems and theorems in general, and learn how to prove them, and re-attempt problem sheets.

Apart from that, for most of the week it's been pretty quiet. In our weekly placement talk we were visited by a graduate and a placement student at EY who talked about assessment centres and got us to do a task, and that was quite insightful.

In Japanese we went over things in preparation for the next few weeks' tests, starting with Speaking in Week 7. I asked the girl who usually sits next to me if she wanted to meet up and practice speaking, and she said yes! :innocent: But before I knew it, the guy who sits in front of us turned around and wanted in as well, and he invited another girl in our class to exchange contact details so now I've found myself in charge of a group... oh well, it's a good opportunity to demonstrate leadership skills, I suppose.

I sat my numerical reasoning and logical reasoning tests set by Sainsbury's. Boy, were they intense! I was lucky enough to 'reach the threshold' for marks on those tests and they're reviewing my application before deciding whether or not to invite me to the assessment centre. Fingers crossed!

So yes, it's been pretty quiet, but in the run up to the 5th of November and afterwards there have been.. fireworks!

IMG_1613.jpg
A shot taken from my bathroom window.

Fireworks seem to be going off everywhere! While I'm studying, I can hear them from at least two different directions. It helps me to appreciate what a wonderful place Bath is and how nice the people are, and what a great time it is to be alive. Oh, and in town, a battery and a firework were arrested. One was charged, the other one was let off. Sorry, that was bang out of order. I just have a flare for dad jokes.

Oh, and last week I saw 'Spectre' and borrowed a book called 'Our Iceberg is Melting' from the library. I'd have mentioned it/reviewed it then, but it would have been a super long post.

Next week I'll be talking about the building that every other building on campus gravitates towards - the library.

See ya!

What's this Japanese class? Surely it's not part of you MatSci course? It is a complementary extracurricular at Bath Uni, whereby you can learn a language on the side?
And what's up with your display picture?
Original post by multiratiunculae
What's this Japanese class? Surely it's not part of you MatSci course? It is a complementary extracurricular at Bath Uni, whereby you can learn a language on the side?
And what's up with your display picture?

Some courses (Eg Natural Sciences) can take up a language instead of one of their other modules right from the first year, and it will count towards their overall classification.

Everyone can take any language as an optional module, though it won't count towards their overall classification. On my course, I have the option of substituting it as a module in my third year only, and that counts.

It seems that the University offer these languages:
Arabic, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.

It's absolutely free, a good way to improve yourself, looks great on your CV/degree transcript, can be fun and a good way to meet people.

...and I'm not sure which one my display picture is. :colondollar:
Original post by SeanFM
Some courses (Eg Natural Sciences) can take up a language instead of one of their other modules right from the first year, and it will count towards their overall classification.

Everyone can take any language as an optional module, though it won't count towards their overall classification. On my course, I have the option of substituting it as a module in my third year only, and that counts.

It seems that the University offer these languages:
Arabic, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.

It's absolutely free, a good way to improve yourself, looks great on your CV/degree transcript, can be fun and a good way to meet people.

...and I'm not sure which one my display picture is. :colondollar:

That is an excellent offer! Suppose you're already bilingual, and took a second language as part of the degree, surely it would mean an easy 100% ? Do you know whether Chem Engs at Bath get that luxury?
Your DP shows perhaps you, in what looks like a selfie...
That is an excellent offer! Suppose you're already bilingual, and took a second language as part of the degree, surely it would mean an easy 100% ? Do you know whether Chem Engs at Bath get that luxury?
Your DP shows perhaps you, in what looks like a selfie...

I forgot to mention that choosing a language as part of your degree is subject to 'Director of Studies approval', which means that your department has to say 'yes, you can do that one'. I'm not sure if they'd approve given that you're bilingual, but always worth a shot, and if you can't it may be worth picking up a third language.

i can see the Chemical Engineering modules page, and the option to choose languages as something that counts in your first/second years isn't there. It is there for the first semester of the third year, but in the second semester you do a massive project that counts as all 5 of the module choices.

My picture is just me in a suit in a photo that I took before an interview, standing in front of a mirror. I didn't put a huge amount of thought into it though.
Original post by SeanFM
I forgot to mention that choosing a language as part of your degree is subject to 'Director of Studies approval', which means that your department has to say 'yes, you can do that one'. I'm not sure if they'd approve given that you're bilingual, but always worth a shot, and if you can't it may be worth picking up a third language.

i can see the Chemical Engineering modules page, and the option to choose languages as something that counts in your first/second years isn't there. It is there for the first semester of the third year, but in the second semester you do a massive project that counts as all 5 of the module choices.

My picture is just me in a suit in a photo that I took before an interview, standing in front of a mirror. I didn't put a huge amount of thought into it though.

Link to the page?
Link to the page?

It requires a university login, otherwise I would've helped you out there already :redface:

Maybe it doesn't..

http://www.bath.ac.uk/catalogues/2015-2016/ce/UECE-AFB05.html
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM
It requires a university login, otherwise I would've helped you out there already :redface:

PM me the salient details please?
PM me the salient details please?

Try the link above.
Original post by SeanFM
Try the link above.

Can you study a language anyway?
Can you study a language anyway?

If by that you mean without it counting towards anything, then yes.

You can either study a language as:

1) 'Attendance only' - a teacher said that for this you have to show up to at least 70% of the classes or be kicked off the course, but you're not obliged to take the tests and and it doesn't show up on your transcript.

2) '3 credit' (Every module you do at Bath has a different number of 'credits' assigned to it, most are 6 Credits if it's a 1-semester module or 12 if it's an all-year module). - The 3 credit option means that you do take the tests and the overall result shows up on your transcript but it doesn't count towards your degree.

3) '6 credit' - if you've been approved to do it by your department then this counts towards your degree and shows up on your transcript along with your other modules).

3 Credit students just do one reading, speaking, listening and writing test each throughout the semester but before the exam period.

6 Credit students do that as well as a written exam during the exam period.
By any chance do you know any other universities that offer the language option or is it just bath? I love reading your weekly updates, keep them up! :biggrin:
Original post by peanutbutterjam
By any chance do you know any other universities that offer the language option or is it just bath? I love reading your weekly updates, keep them up! :biggrin:

I don't know, but looking up a uni at random (I picked Warwick) it seems that they also offer languages but it seems to cost money if you're only doing it for interest, rather than having it count towards your degree. :eek3: but I'd imagine that a lot of unis would offer language options.

And thanks very much :colondollar:
Don't be shelfish!

With that awful pun I am reminded that nostalgic puns aren't what they used to be...

Attachment not found

It almost looks as if it's under construction!

As you can see, it's the centre of campus. People set up stalls, a lot of the time for charity or information, hand out flyers, tickets and so on.

So, in you walk through the automatic doors (which doesn't open immediately if you stand right in front of it :s-smilie:). To your right you have the security desk, and even further right you have an area with a few vending machines and a cafe-esque area (just the seats) as you aren't allowed to eat anything or drink anything other than water in the library, and I've seen the security people run from their desk to chase someone up the stairs who had a coffee cup in their hands. There was another time where a computer was left unattended with some coffee next to it, and the person was asking 'is this yours' to the person who came back to the seat and I think he said no.

Moving on, you can use your library card to get past the barriers. There's a big section of computers to your left, a few more that you have to stand to use and then computers which can only be used to look up where books are placed in the library.

To your right you have a machine with which you take out books for loans, as well as an opening in the wall where you pop books in. Conveniently, next to that is the 'issue desk' where some library staff members are ready to help you with general queries or problems with your library card.

This is all on 'level 2' by the way, even though it's the same level as when you walked in, though I suppose the parade (where a lot of buildings are on, including the library) is elevated so it's all level 2.

Then there are a few more seats further in, some printers, a group study area and a computing service where you can turn to for help. The printers are pretty useful, especially if you don't want to bring one of your own - you can put some money on your library card using a machine in the library, and then use that to print things.

Then there's level 3,4,5 (level 1 may exist but I've never been!). Level 3 and 4 are massive floors with loads of computers, some 'quiet' study areas, a lot of tables with just chargers and no computers for people with their laptops to work at.

Level 5 is a 'silent' work area - while you're allowed to make a reasonable amount of noise in the other floors, you can't on the 5th floor. Strangely enough, I've had a couple kissing next to me on level 4 so that can only be a good thing. :s-smilie:

So the library is a pretty nice place. You do get fines for overdue library books. How much? Well, I'm not sure, I've never returned a book late. :wink:

It has a lot of interesting books, and if you want to read something you can look it up on the library's homepage to see if they have it.

So, why the pun in the title.. well. I use the library between lectures, and from Week 1 it was fairly busy. Now, pretty much everywhere is full within the first few minutes of one phase of people leaving for their lectures (so around 5 past the hour), and it can often be difficult to find a computer or even somewhere to sit without awkwardly sitting next to someone. What's worse, sometimes people monopolize computers by leaving their clothes/bags there (though to be fair they could just be going to the toilet) and others don't even use the computer, but sit at a space with a computer and use their laptop instead.

So the library could be improved by having more space, but otherwise it's got no complaints from me.

It is rather late so I'll talk about my week / what's been covered in lectures tomorrow. :borat:
Reply 35
Original post by SeanFM
x

The library thing seems pretty cool with the tiers! :biggrin:
Original post by SeanFM
Don't be shelfish!

With that awful pun I am reminded that nostalgic puns aren't what they used to be...

Attachment not found

It almost looks as if it's under construction!

As you can see, it's the centre of campus. People set up stalls, a lot of the time for charity or information, hand out flyers, tickets and so on.

So, in you walk through the automatic doors (which doesn't open immediately if you stand right in front of it :s-smilie:). To your right you have the security desk, and even further right you have an area with a few vending machines and a cafe-esque area (just the seats) as you aren't allowed to eat anything or drink anything other than water in the library, and I've seen the security people run from their desk to chase someone up the stairs who had a coffee cup in their hands. There was another time where a computer was left unattended with some coffee next to it, and the person was asking 'is this yours' to the person who came back to the seat and I think he said no.

Moving on, you can use your library card to get past the barriers. There's a big section of computers to your left, a few more that you have to stand to use and then computers which can only be used to look up where books are placed in the library.

To your right you have a machine with which you take out books for loans, as well as an opening in the wall where you pop books in. Conveniently, next to that is the 'issue desk' where some library staff members are ready to help you with general queries or problems with your library card.

This is all on 'level 2' by the way, even though it's the same level as when you walked in, though I suppose the parade (where a lot of buildings are on, including the library) is elevated so it's all level 2.

Then there are a few more seats further in, some printers, a group study area and a computing service where you can turn to for help. The printers are pretty useful, especially if you don't want to bring one of your own - you can put some money on your library card using a machine in the library, and then use that to print things.

Then there's level 3,4,5 (level 1 may exist but I've never been!). Level 3 and 4 are massive floors with loads of computers, some 'quiet' study areas, a lot of tables with just chargers and no computers for people with their laptops to work at.

Level 5 is a 'silent' work area - while you're allowed to make a reasonable amount of noise in the other floors, you can't on the 5th floor. Strangely enough, I've had a couple kissing next to me on level 4 so that can only be a good thing. :s-smilie:

So the library is a pretty nice place. You do get fines for overdue library books. How much? Well, I'm not sure, I've never returned a book late. :wink:

It has a lot of interesting books, and if you want to read something you can look it up on the library's homepage to see if they have it.

So, why the pun in the title.. well. I use the library between lectures, and from Week 1 it was fairly busy. Now, pretty much everywhere is full within the first few minutes of one phase of people leaving for their lectures (so around 5 past the hour), and it can often be difficult to find a computer or even somewhere to sit without awkwardly sitting next to someone. What's worse, sometimes people monopolize computers by leaving their clothes/bags there (though to be fair they could just be going to the toilet) and others don't even use the computer, but sit at a space with a computer and use their laptop instead.

So the library could be improved by having more space, but otherwise it's got no complaints from me.

It is rather late so I'll talk about my week / what's been covered in lectures tomorrow. :borat:

please.
That escalated quickly!

With week 8 about the bgin, I can't believe how fast the semester has gone. I've mentioned it before, but after week 11 you get 3 weeks off, a revisionweek in week 15 and then exams for the next few weeks before something called the intersemester break. :party::party2::party:

A bit of detail about Mathematical Sciences at Bath:

Spoiler

Right, that took a bit of time. :colondollar:

I do love these placement talks, they are always very useful. This week LV visited to talk about actuaries and quite a few people, including myself, were interested. I still haven't heard back from Sainsbury's and I think I'll be applying to two actuarial firms as it is what I want to do in the future.

Actuaries are people, usually from Mathematical backgrounds, who use knowledge about probabilities and modelling, law and other things to offer insight into businesses about how they can imrpove or what decisions they should make. You can specialise in areas like insurance or pensions. You need 3 years of work experience as an actuary and to pass some tests (inclding some Maths ones!) to fully qualify and become fully part of the IFoA (institute and faculty of actuaries). This is what keeps me going to study Probability and Statistics (as well as how much I enjoy both disciplines). As a side note, the pay is pretty good. Not as good as investment banking but then again, they pay a lot!

So if you're interested in studying Maths at university, this may be a career for you to look into.

In Japanese we had a speaking test.

What they're like at Bath:

The aim is to show off what you've learned (for all of the tests, but writing and speaking especially), as well as extra stuff you know. In speaking, pronunciation is important, as well as inflexions in your voice, and you get marked on that as well as content and lack of stuttering/silence.

You get a piece of paper with an open-ended question/task written on it (I can't say what mine was), and you are paired up with the person next to you. You get to prepare/practice/brainstorm for a few minutes, but you're not allowed to just write everything down and read off it.

It's probably the toughest component (out of speaking, listening, reading and writing) as it's possible to get 100% in the other tests, and it is quite nerve-wracking to speak in front of everyone.

Apart from that, it's just been revision and learning new things. Seeing all of the volunteers in front of the library made me realise that I haven't been involved as much as I should have for one or two reasons, but I do aim to try a lot harder in the second semester.

Some friends have been suggesting to do the Bath half marathon. I'd love to do it but I'm not sure if I'd even get a decent attempt at it. I'll go home, get my running gear again and go for runs with the other guys and see how that goes before committing.

Sorry for the delay, but I had a feeling that the two posts would be rather long.

Until next week!
(edited 8 years ago)
studentroom.JPG

There's the plot from my Maths section post - it turns out that there were issues all around TSR with uploading things, and now I'm getting them again but being unable to edit posts with images, so here it is!
(edited 8 years ago)
"I'm just about to apply there, actually... oh, you've got an assessment centre there?"

Week 8.. the end of the 11 weeks of teaching is almost in sight.

The last day of lectures is Friday the 11th (not the 13th :colondollar:). I believe that 6th form/secondary etc go on for a week after. What do lecturers do between weeks 11 and 15.. probably scattered around the university buildings like the Krillitanes from Doctor Who.

Just joking, of course. They probably have loads of research papers to do and or Masters'/PhD students to look after.

What's been going on this week in Bath?

It's been windy and cold on the campus. It seems like gloves are a must some times. And yet, there are people wandering around in gym shorts and without a coat! How do they do it. :iiam:

I was talking to a friend, who I nickname 'Mr Employability', asking him how placements were going amongst other things. Today he's flown off back to Belfast for an assessment centre, and next week he is off to London for another one! He applied to a company that I was planning on applying to this weekend, passed the interview stage and is headed off for his interview, which is quite daunting considering I've not applied yet.

He's possibly one of the most charming/nice people I've ever met at the university and it's taken him a long way. He's a treasurer for one or two societies and after tutorials he always says right, I've got a meeting at this time.... see you later, and if it's not a meeting then it's one of the sessions run by the careers service (mock assessment centres, workshops, presentations etc). He is doing it right and they must love him at interviews.

Myself, on the other hand, have only just heard back from Sainbsury's. I've made it through to the final stage - assessment centre! :woo:

They've given 3 possible dates, one of which is next week and then the other two slots are on the same day, but one in the morning and one in the evening. I haven't made up my mind as to which one I'll ask to go to, and I'm wondering whether it's worth asking if I can go to the first one or not. And as luck would have it, there's a mock assessment centre being run by the careers service just for Maths students.

So yes, I'd just ask people who are applying to Bath, or indeed to any university, see if there's a placement year along with your course as they are great and really popular. If not, summer internships are probably what you need to be doing. Also, get involved in loads of stuff!

A few weeks ago I was working really hard on my stats coursework, and amazingly the tutors seem to have marked it in record time. Lo and behold, the first thing I've ever done at uni that actually counts towards my degree!

Spoiler

Weeelll... it counts for 10% of the Stats module, which is 20% of the semester, or 10% of the whole year, so that's 1% of this year's work done. Seems huge when you put it into perspective. :colondollar:

The second one is worth 15% and seems easier than the first, oddly, but more because it's about Type 1 and Type 2 errors, and powers of tests, which I've done in S4, a module that hardly anyone does at A-level. :colondollar:. It's at this point that I appreciate the choice of degree I've made. I really love Statistics and R, and probability isn't so bad either, and hopefully both will be very useful when it comes to being an actuary.

I was going to have gone through all of the existing probability lecture notes and go through an example of a question in this post, but I've priorotised my coursework and a few applications so that'll be coming next week. Sorry! There may or may not be a mystery guest popping along to give a review of one of the facilities at Bath, just to give a different perspective on things.

I've heard that next week, Bath's renowned Christmas market is starting up again, so I may be able to get something nice.

I'm off to do some revision on Sainsbury's, their competitors and Statistics. See ya!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending