The Student Room Group

Training contracts 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by verier
I don't understand why english people are so stupid and they show that everytime they are involved in something, like the english people who run the london law firms.

How many big law firms are there in London? 100?
All of them have the same practice more or less. Some may have more banking, others more commercial, other more technology. But they practise in mostly the same areas.
All of them have received some kind of award. Best litigation team in 2013, best commercial firm in 2015, etc.
All of them have some offices abroad.
All of them say they have prestigious clients and important cases.
All of them say they have something unique, eg they are the most innovative, they are the most client-focus etc. But all of them would say they have all these features.
ALL of them are pretty much THE SAME.
Yet they want you to answer why them!

In 99% of the cases, the reply to why them is 'because I am a fkin law grad and I need to fkin train and I applied to a fkin whole lot of the large firms to train and tbh I dont care if it is White&Chase or Slaughter&May because THEY ARE ALL PRETTY MUCH THE FKIN SAME!!!!

If I was an automotive engineer, I would apply to Nissan, Volksvagen, Toyota, etc. Excluding exotic brands like Ferrari or Hummer, they are all the fkin same! You cannot ask that candidate why he applied to VW and not Toyota!!!! IT'S EXTREME HYPOCRISY and IDIOCY! You just want him to highlight your strengths, but they are not really any different than others strengths.

Unless you want to go into something really special like medical devices IP, it doesn't really matter yet these stupid people keep asking that question!

I think you should calm down and try and understand the process .. Anyone who has applied for numerous Training Contracts will tell you that every firm is different and has a unique culture that attracts a certain type of trainee who will be the right 'Fit'
Oh really? Give me an example
Just received a rejection from Linklaters and Clifford Chance post application.

Freshfields: post-app rejection
Macfarlanes: post-app rejection
Linklaters: post-app rejection
Clifford Chance: post-app rejection
Ashurst: post-interview rejection
Travers Smith: post-final round interview rejection
Hogan Lovells: post-telephone interview rejection
Baker & Mckenzie: post-video interview rejection
Sullivan & Cromwell: Put "on hold"
Shearman & Sterling: No response
BLP: No response
Weil: No response
White & Case: No response

I recently graduated with a first, top 10 in my year group. I have been trying to get a training contract for two years now. Is it possible that I am just not cut for it? I feel passionate about it. I feel I know it's what I want to do but I must be doing something seriously wrong...
(edited 7 years ago)
If someone has some free time, would they be willing to read my "What are you most proud of?" answer for the Herbert Smith app and provide some feedback? Would really appreciate it! Thanks.
Original post by Mowgli5

I recently graduated with a first, top 10 in my year group. I have been trying to get a training contract for two years now. Is it possible that I am just not cut for it? I feel passionate about it. I feel I know it's what I want to do but I must be doing something seriously wrong...

The post interview rejections are concerning. I would assume something is up with your career motivations and/or your justification for that particular firm. There may also be something up with your understanding of what city lawyers actually do.

Have you got feedback?

Ps, I'm also a recent graduate and know how you feel. I've realised that ability is half the story for a career in law. I'm personally not sure that I've got the endurance, stamina, or commitment for it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mowgli5
If someone has some free time, would they be willing to read my "What are you most proud of?" answer for the Herbert Smith app and provide some feedback? Would really appreciate it! Thanks.

Happy to do this.
Original post by verier
Oh really? Give me an example

If you really can't point out the subtle differences between firms then that's simply your problem and it's no one elses responsibility to provide you with examples because you've got pissy about it.

Aren't you also the same person who couldn't find any cases for the IM BLS stream? I'd suggest you need to spend a little more time researching. People on here are by all means willing to help, but they won't do it for you.
Original post by Hann95
If you really can't point out the subtle differences between firms then that's simply your problem and it's no one elses responsibility to provide you with examples because you've got pissy about it.

Aren't you also the same person who couldn't find any cases for the IM BLS stream? I'd suggest you need to spend a little more time researching. People on here are by all means willing to help, but they won't do it for you.

I also think its the same person who used to post on both threads under another name , people tried to help them but they would get very angry and annoyed - lets not get drawn in
Original post by erj2018
The post interview rejections are concerning. I would assume something is up with your career motivations and/or your justification for that particular firm. There may also be something up with your understanding of what city lawyers actually do.

Have you got feedback?

Ps, I'm also a recent graduate and know how you feel. I've realised that ability is half the story for a career in law. I'm personally not sure that I've got the endurance, stamina, or commitment for it.

Yeah, I have asked for feedback but it's been very very very generic. Travers Smith and Ashurst said that it wasn't that I was a poor candidate just that there were a few who were better than me, which wasn't very useful haha.

I feel like my understanding is pretty decent at this point cause I have done a vacation scheme and a couple of internships but I agree with you on the career motivations and justification bit. I will look into that.
Original post by mummoone
I also think its the same person who used to post on both threads under another name , people tried to help them but they would get very angry and annoyed - lets not get drawn in

Yeah, you're right. I completely understand getting annoyed at application questions, but if you respond to everyone trying to give you help with "give me examples" and "you find me a case" you're just simply not helping yourself. Oh well.
Original post by Mowgli5

Sorry to hear this. Rejections can be so disheartening especially when you invest so much time into it.

Was the Freshfields rejection for a TC or Vac Scheme?

Also, try and compare your Travers, Bakers and Hogan Lovells applications with others you have done and see if you can see why you made it further in that round.

Did you recieve feedback post interviews ? If not, you could kindly request it !
Original post by legalme
Sorry to hear this. Rejections can be so disheartening especially when you invest so much time into it.

Was the Freshfields rejection for a TC or Vac Scheme?

Also, try and compare your Travers, Bakers and Hogan Lovells applications with others you have done and see if you can see why you made it further in that round.

Did you recieve feedback post interviews ? If not, you could kindly request it !

Hey,

That's a good point. I am going through my applications right now and trying to see the differences.

The Freshfields, and all others, were for a TC.

Thanks! I just sent you a PM.
Original post by LawStudentLLM
When I did it a year ago it was a call with some outsourced recruitment agency. Expect a very boring, wooden interview. My interviewer was extremely aloof and very robotic. Standard questions like why law, why Hogan Lovells.

However, I am not sure how they can assess the why Hogan Lovells question as when I was asked at the end if I have any questions they were unable to give me any extra information about working at Hogan Lovells or the training contract (and made me feel insolent for even asking). Very strange interview.

Hope they've changed it since, or changed recruitment agencies, as it did not give a very good impression of the firm. But moral of the story is there is no need to feel intimidated, just prepare the standard questions and as long as you sound confident with what you're saying you should be ok.

Thanks that really useful! It is still with an outsourced company but fingers crossed it might be with a different one now...
Original post by Mowgli5

Hi Mowgli5, I was just wondering what sort of questions you got asked in your Hogan Lovells interview? Many thanks.
Original post by alove14
Hi Mowgli5, I was just wondering what sort of questions you got asked in your Hogan Lovells interview? Many thanks.

Hey,

It was standard motivation and competency stuff.

Why HL? Why law? Discuss a time you...? and that sort of stuff.

Hope that helps! :smile:
Original post by Mowgli5
Hey,

That's a good point. I am going through my applications right now and trying to see the differences.

The Freshfields, and all others, were for a TC.

Ah that's really annoying. Do you mind me asking when you submitted your app for Freshfields. I put one in but have not heard anything back yet
Reply 797
Original post by legalme
Ah that's really annoying. Do you mind me asking when you submitted your app for Freshfields. I put one in but have not heard anything back yet

They've said we won't hear anything till August..
Original post by legalme

Hey it was quite some time ago...I applied in December, heard back in January.

Another question...does anyone know if there is any realistic point applying to Latham & Watkins for a TC or is it advisable to apply for a vacation scheme in the next cycle? I am aware that they recruit the majority of their intake from their vacation scheme but can't find exact figures. Thanks!
Original post by J-SP
There's plenty of subtle differences out there as I mentioned, how the structure their firm, how they remunerate, how they structure their training contract, how they develop their trainees, the type of clients they target etc etc etc.

I'll be frank with you. If you can't differentiate on these fine details then law isn't for you. If you can't spot the differences and use them to your advantage, I can't see how you'd do this same process with a set of similar client documents successfully. And considering that is the day job, are you really going to 1) enjoy it and 2) be cut out for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They use 5 months rotations instead of 8? They take grad training very seriously (as if others dont?) (Even if you end up photocopying?) That they encourage grads to take responsibility? And expose them to clients? As if others don't? That some allow international secondment and others less?

What about renumeration? That they pay 44k instead of 39k?

You failed to give me A SINGLE ONE UNIQUE difference that makes a company unique and others don't do it at all.

I have read tons of info and found absolutely nothing no meaningful unique difference. They are all the same. It's like banks. They have different but pretty much the same rates and they will all say that they are different because they listen to the customer if others don't.

I know they struggle to compete each other but making idiot claims is ridiculous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending