The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

International Student Withdrawl

I started uni this september, but as the days go on I am questioning whether it is a good fit for me as I am extremely unhappy and homesick. I was wondering if anyone knows what would happen if I was to withdraw from the uni now - how much of the international school fees would I have to pay and whether I would get refunded some of the 50% I have already paid?
Please help
Original post by Jesskaitlyn
I started uni this september, but as the days go on I am questioning whether it is a good fit for me as I am extremely unhappy and homesick. I was wondering if anyone knows what would happen if I was to withdraw from the uni now - how much of the international school fees would I have to pay and whether I would get refunded some of the 50% I have already paid?
Please help

I'm sad you feel that way. I don't know specifically what is making you feel like this, but maybe next week once lectures start you may settle in more?...

I read somewhere that they recommend you talk to your subjects support centre if you think of withdrawing, they would hopefully let you know the detail regarding the fees etc. but more importantly they would try to help you to stay and put you in touch with other university services which could help you.
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
thanks, yeah I think it is because it is just a huge shock in terms of the change, and my family being 7 hours (by plane) away. I am really hoping that it will get better once i get busier and have less time to think about it/get into a routine so things become more normal.I know that I can speak to the university about it, but I feel like that would be make everything more real and that I shouldn't go to them unless I was sure that I wanted to leave. I just wanted to know more about it a little so that if it did come to it I knew what do to. Because I heard that there was a cancellation period where you have a time that you can withdraw from and not have to pay the fees (but this was at a different university and not for international students) - so I wanted to find out if there was a time period I should be aware of when it comes to properly deciding whether this university and this time is right for me.
thanks, yeah I think it is because it is just a huge shock in terms of the change, and my family being 7 hours (by plane) away. I am really hoping that it will get better once i get busier and have less time to think about it/get into a routine so things become more normal.I know that I can speak to the university about it, but I feel like that would be make everything more real and that I shouldn't go to them unless I was sure that I wanted to leave. I just wanted to know more about it a little so that if it did come to it I knew what do to. Because I heard that there was a cancellation period where you have a time that you can withdraw from and not have to pay the fees (but this was at a different university and not for international students) - so I wanted to find out if there was a time period I should be aware of when it comes to properly deciding whether this university and this time is right for me.

Well I hope that is the case :smile:. The University are here to help, they would probably be happier if you go to them before being 100% sure you wanted to leave, so they could help you. What course are you doing? Have you made friends with people at your accommodation and/or people from your course?
Reply 4
Im studying business studies, but I picked it due to the fact that I have no idea what i want to do in the future and i thought this would help to keep my options open. My flat mates are completely different to me, they really like to go out a lot and they smoke (which smells the flat up) so there is always a lot of noise here, needless to say i am not very close to them. I havent really met anyone in my course, but i just feel that i do not fit in with the people here, i dont know if it a mental thing or what but i have that feeling and i think it is causing me to not make friends as easily.
Please don't leave so soon join societies, meet people and start working and you'll begin to get less home sick. It's all a distraction and once you're past the first few weeks you will be fine. Also the university is there to support you and there is many services especially for international students so please get in touch with them if you're struggling as they can't help you if they don't know.

Im studying business studies, but I picked it due to the fact that I have no idea what i want to do in the future and i thought this would help to keep my options open. My flat mates are completely different to me, they really like to go out a lot and they smoke (which smells the flat up) so there is always a lot of noise here, needless to say i am not very close to them. I havent really met anyone in my course, but i just feel that i do not fit in with the people here, i dont know if it a mental thing or what but i have that feeling and i think it is causing me to not make friends as easily.

I was the same you're hardly ever in the flat anyway make friends on your course, societies and sports clubs. I just walked up to someone before the first lecture and we formed a group to go to lectures and sometimes we see each other in seminars. There are so many ways of making friends you just kind of have to be a bit braver during the first few weeks.
Reply 6
thanks, yeah im really hoping that i will just settle down soon. i think right now because i am in such a horrible place in terms of settling in it is hard to see that it will get better, which is making it hard to not just decide to up and leave. and being 100% honest i think if it wasnt for the amount of money that my family has invested in me going to university and the fact that i have no idea what i would do with my life if i didnt go to university and have a degree to fall back on, i wouldve already left. i looked through the societies to see what they had but i dont see one that interests me and because of it i dont see myself joining a society.
What about sports clubs ultimate frisbee and squash seemed fun try and find at least one thing.
Reply 8
im not really a sporty person, i think id do something more creative or something. i will have to go to the welcome fair and see what they have
im not really a sporty person, i think id do something more creative or something. i will have to go to the welcome fair and see what they have

How did you get on at the welcome fair?

In addition to the additional comments above, joining a sports team (even if you are not sporty, just something you're interested in) or a society is by far the best way to make lasting ties as a student. You will spend lots of time together, get a wide network of friends and even become better at a sport that you might not have tried before.

To answer your original post. You have until the 25th of October to decide if you wish to continue with your studies at the University of Liverpool. Before this date you get a full refund of the tuition fees that you have paid so far. After this date the fees will be charged incrementally on a pro rata basis. You will also be liable to cover the rent of the flat for the entire length of the tenancy agreement, unless you can find someone to take your place (through advertising a room on here or through the university itself)

I would definitely recommend speaking to the international team from the student services department as they can assist you with any troubles that you are having. Not only is it their job to assist you and make sure that you are comfortable being a student at Liverpool, they can relate to you as they are often ex-international students themselves.

Regarding your noisy living conditions, it is best to speak to the reception of your university accommodation. If that is not possible then try to speak to the caretaker, or someone from the holding company and tell them that you wish to make a complaint. If you complain, they can even assist you with moving to another room in your accommodation and see if that solves the problem of noisy neighbours and it also gives you a chance to get a new set of housemates if the ones you have do not take your fancy.

A final point. If you are not sure if you will enjoy the course, then you can see if there are other courses in Liverpool that you can transfer to (if you have an idea of what you would like to study instead of business studies).
Reply 10
My welcome fair is next week, it may be worth mentioning that i am John Moores University and not Uni of, however I could not find it when making this thread and thought that this was the most similar option. I really wouldnt mind joining a society if it looked interesting and like something i would enjoy.

Saying this about the university, do you know if this date is the same for LJMU? as it is kind of reassuring knowing that i have some time to really try and settle in before making a decision as important a this, Also does this apply to International students as well?

I have spoken the my accommodation rep about the smoking as this for me in the biggest issue, and they have made a plan in terms of getting my flatmates aware that smoking is not allowed, without informing them that there has been a complaint - however i think they have actually stopped smoking inside as the smell is slowly going away (knock on wood).

I have looked into what other courses the University offers, but i think i will have to give business a good try first before transferring - also i kind of like the idea that it leaves my options open, but we will see.
Reply 11
How are you holding up? I'm Canadian and I've applied to the Uni of Liverpool and was wondering how you were doing! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending