Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

University of Bath applicants for 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sarahemilyglass
I just for my offer for maths:smile: A*AA without STEP

Grats
I want one. But they are not responding!
When did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by sarahemilyglass
I just for my offer for maths:smile: A*AA without STEP

:woo: :party2: congrats!
Original post by physicsmaths
Grats
When did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied late october I think
Original post by physicsmaths
Grats
When did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there!

I'm a first year Computer Science student here at Bath and I've just finished my first semester so I can remember the wait really vividly.

What I would say is if you have applied for a competitive course then it is likely that the university will receive a high volume of applications for the course. Processing all these applications takes time, and the university may make offers to applicants in batches in order to invite equal numbers of applicants to each department open day.

It is difficult for universities to anticipate how many applications they will receive for each course, and the number received at the start of the cycle is not always a reliable indication of how many they will receive later on. Therefore, in order to ensure equal consideration of all applications, universities will sometimes wait until after the 15 January UCAS deadline to make decisions on applications for more competitive courses.

Hope this puts your mind at rest!

Chris
Original post by NatalieEXE
Economics BSc with Industrial Placement, applied 12th November, patiently awaiting a reply!

I've applied for the same course- my application was sent off at the end of November, still waiting for a reply!
Reply 385
Hello! I`m applying from peru :smile: Ii`m so excited i hope i get an offer at business and management course
I do not like this waiting game, but good luck with your application!
Where else have you applied?

Original post by natienoo
I've applied for the same course- my application was sent off at the end of November, still waiting for a reply!
Original post by SeanFM
x

Hi Sean :hello: do you have any idea when the Bath Admissions' Christmas holidays are over? I am getting impatient :laugh:
Original post by DylanJ42
Hi Sean :hello: do you have any idea when the Bath Admissions' Christmas holidays are over? I am getting impatient :laugh:

Hey Dylan

I haven't the foggiest whether they work over the Christmas break or not or when they would get back. I know that it's stressful/boring to wait but don't let them ruin your Christmas/New Years and hopefully you hear back soon. :h:
Original post by SeanFM
Hey Dylan

I haven't the foggiest whether they work over the Christmas break or not or when they would get back. I know that it's stressful/boring to wait but don't let them ruin your Christmas/New Years and hopefully you hear back soon. :h:

It'll not go as far as to ruin my break, but I'd just rather know, even if it is a rejection :bebored:

How was your christmas btw? :smile:
It'll not go as far as to ruin my break, but I'd just rather know, even if it is a rejection :bebored:

How was your christmas btw? :smile:

I know what you mean :frown:

Oh yeah not too bad thanks, just full of revision for January exams >.> how about you?
Original post by SeanFM
I know what you mean :frown:

Oh yeah not too bad thanks, just full of revision for January exams >.> how about you?

Oh damn, how many january exams do you have?

Mostly been working through FP3, although I'm finding it very hard to get off the computer and work though the vectors chapter haha :yawn: One textbook exercise max and then I'm bored of it, and that's doing every other question :laugh:
Reply 392
Doing Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. I've applied for the Aerospace Engineering Meng course.
Oh damn, how many january exams do you have?

Mostly been working through FP3, although I'm finding it very hard to get off the computer and work though the vectors chapter haha :yawn: One textbook exercise max and then I'm bored of it, and that's doing every other question :laugh:

5, 1 per module :redface:

:rofl: I know the feeling, you do a question and its like oh I can do this, no point in practicing further, and sometimes the material isn't very engaging (vectors are just one of those things :sad:)
Original post by SeanFM
5, 1 per module :redface:

:rofl: I know the feeling, you do a question and its like oh I can do this, no point in practicing further, and sometimes the material isn't very engaging (vectors are just one of those things :sad:)

and what are they like? I'm assuming nothing like alevel exams? Also is it true that university maths contains next to no numbers, or is that exaggerated?

but at the same time you don't want to get complacent and end up rushing the content, to then get destroyed by a past paper...

the whole matrix discriminant thing was slightly amusing as a way to work out the vector product, however I must admit I have absolutely no idea how it works :laugh:
and what are they like? I'm assuming nothing like alevel exams? Also is it true that university maths contains next to no numbers, or is that exaggerated?

but at the same time you don't want to get complacent and end up rushing the content, to then get destroyed by a past paper...

the whole matrix discriminant thing was slightly amusing as a way to work out the vector product, however I must admit I have absolutely no idea how it works :laugh:

I talked a bit about what exams actually are like (in terms of like the exam hall etc here).

I have heard that Rachel Riley got through her degree at Oxford without ever seeing a numerical answer :tongue: but no. There is always some theory in a past exam paper, and depending on the module you do have to compute some things (one module I'm doing this year, 75% of the exam is just calculating things (though not as easy as it sounds!)) wheras something like Algebra, say, is more theory based.

In Maths here, for the first year you get a section A and section B. Section A tends to cover a few distinct areas that you've studied and then B goes into much more detail and you get to pick 2 out of 3 questions in section B (you can attempt all 3, but only the best 2 are marked and I'm not sure if you'd have enough time to give full attempts to each question in section B) and section A is compulsory.

The second year they change it, so that you get 4 questions, just one section, and it's best 3 out of 4, and those questions look at a quarter of the module each (naturally).

It is difficult to score highly unless you're really clued up, but not impossible to do well. :wink:

Ah, I can't say that bit of FP3 rings a bell (I didn't study it and that area of FP3 hasn't come up so far :colondollar:)
Original post by SeanFM
I talked a bit about what exams actually are like (in terms of like the exam hall etc here).

I have heard that Rachel Riley got through her degree at Oxford without ever seeing a numerical answer :tongue: but no. There is always some theory in a past exam paper, and depending on the module you do have to compute some things (one module I'm doing this year, 75% of the exam is just calculating things (though not as easy as it sounds!)) wheras something like Algebra, say, is more theory based.

In Maths here, for the first year you get a section A and section B. Section A tends to cover a few distinct areas that you've studied and then B goes into much more detail and you get to pick 2 out of 3 questions in section B (you can attempt all 3, but only the best 2 are marked and I'm not sure if you'd have enough time to give full attempts to each question in section B) and section A is compulsory.

The second year they change it, so that you get 4 questions, just one section, and it's best 3 out of 4, and those questions look at a quarter of the module each (naturally).

It is difficult to score highly unless you're really clued up, but not impossible to do well. :wink:

Ah, I can't say that bit of FP3 rings a bell (I didn't study it and that area of FP3 hasn't come up so far :colondollar:)

I will give that a read now :biggrin:

So you could pick modules which involve very little numbers but you could also pick modules where you use numbers quite a bit?

That sounds like quite a nice format actually, the fact you can leave a question completely out in section B probably helps relax you a little beforehand, I remember in my economics GCSE (slightly different i know, but still :laugh:) we were offered three essays at the end and only had to do one, so i didnt really get too nervous about it as I knew I could definitely answer one question pretty well

second year sounds a little more intense, how long are you given to do these three questions, and are you pressurised for time?

Maybe you'll enjoy it more as it will be explained to you most likely, I'm just learning the facts and equations at this stage. I just cant wait to get vectors finished haha
I will give that a read now :biggrin:

So you could pick modules which involve very little numbers but you could also pick modules where you use numbers quite a bit?

That sounds like quite a nice format actually, the fact you can leave a question completely out in section B probably helps relax you a little beforehand, I remember in my economics GCSE (slightly different i know, but still :laugh:) we were offered three essays at the end and only had to do one, so i didnt really get too nervous about it as I knew I could definitely answer one question pretty well

second year sounds a little more intense, how long are you given to do these three questions, and are you pressurised for time?

Maybe you'll enjoy it more as it will be explained to you most likely, I'm just learning the facts and equations at this stage. I just cant wait to get vectors finished haha

Mmm, I suppose you could if you look at it that way. But I wouldn't recommend on basing your choices on that alone. For me it was more a case of 'there's no way I'm doing that Computing module or this mechanics module' etc so I tried to avoid those as best as I could and here I am.

Yes it does, unless the 'easier' question of the choices is on a section of the module that you're less confident on. That would bite.

Yes, exactly that :tongue: but more pressure than than 1 out of 3.

All the second year papers are 3 out of 4 questions and 2 hours long (I think!). And yes, for almost every exam last year I was working until the last minute.

I suppose so yeah. Good luck with your studies :tongue:
Original post by SeanFM
Mmm, I suppose you could if you look at it that way. But I wouldn't recommend on basing your choices on that alone. For me it was more a case of 'there's no way I'm doing that Computing module or this mechanics module' etc so I tried to avoid those as best as I could and here I am.

Yes it does, unless the 'easier' question of the choices is on a section of the module that you're less confident on. That would bite.

Yes, exactly that :tongue: but more pressure than than 1 out of 3.

All the second year papers are 3 out of 4 questions and 2 hours long (I think!). And yes, for almost every exam last year I was working until the last minute.

I suppose so yeah. Good luck with your studies :tongue:

I meant in theory, not a chance in hell I'd do a no numbers maths degree. I'd like a nice balance between numbers and I'm assuming letters

Oh is there always one slightly easier question? Surely the easier question would be more harshly marked than the hardest question, otherwise that's surely not fair, its just luck on whether your favourite/strongest section is the easy question

yea 1 out of 3 was a bit of a joke tbh, 1 out of 2 or 2 out of 3 is a little more sensible

That's not so bad I guess, I was honestly expecting you to say something like "answer 3 questions in 4 hours, so roughly 1 hour 20 minutes per question" :facepalm: Were you ever pushed for time at alevel? Running out of time is my biggest fear in exams honestly, I hate being under pressure by the clock

You too, good luck in your January exams :biggrin: (I'll enjoy what is maybe my last year of no January tests)
I meant in theory, not a chance in hell I'd do a no numbers maths degree. I'd like a nice balance between numbers and I'm assuming letters

Oh is there always one slightly easier question? Surely the easier question would be more harshly marked than the hardest question, otherwise that's surely not fair, its just luck on whether your favourite/strongest section is the easy question

yea 1 out of 3 was a bit of a joke tbh, 1 out of 2 or 2 out of 3 is a little more sensible

That's not so bad I guess, I was honestly expecting you to say something like "answer 3 questions in 4 hours, so roughly 1 hour 20 minutes per question" :facepalm: Were you ever pushed for time at alevel? Running out of time is my biggest fear in exams honestly, I hate being under pressure by the clock

You too, good luck in your January exams :biggrin: (I'll enjoy what is maybe my last year of no January tests)

:rofl: yes I think Bath has a nice balance of that.

Mmm. Objectively, I'm not sure. I think I call them 'easy' because I'm more confident on some areas than others, so when I look at the questions that I don't know enough to answer, I think 'cor, that's difficult' when really it might be easier if I knew as much as I did for the other questions.

As for harsh marking, I'm not sure either.

Yikes, those would be some difficult questions :redface:

In Physics, Chemistry and English literature I never finished until the last second, thankfully.
In Maths, depends on the module. I probably finished most modules with about 10 minutes to spare to double check, the exceptions being FP2 and D1. (FP2 because I just struggled with the paper and kept skipping things and D1 because D1 takes a lot of care, drawing stuff out and double checking is a pain).

If you practice enough past papers under exam conditions you should be fine. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest