The Student Room Group

Training contracts 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bicks
Anyone know how long Travers Smith usually take to get back post application?

Last year I applied in December and got a PFO the September of the next year... So if they're not going to offer you an interview you'll probably be waiting a while :tongue: good luck, hopefully they'll get back to you soon
Original post by erj2018
How have people interpreted this? (HSF) -
Don’t list out skills you have we'll figure that out from the examples!

The examples don't really seem complete, if you don't discuss the skills that you've developed from being law soc president, for example, or doing research work on a vacation scheme?

I guess you use action verbs to describe what you did rather than blandly saying I improved my various skills. *
Original post by erj2018
How have people interpreted this? (HSF) -
Don’t list out skills you have we'll figure that out from the examples!

The examples don't really seem complete, if you don't discuss the skills that you've developed from being law soc president, for example, or doing research work on a vacation scheme?

Literally say what you do as law soc president, or what type of research you conducted.

For me you should never explicitly state the skills in the form of 'this demonstrates I can work in a team' etc. Grad recruitment are intelligent, they can understand what skills you must have used to complete your examples. By stating the skills you're just wasting words.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 583
Original post by ChristinaST
Last year I applied in December and got a PFO the September of the next year... So if they're not going to offer you an interview you'll probably be waiting a while :tongue: good luck, hopefully they'll get back to you soon

Goodness that's horrible! I applied a few weeks ago and am already impatient haha. Thanks for the heads-up tho (:
Original post by J-SP
I wouldn't even go as far as listing some of what you do as a president of a society - even that is pretty obvious and standard most of the time.

Focus on what you have achieved within the role. Try to think about it as "if I hadn't been in this role, what wouldn't have happened" and focus on those details. It's far more unique and interesting anyway than saying the stuff that any president of any society at any university could also say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by J-SP
Keep it brief and explain your achievements within the experience, rather than the skills you developed.

99% of the time it's pretty obvious what skills someone has developed, but what isn't obvious is what your personal impact what (which is far more interesting).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Conzy210
Literally say what you do as law soc president, or what type of research you conducted.

For me you should never explicitly state the skills in the form of 'this demonstrates I can work in a team' etc. Grad recruitment are intelligent, they can understand what skills you must have used to complete your examples. By stating the skills you're just wasting words.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the response.

Conzy210, I think it really depends on the firm. Some firms want you to explicitly link everything back to their competencies, which can't really be done without reverting back to the skills approach.

I don't think it's about grad rec being intelligent or not. Some recruiters just want to see your experiences linked to the skills that they look for.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mrs_Fergie
Hi! I applied too and have yet to hear anything... A few folk received PFO's about 3 weeks ago I think. Reassuring to know I'm not the only one still waiting! 😊

Hi just wondered whether you both have heard from CMS yet? I am also still to hear. Not sure whether that's a good thing or not!
Original post by LukeIsIt
Hi just wondered whether you both have heard from CMS yet? I am also still to hear. Not sure whether that's a good thing or not!

Nope, nothing :frown:. Not sure that's a good sign!!
Hey! I'm hoping to get some opinions as to where I can apply with my current CV. Graduated from RG university, 2.1 overall (66% in my 3rd year, 61% in my 2nd, 55 in my 1st). I've completed a 2 internships at Wall Street Firms and 2 at the other American ones - though all of them are in Hong Kong. I was the President of a student society, Committee Member of another and have competed in a number of debating competitions.

Thanks!
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
Interview with Orrick. :biggrin:

Congrats! Can I ask when you applied?
Reply 589
has any one heard anything from bevan brittan - applied a while back and not heard anything back?
Original post by J-SP
The main question someone might have reviewing your application (based on this information alone) would be why are you applying to the UK when all your previous experience is in Hong Kong.

Some of the more "academic" firms might be concerned about your first and second year grades (really depends on what they are like individually), but your work experience is likely to balance that out.

Will obviously depend a lot of what you write in terms of career motivation too but nothing really stands out as overly concerning so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! Thanks for the reply! I had to do Hong Kong internships because the London ones rejected me (due to my 1st and 2nd grades).

As for "academic" firms, could you give some examples? I know Slaughter, Davis, Cleary and Sullivan are harsh on grades but that's the extent of my list.

Thanks!
Has anyone heard back from CC, Brabners or DWF following 30th June deadline?
Just applied for the GLS.

Bad idea? I have no real legal knowledge, going to start GDL in October.
NRF TC offer
Has anyone heard from cc post deadline?
Reply 595
Original post by tcapplier
Has anyone heard from cc post deadline?

I submitted my WG test for their Dubai TC over three weeks ago (after the June 15th deadline passed) and still haven't heard back telling me whether I've passed or not.
Original post by ba_23
I submitted my WG test for their Dubai TC over three weeks ago (after the June 15th deadline passed) and still haven't heard back telling me whether I've passed or not.

That's strange, I did my wg for the direct Tc and received an email telling me I'd passed the day after.
The assessment centres are meant to be next week for the direct Tc so beginning to worry a little.
Original post by tcapplier
That's strange, I did my wg for the direct Tc and received an email telling me I'd passed the day after.
The assessment centres are meant to be next week for the direct Tc so beginning to worry a little.

Is this just for the Dubai ones or all of them? I've not heard anything back after my application :s-smilie:
Hey all,

has anyone heard from Reed Smith for Direct TC following application and situational judgement test?
Slaughter and May TC offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending