The Student Room Group

How long do I stay in my degree apprenticeship before I can leave?

Hi all,

I started a degree apprenticeship this May (2018) and am not due to finish until 2021. I wanted to know whether there is a certain period of time that I have to stay for, or whether I can graduate and leave?

My company hasn't tied me in yet, so I don't know whether there is a government defined period of time that I am obliged to stay?
Original post by bacon_bits
Hi all,

I started a degree apprenticeship this May (2018) and am not due to finish until 2021. I wanted to know whether there is a certain period of time that I have to stay for, or whether I can graduate and leave?

My company hasn't tied me in yet, so I don't know whether there is a government defined period of time that I am obliged to stay?

It'll depend on the contract with your employer but if they haven't specified then you should be free to leave. Normally there is a clause keeping you either for a set time during your apprenticeship (or a probationary period of say, 6 months) or for a set time once you finish your apprenticeship (e.g.1 year in employment).

Do you intend to leave as soon as you finish? :smile:
You can leave whenever, if a company tries telling you that you'll need to pay back training costs just refuse, it's against the government funding rules for employers to do that. However, it is up to the company when/if you receive qualifications.
Reply 3
Original post by brainzistheword
It'll depend on the contract with your employer but if they haven't specified then you should be free to leave. Normally there is a clause keeping you either for a set time during your apprenticeship (or a probationary period of say, 6 months) or for a set time once you finish your apprenticeship (e.g.1 year in employment).

Do you intend to leave as soon as you finish? :smile:

I think I do! I've been here a couple of years already and haven't been pushed, it's only when I pushed for the course and threatened to leave that they put the funding through to send me. I haven't been tied into any contract and am expecting management to forget! Thank you for your reply :smile:
Original post by bacon_bits
I think I do! I've been here a couple of years already and haven't been pushed, it's only when I pushed for the course and threatened to leave that they put the funding through to send me. I haven't been tied into any contract and am expecting management to forget! Thank you for your reply :smile:

No problem. Basically anything in the contract you can be held by - if it's word of mouth then it's your word against theirs a lot of the time.

If you need anything else just let me know - and good luck!! :smile:
Original post by brainzistheword
No problem. Basically anything in the contract you can be held by - if it's word of mouth then it's your word against theirs a lot of the time.If you need anything else just let me know - and good luck!! :smile:
I wondered if you could help me also.I am doing a degree apprenticeship and am in my final year. I have got another job offer that will be more attractive than anything my current company will be able to offer me. I will submit all the work for my Degree in 1 month and then intending to leave the company after all my work is submitted. Will they be able to charge me or block my degree after I have submitted all the work? I have not signed anything that says I have to stay. It just says ‘The duration of this agreement will be 48 months. Therefore, your employment will end without further notice on the ../../…. unless it is terminated earlier in accordance with the written’Statement of Terms and Conditions of Employment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending