The Student Room Group

dropped of university over 13 years ago and i want to go back

hi guys need some advice as well me my self i dropped out of uni back in 2003 after i done 3 years and i had only the exam and few modules to complete and few course work but i dropped out of uni, as i had personal things and i was stressed and depressed and i could not continue or concentrate at all... now after more than 14 years i am settled now..wife and kids and everything is sorted it took me quite few years to get my life in order...i now want to go back to uni to earn my degree but i want to do a different course from what i was doing before...i was doing computer science but now i no longer want to do that i want to go and study business management and marketing as i am more in to business now and want to start up my own business as well..when i started uni i did take the student loans but since then i was not able to pay as i never got a steady job or any job which paid more than what the requirement asked...now here comes thee questions...if i want to go to uni...and do the course i want..what will the university require from me to do..as i am ready to even start foundation course or access course..will the student finance accept to pay for the tuition fee only as that its what i require and in need of assistance even thought i am not or have not been able to pay the previous loan..but as i know this time i am ready to commit and to finish off and earn a degree..please only give appropriate answer if you know the proper and right information as i want to know the right info and i have been informed this its the best place i cant get answers to questions i require..thank you

Reply 1
Original post by muzzy247
i dropped out of uni back in 2003 after i done 3 years.......I now want to go back to uni to earn my degree but i want to do a different course from what i was doing before..

when i started uni i did take the student loans but since then i was not able to pay

what will the university require from me to do..as i am ready to even start foundation course or access course..

will the student finance accept to pay for the tuition fee

Ok, so student finance will fund you for the length of your course (usually 3 years) + 1 gift year. You have already had 3 years of funding, however I don't know if you will be entitled to a gift year if you are starting an entire new course as I saw another user say he was not entitled to it for this reason.

Basically, best case scenario: You are entitled to one year of student finance (gift year) and therefore will have to fund the first two years of your new course yourself. Worst case scenario: You will have to fund the full three years yourself. You should ring student finance and ask them.

In terms of entry requirements, you need to ask the university you want to go to what they need or check for the requirements on their website. You might want to speak to them though as I assume you are a mature student and sometimes they consider these cases individually.
Reply 2

will the student finance accept to pay for the tuition fee only as that its what i require and in need of assistance even thought i am not or have not been able to pay the previous loan..

Student Finance may give you the maintenance loan (or grant) for the duration of another degree course but you will only receive 1 year tuition fee for your final year. This is because the rule now is that they will provide funds for the typical degree course period of 3 years, + 1 in case you need to repeat a year, minus the years of finance you have previously received.

I know this because I left university during my placement year of a sandwich degree course in 1997 after receiving 2 years of funding. I am repeating a similar degree commencing this year, and need to self fund my first year. This is because I have only 2 years funding allowance remaining which is applied without negotiation to my final 2 years of study. I will receive the maintenance loan only.
Reply 3
thank u guys for ur help
and yes am mature student
also my second year there were some modles i had to retake and when i was in 3rd year thats when i dropped out

hi guys need some advice as well me my self i dropped out of uni back in 2003 after i done 3 years and i had only the exam and few modules to complete and few course work but i dropped out of uni, as i had personal things and i was stressed and depressed and i could not continue or concentrate at all... now after more than 14 years i am settled now..wife and kids and everything is sorted it took me quite few years to get my life in order...i now want to go back to uni to earn my degree but i want to do a different course from what i was doing before...i was doing computer science but now i no longer want to do that i want to go and study business management and marketing as i am more in to business now and want to start up my own business as well..when i started uni i did take the student loans but since then i was not able to pay as i never got a steady job or any job which paid more than what the requirement asked...now here comes thee questions...if i want to go to uni...and do the course i want..what will the university require from me to do..as i am ready to even start foundation course or access course..will the student finance accept to pay for the tuition fee only as that its what i require and in need of assistance even thought i am not or have not been able to pay the previous loan..but as i know this time i am ready to commit and to finish off and earn a degree..please only give appropriate answer if you know the proper and right information as i want to know the right info and i have been informed this its the best place i cant get answers to questions i require..thank you

Generally universities want to see evidence of recent study, so you may need to think about doing A-levels or an Access course before you start. You'll have to ask each individual university/look on their website for that.

As for student finance, you only get that once. So there won't be anymore tuition fee loans, grants are being removed next year so there won't be any maintenance grants and if your family income is low you may be eligible to maintenance loans/childcare grants. If however, you are behind on repayments (rather than just not having paid anything due to not having a high enough income) that would be a different matter and the maintenance loans would probably no longer be available to you. You may be eligible for one more year's funding, but it wouldn't be applied until your final year of a new degree. Have you considered the OU? You would still have to fund yourself, but the fees are less and would allow you to work at the same time, with no recent proof of academic study required.
Reply 5
thank u for your answers and advices and what is OU tell me more about it
thank u for your answers and advices and what is OU tell me more about it

The Open University. They have a really, really extensive website, Google it.
Reply 7
oh thanx might go for that but the degree is it similar to normal universities are they valued as similar and are they accepted
oh thanx might go for that but the degree is it similar to normal universities are they valued as similar and are they accepted

I have no idea for business, you'd have to do some research yourself. There is and Open University section on this forum and some people doing business ontjat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending