The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield Red Lane accommodation

I have been looking at accommodation for the 20/21 year and like the location of the Red Lane accommodation, however I haven't been able to find any pictures of the rooms. Does anyone have any pictures of the rooms/shared areas or any other information about the rooms, for example whether the rooms have sinks?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I have been looking at accommodation for the 20/21 year and like the location of the Red Lane accommodation, however I haven't been able to find any pictures of the rooms. Does anyone have any pictures of the rooms/shared areas or any other information about the rooms, for example whether the rooms have sinks?
Hey! Did you end up staying there? I've booked this accomodation as a returning student for next year and also trying to find photos online :smile: Would love to see some if you have any!
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hey! Did you end up staying there? I've booked this accomodation as a returning student for next year and also trying to find photos online :smile: Would love to see some if you have any!
I did. I don't think I have any pictures, but I can tell you what it was like when I was there. I'm not sure if it will still be the same (and honestly I hope it isn't for your sake, there were a number of issues).
Overall it was okay. Nice sized rooms with sinks and it has a living room although none of us really used it (COVID probably didn't help with that), and there are two doors for you to get in. The corridors are pretty weird. It's one corridor that goes from the front door (where the living room and one bedroom are), upstairs (where the front bathroom and one bedroom are), upstairs again (top floor where four bedrooms are), downstairs (back bathroom and one bedroom), and downstairs again (one bedroom and kitchen) where there is a back door. There is a door between the kitchen and living room, so you don't need to walk all the way through the house for that).
I had room 2, which was near the back door. It was terrible in winter, really cold even with the radiator on full. Pretty small desk, and the bed wasn't in the corner (I prefer corner beds). It was a really tough mattress, try take extra pillows (or maybe a mattress topper if you can) if you're a side sleeper like I am, otherwise your shoulder will hurt.
There are two bathrooms for the 8 rooms, they are decent sizes, each one is split into two, one has a toilet and sink and the other has a toilet, sink, and shower. If you don't like spiders, don't use the one at the back of the house, the one at the front was smaller but spider free.
The kitchen is way too small for 8 people. It was about the same size as the kitchens I had for 5 bedroom flats. Try get there early and claim a decent sized cupboard. I'm hoping that they expanded the kitchen into the living room, or at least have extra storage there. If not, prepare to keep a lot of your lesser used kitchen stuff in your room.
It's quite a trek to the launderette. Try take something with wheels or at least a big strong bag to make it easier.
Also, you're pretty close to endcliffe so expect some loud nights, especially at the beginning. I was definitely spoilt by staying at Crewe (really peaceful) my first year.
That's all I can think of at the moment. Feel free to ask about anything I have missed.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #2
Oh, and before I forget. Be careful with the gate. There were a couple of days where it was either frozen or the wood had swollen and I couldn't get it open. And if you're bedroom is on the ground floor, be wary of accidental jump scares through the window in spring from someone mowing the grass.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending