The Student Room Group

History HL vs. Economics HL

I have to decide between taking History HL or Economics HL as my Group 3 subject. My other higher level subjects are Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry, so the chosen subject will serve to "round out" my diploma (it will not be specifically related to potential university courses). Which one, of the two, do you think will be looked upon the most favourably by universities, specifically UK and US ones?
History!

Honestly it's so good! I hated it last year, gave it another chance and I'm so glad I did. Also Universities love it!
It really depends on your own interests and abilities. Many people in my year take HL Economics with HL Physics+Chem and still got accepted into prestigious unis (e.g. Imperial), so I don't think you need to choose between HL History/Economics to 'round out' your diploma.

I take both HL History and HL Economics and I love both of them. However, Economics is a lot easier to manage so only take HL History if you're really interested in the subject and if you're willing to put in the commitment to study it. Also take a look at the topics your school is covering - for me, I'm taking Asian history which I enjoy, so that's great. However, I'd run in the opposite direction if my school went for the European history option.
Reply 3
Original post by marcelgs
I have to decide between taking History HL or Economics HL as my Group 3 subject. My other higher level subjects are Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry, so the chosen subject will serve to "round out" my diploma (it will not be specifically related to potential university courses). Which one, of the two, do you think will be looked upon the most favourably by universities, specifically UK and US ones?

OMG YOU TOOK MAD HARD SUBJECTS FOR YOUR HL - i have history sl and econ hl and i can confidently tell you and STRONGLY ADVICE you to take HL Econ because history is A LOT OF WORK. Its insane how much work, how many books and all you have to deal with. It'd be ok to take history hl but keeping in mind that you have chem phy AND math it'd be smart to take econ instead of history. Also econ has a better reputation (in the UK) than history :smile:
hope i helped
Reply 4
You'll probably take an economics module in university, take Econ its much easier to get a 7
really? econ has a better reputation? I didn't know (O.O) My school doesn't offer it so I don't know much about it but I thought it was considered a 'soft' subject. History gives you critical thinking skills at least.
Reply 6
Original post by AgnesGrey1
really? econ has a better reputation? I didn't know (O.O) My school doesn't offer it so I don't know much about it but I thought it was considered a 'soft' subject. History gives you critical thinking skills at least.

I'd say its risky to study econ if your school doesn't offer it as an IB subject. for History HL only 2% get a 7 so its really difficult! But I'd still choose economics since Its more interesting in my opinion. whichever you choose I wish you luck! If you need any help I take
Math, physics and Computer Science at Hl
Economics, Literature and Performance, Arabic B at SL
Reply 7
Original post by AgnesGrey1

Also are you going to take 4 Higher Levels? I'd advice you not to, three HLs are enough to get you into amazing universities the 4th one is just unnecessary.
Original post by samiesto
I'd say its risky to study econ if your school doesn't offer it as an IB subject. for History HL only 2% get a 7 so its really difficult! But I'd still choose economics since Its more interesting in my opinion. whichever you choose I wish you luck! If you need any help I take
Math, physics and Computer Science at Hl
Economics, Literature and Performance, Arabic B at SL

I'm not the OP, haha. Obviously I'm not taking econ.
I'm already on my second year IB.
Original post by samiesto
Also are you going to take 4 Higher Levels? I'd advice you not to, three HLs are enough to get you into amazing universities the 4th one is just unnecessary.

I agree that 4 HL's are completely unnecessary and even more so because you are already taking the 3 hardest HL subjects in IB. To answer your question I can only comment on history which can be a lot of work because there is so much material. However, there are always lots of options to choose from (on paper 2 especially) so learning a few topics really well can still give you a good grade.
I do both, both are well respected and economics is a million times easier, so if you don't want to use it, economics will take up less time. However, I find history more interesting, so it's up to you!
Original post by cookiestarninja
It really depends on your own interests and abilities. Many people in my year take HL Economics with HL Physics+Chem and still got accepted into prestigious unis (e.g. Imperial), so I don't think you need to choose between HL History/Economics to 'round out' your diploma.

I take both HL History and HL Economics and I love both of them. However, Economics is a lot easier to manage so only take HL History if you're really interested in the subject and if you're willing to put in the commitment to study it. Also take a look at the topics your school is covering - for me, I'm taking Asian history which I enjoy, so that's great. However, I'd run in the opposite direction if my school went for the European history option.

---
Oh wow, I take HL history and HL economics too! it's a great combination.
Reply 12
Is Eco HL really easier than History HL? I'm confused between either of them; I don't know which to choose. I like History more, but am not good at memorisation. Plus I've read that History HL is damn difficult and Eco is easier. But I've also heard that Eco has math in it (I suck at math). What do you think? Which sub should I pick?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending