The Student Room Group

Appealing grade for firm while having a clearing place

I am confirmed for QMUL Mathematics entry through Clearing however am having one of my grades (the only one I missed in my firm offer at Bath) appealed. I was told that I am only able to decline the Clearing offer until the 31st (17th + 14 days past). Bath told me that if I get the required grades they will accept me. Now, (1) Will UCAS be fine with me switching at the last second like this to Bath? (2) I am also applying for SFE and due to the nature of this situation am unable to change my university until it is clear where I am going. Would this cause any problems? (3) What do I do if I don't get the appeal result before the 31st?

Thank you so much, and hopefully any answer to this helps others in a similar situation to mine.
So far as I know, the ‘release myself into clearing’ button will show until the very end of this years clearing, (17th of October).

Does Hub show you as placed at the clearing uni with an option to go back into clearing?

If so, I would give UCAS a bell to make sure there’s no reason you wouldn’t be able to take up the original place if the appeal comes back after the 31at.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
So far as I know, the ‘release myself into clearing’ button will show until the very end of this years clearing, (17th of October).

Does Hub show you as placed at the clearing uni with an option to go back into clearing?

If so, I would give UCAS a bell to make sure there’s no reason you wouldn’t be able to take up the original place if the appeal comes back after the 31at.

Yes, I do have the "release myself into clearing" (hyperlink with the text "Decline my place") button but UCAS has very little transparency about these things so I don't want to risk it.
I will probably call them tomorrow to check about this.

Thank you so much!
Reply 3
Do you have your new grade, and have you emailed Bath with the new grade?
Original post by mrgugg49
I am also applying for SFE and due to the nature of this situation am unable to change my university until it is clear where I am going. Would this cause any problems?

Changing the uni on your SFE account is quite quick - my daughter's change was processed in a few days.
Original post by McGinger
Do you have your new grade, and have you emailed Bath with the new grade?

No, they're still waiting on the outcome of the appeal.
I am confirmed for QMUL Mathematics entry through Clearing however am having one of my grades (the only one I missed in my firm offer at Bath) appealed. I was told that I am only able to decline the Clearing offer until the 31st (17th + 14 days past). Bath told me that if I get the required grades they will accept me. Now, (1) Will UCAS be fine with me switching at the last second like this to Bath? (2) I am also applying for SFE and due to the nature of this situation am unable to change my university until it is clear where I am going. Would this cause any problems? (3) What do I do if I don't get the appeal result before the 31st?

Thank you so much, and hopefully any answer to this helps others in a similar situation to mine.

whoever told you about the deadline for "decline my place" is talking tosh
1) it's available until 6 September as self service and can be processed by universities after that until the 17 October
and
2) if you've met your firm offer conditions following a remark then you wouldn't need to use that anyway - Bath would just talk to UCAS and get your application reinstated back to them

31 August is the notional deadline for meeting offer conditions....but in reality the notional deadline got bumped to 6 September a few years back and noone noticed https://www.ucas.com/advisers/managing-applications/supporting-you-through-confirmation-and-clearing/confirmation-and-clearing-2023-key-dates - and that deadline is completely arbitrary and unenforceable anyway. It's completely at Bath's discretion basically - often if your remark comes in late and they genuinely think it would cause a problem (for accommodation or finance) then they'd offer deferred entry instead.
Reply 7

How many marks were you off by? Do you actually have any chance in getting the next grade? What subject was it if you dont mind me asking
Reply 8
Original post by LKemmett
How many marks were you off by? Do you actually have any chance in getting the next grade? What subject was it if you dont mind me asking

3 marks off, apparently not :smile: and A Level Mathematics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending