The Student Room Group

Withdrawing from my intercalated degree ( after 4th year)

So I have just started my intercalated degree after completing my fourth year of medicine.

I have had a lot issues to deal with throughout my time in medicine and the idea of withdrawing this year and returning to final year in 2016 has entertained my thoughts recently.

Every aspect of my life would benefit if I withdraw but I am finding it very difficult to make this decision. Ultimately I am worried about the implications of this decision.

Has anyone here been through a similar experience ?

“The hardest thing about the road not taken is that you never know where it might have led.”
Hey

I haven't been through a similar experience but I'd imagine that you'd have to justify to your medical school why you've changed your mind and what you'll be doing instead of your intercalated degree?
Reply 2
Original post by greenjellybean
Hey

I haven't been through a similar experience but I'd imagine that you'd have to justify to your medical school why you've changed your mind and what you'll be doing instead of your intercalated degree?

Hey,

Convincing my medical school is the least of my concerns, I wouldn't be suprised if they kicked up a fuss over it, they are experts at that.
I guess if you have compelling reasons as to why you need a break from medicine then they should be okay with it.

Good luck!
Reply 4
My best friend did that. Was fine in the end. If you need to do it and you think it's right for you then do it. If you won't regret not intercalating then don't make yourself miserable.
Reply 5
If this is what you need then do it -- I wanted to drop out during my intercal year but never had the balls.
Reply 6
If it's causing you a lot of stress, I'd encourage you to withdraw. No use in risking your grades/degree classification because of problems that you've recognised now, this early in the academic year. At least you still have a place in Medicine to go back to and be able to finish your degree. Taking some time out would probably be very beneficial for you and you'll be able to return to Medicine with renewed energy and enthusiasm. :smile:
Hello,

I was just wondering if you had made a decision to withdraw from your intercalated year, and how it went if so?

I have a meeting with my advisor of studies tomorrow to discuss me doing the same, as for a few reasons, I don't think I am able to complete the year.

I was wondering how this affects funding however? Is it possible to still receive the rest of my loan for the year even if I withdraw (and return to medicine next year)?
Reply 8
I had similar intentions while I did my intercalated degree.

A number of factors really. Personally would have been better for my mental health to withdraw (or at least get a different supervisor & project!) as the research bit was the most unpleasant experience ever, courtesy of an incompetent supervisor.

Nevertheless, I stuck through it. I may be a little messed up in my head now, but that experience taught me how to be resilient and more thick skinned, something which I think has helped me get through my final year of medicine, as doctors can be quite ruthless towards medical students sometimes.

I think it has prepared me more for life as a doctor, and having gone through it all, I can say to myself that I've gone through hardship and made it through with a 2:1 BSc and a publication in the end (which does wonders for applications later on btw!)

Of course you will have to think about your own well being as well. I had support (and pressure?) from family to keep going with my degree, so that really helped me out. Having that mindset of "withdrawing is not an option" helped me get through it all.
Reply 9
Original post by lostatsea94
Hello,

I was just wondering if you had made a decision to withdraw from your intercalated year, and how it went if so?

I have a meeting with my advisor of studies tomorrow to discuss me doing the same, as for a few reasons, I don't think I am able to complete the year.

I was wondering how this affects funding however? Is it possible to still receive the rest of my loan for the year even if I withdraw (and return to medicine next year)?

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you have being going through a similar situation. I'm still doing the bsc but can withdraw at anytime if I decide to do so. What complicates my situation further is that I was awarded a university of London scholarship fund 3 weeks ago and it came out of the blue just as I was about to withdraw.

So I am currently undecided as to what the future holds. I'm pretty sure that if you withdraw , the university will contact NHS to stop future payments.

Wish you the very best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending