The Student Room Group

Downstairs bedroom??

Ok so just got a house next year. I kinda have a choice between two room, both the same size but ones next to the living room downstairs and ones between two other bedrooms up stairs. I like the idea of having a bit of privacy for the down stairs one whereas upstairs they'll be someone in the attic above me and people on either side. dont know if this matters but just wondering what you'd rather have a downstairs room or upstairs one? I have a boyfriend by the way if that figures in anything.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you have the one by the lounge you might get kept up by your mates when they stay up but you want to sleep :frown:
Reply 2
I'd think an upstairs one would give more privacy than one where people are going to be coming and going for lounge and front door...
Reply 3
Yeah in my boyfriends house this year..the guy that was in the downstairs room was always being kept awake from people coming in at all hours.. Although he tended to moan the most about people having the telly on too loud when he was trying to sleep at 3pm :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Yeah, put the person who sleeps least in the room next to the living room. The guy in our downstairs room is never there!
Reply 5
Yeah i get what your saying but to be honest theres 5 of us in the house and we are all pretty much best mates and go out together, so i doubt people will be walking in and out in early morning and they like to watch tv in their rooms unless we're gonna watch TV together, or maybe in the morning they'll be in the living room more than at night. Argh i dunno!

You do have some good points though..and having to go upstairs for the toilet would be a painnn....hmmm
Reply 6
Our toilet and bathroom is downstairs :biggrin: I'm at the end of the landing upstairs, so I'm the furthest away :frown:
Reply 7
I'm downstairs. Obviously depends on your house and housemates, but despite being between the kitchen and the lounge, I sleep well. Even when housemates are staying up next door. I am quite a heavy sleeper.

I love my room.
Reply 8
i had a downstairs room, and it was smaller, so i paid less rent than my two housemates :smile: the bathroom was downstairs as well, so it was nice to be on the same level as that. and it meant that when moving in and out i didn't have to carry all my stuff up our really steep stairs :smile:
I live downstairs and love it - we have 2 toilets, one in the bathroom upstairs and one with a sink downstairs, so at night that's like my private toilet :biggrin: and during the day when no-one is there. I'm the one that stays up the latest in my house anyway, and it's usually them that complains to me about playing music too loudly when they're in the living room!
I have a massive window though, and even though it's the second smallest room in the house I prefer it, I have a boyfriend as well so the privacy is great!
Cons: It does tend to get very cold, so you might need an extra heater. If you're a girl, or even a boy, make sure there is a lock so that no intruders can jump into your room, as yours'll be the room they go to first. That's what the bf says anyway, hence my newly installed lock and instructions :-P
Reply 10
makeshiftwings
I live downstairs and love it - we have 2 toilets, one in the bathroom upstairs and one with a sink downstairs, so at night that's like my private toilet :biggrin: and during the day when no-one is there. I'm the one that stays up the latest in my house anyway, and it's usually them that complains to me about playing music too loudly when they're in the living room!
I have a massive window though, and even though it's the second smallest room in the house I prefer it, I have a boyfriend as well so the privacy is great!
Cons: It does tend to get very cold, so you might need an extra heater. If you're a girl, or even a boy, make sure there is a lock so that no intruders can jump into your room, as yours'll be the room they go to first. That's what the bf says anyway, hence my newly installed lock and instructions :-P

yeah i thought the major advantage would be privacy cos of the boyfriend, I dont want to get all scared that i think they might here anything lol :p:

Hmm though dont have a toilet downstairs :s-smilie: and im so used to having a sink in my room in halls!
I'd be tempted to say upstairs; probably because i'm nosy and wouldn't want to miss out on anything!
Reply 12
I'm going downstairs but I am only living with two other girls and we all tend t6o go to bed around the same time so I'm not too worried about being kept awake. Also, the was quite a big distance in room size so I managed to get the biggest room!
Reply 13
The person who is in the room downstairs is usually the one that ends up answering the door to let people in.
Yeah the above is certainly true, especially at 8am when the postman knocks with a package.
Reply 15
Dude
The person who is in the room downstairs is usually the one that ends up answering the door to let people in.

Ohh yeh good one, wouldnt have thought of that. And i hate opening the bloody door...hmm
Reply 16
In our house for next year we've got one bedroom downstairs at the front and i really didnt want it because of the safety issue. I'd be far more worried about someone breaking in if i lived downstairs on the front. Also the bathroom issue, our bathrooms are in the cellar then upstairs, which might get a bit annoying.

I've got the middle room upstairs next to the bathroom :biggrin: Not the biggest room but the 'nicest' with a victorian fireplace and new furniture!! I cant wait to move in, i'm so excited.
Reply 17
oooh, i agree about the whole having to answer the door thing/getting woken up early by the postman. that gets quite annoying sometimes :s-smilie:
Reply 18
black-cat
oooh, i agree about the whole having to answer the door thing/getting woken up early by the postman. that gets quite annoying sometimes :s-smilie:

Another tip though - don't put your heaviest sleeper in the downstairs room. You'll have to make a lot of trips to the post office! We hardly hear the door upstairs, and my housemate sleeps through everything!
Reply 19
lemonspongecake
Ohh yeh good one, wouldnt have thought of that. And i hate opening the bloody door...hmm

Trust me, it gets really annoying. Esspecially when your mates are knocking on your window at 2am after they've been the pub and want to stay up partying longer.

Latest

Trending

Trending