The Student Room Group

From Modern Languages to Medicine!

Hi,

I was just wanting people's opinions really. I am 28 and graduated in Modern Languages (1st Class) in 2010. Since graduation I have worked as a translator and have an MA in Human Rights Law. The only contact I've had with medicine/healthcare is through translation as I've done quite a bit of medical translation (which is what has got me interested). However, I have no hands on experience, i.e. no work experience in a healthcare setting. I also do not have any science A levels.

Is it just wishful thinking to stand any chance of getting into graduate entry medicine? I am considering applying next October and spending from now until then getting quality work-experience in a hospital/medical setting and studying for the GMAT.

I was just wondering what people's takes were on this, what would be the best way to go about it and whether it would be impossible! Any opinions from those applying, those who've been offered places/on the course or even medicine graduates would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick
Hi

I'm in a very similar position to you - languages grad who worked in human rights/medical translation. I became interested in medicine about two years ago and since then have tried to get as much voluntary/work experience as possible. I studied for the GAMSAT and UKCAT over the summer and just sat them last month: the GAMSAT was pretty tough (I also have no science A-levels) but the UKCAT went well. I'm now just finishing off my UCAS applications for 2016 entry.

I'm sure you know this and it sounds like you're planning to do it anyway, but it's really important to get some work experience or volunteering in a clinical setting - not just for your application, but for yourself! I started out as a ward volunteer at my local hospital essentially to see if medicine really was for me, and I ended up really enjoying it and spending a whole year there. It was really helpful in deciding whether I had a realistic idea of what a medical career was like and if I actually wanted to be a practising doctor rather than continuing to work in human rights but with more of a public health focus, which was the other option I was considering. Since then I've done quite a bit of other voluntary work and work experience in paediatrics, mental health, and general practice. I'm not sure if it's enough to be successful this round, but the more time I spend on applications and the more work experience I get, the more I want to be a doctor, so I'm fairly relaxed about not getting a place this year and reapplying (especially if my GAMSAT scores are as dismal as I suspect!)

I don't think it's wishful thinking for someone from our background to apply - I know people who have got in straight from undergrad humanities degrees with little work experience, and others who have got in with science degrees and years of healthcare work. I think if you really want it, don't mind working hard, and appreciate that it might take some time, then you have a shot. Of course, remains to be seen how my apps turn out...I'll let you know how I get on! The only difficulty I have found is that as a humanities grad with no science A-levels, there are only a limited number of places I can apply. I'm from London, have lived there most of my life, and would really like to stay there, but as far as I can tell only SGUL will take me. However, I think if you really want to do it, you can't afford to be too picky about location...

Feel free to ask me any questions about how I've gone about studying/applying, although of course I can't yet confidently vouch for the success of my tactics! And good luck!

Elizabeth
Reply 2
Hi Elizabeth,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, it's much appreciated. It's really interesting to meet someone who's done Modern Languages because I don't think there can be many of us wanting to change from languages to medicine!

Yes, I thought more universities accepted applicants with no science A-levels, but looking more into it, even Swansea, which I thought didn't mind, prefer a science A-level. Just out of interest, what universities have you found that don't care about A-levels?

Is the level of science required for the GAMSAT very high?

Thanks and all the best of luck with your application!

Nick
Reply 3
Hi Elizabeth,

Just a quick question. When applying for volunteering roles, were you upfront about it being part of a university application. I wouldn't want it to come accross as selfish/look like I'll leave as soon as I have the experience I need!

Thanks,
Nick
Original post by d50kab
Hi,

I was just wanting people's opinions really. I am 28 and graduated in Modern Languages (1st Class) in 2010. Since graduation I have worked as a translator and have an MA in Human Rights Law. The only contact I've had with medicine/healthcare is through translation as I've done quite a bit of medical translation (which is what has got me interested). However, I have no hands on experience, i.e. no work experience in a healthcare setting. I also do not have any science A levels.

Is it just wishful thinking to stand any chance of getting into graduate entry medicine? I am considering applying next October and spending from now until then getting quality work-experience in a hospital/medical setting and studying for the GMAT.

I was just wondering what people's takes were on this, what would be the best way to go about it and whether it would be impossible! Any opinions from those applying, those who've been offered places/on the course or even medicine graduates would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Hello :smile:

I'm a first year gem student. I graduated with a 2.1 in classics in 2013 and then spent 2 years working in it recruitment while I applied, did volunteering etc. Definitely not a vain hope- as the above poster has said you need to make sure you get plenty of relevant experience and ace whichever tests you decide to do.

Personally, I sat only the UKCAT, but this was because I spent my first year after graduation doing a chemistry a level alongside work etc, which opened up Southampton as an option, and last year king's also accepted arts graduates (which changed this year, unfortunately). I also applied to Newcastle and Warwick.

If you sit the GAMSAT you'll give yourself more options- I believe there are a few options for arts grads, eg st George's, Swansea, Nottingham.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending