The Student Room Group

Parents using my student finance!?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by iEthan
The money is for you for university. Does it say on Student Finance’s website: should be used to pay rent from mummy and daddy and also if they fancy a takeaway every so often”? No. It does not.

LMAOO

thanks for making it clear :smile:))) x
Original post by dontaskme1
LMAOO

thanks for making it clear :smile:))) x

You’re welcome! Now, sort it out!
Reply 62
Original post by Bealzibub
Jesus .. just speak up to them, show some resistance... and you don't need your parents for student finance. If they don't give income details you will get less maintenance loan but i'm sure you can call up student finance and talk to them about it

I think like 35% of maintenance loan is income based so if they don't provide income details you will still get the other 65%

yes i understand now, hopefully student finance can help me clear things up on this and there might be a possibility
Reply 63
Original post by tehforum
You say you have evidence dated 2015. I assume you mean the 2015 tax year. If that is what you do have then you use that for your 2nd year of uni without any hassle.

The 3rd year is the problem.

yes thats correct but then again i would need student finance for the third year
thats the concern
Reply 64
Original post by Maker
Are you Asian?

yes
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by Alba2013
You don't need your passport to open a second bank account with the same bank, you can even apply online. Sign up to online banking and do it from there, then once you get the new account transfer all your money, you don't even have to leave your bedroom.

yes i shud do that ur right
Reply 66
Original post by enaayrah
Stand up to them and tell them to **** off. When they want to take your money tell them its yours and they have no right to it.

Parents like this piss me off.

its not that easy tho
they put alot of pressure on me
im lucky they even let me go uni fml
Reply 67
yes pakistani female

No, you are British and you need to grow a pair. Law is not about what is written down but its about how hard you fight for it. You need to start now if you are to be any use to your clients.
Reply 68
Original post by Maker
No, you are British and you need to grow a pair. Law is not about what is written down but its about how hard you fight for it. You need to start now if you are to be any use to your clients.

Thankyouu x
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi im a law student and this is my first year at University. i am enjoying it and i feel that student finance has given me great help. i dnt really have a wealthy background and im the oldest child in a large family.

Any ways recently i have been given student finance and more than half of it my parents are using for their own purpose. They just take it out of the account as they please.

Is this allowed, im afraid they wont let me reason with them and they have a aggressive manner. im in need of new laptop and other essentials. I feel like i am being used, they've never supported me until they've heard of how much i can be entitled to.

Who can i speak to regarding this matter?? what can i do? please help

thankyou xx

my mom says the money contributes to rent, do i still have to pay for rent even tho the govermnet used to pay for the rent before, they never had any problem paying for rent as soon as they found out about student finance they wanted to take half of the money i was entitled to.

what about nxt year, i have to apply for student finance again, what if they dont let me i still ave copies of the old papers about my househild income dated to 2015 would that count ???

i hope that anyone else reading this post who is suffering from the same thing (hopefully not) i hope the support and strenght of others will give you faith and motivate you as it did for me. SOmetimes a little push is all you need i suppose xx

You're an idiot. That being said I have parents similar to yours. Create your eon bank account and move the money. Also remember that you need a household income sheet from your parents every year. So always try and be on their good side say a month before and until you receive the form. As they discovered how much money you attained the first time I'm sure they'll want some. Say that you get less or something. Also remember you need to be on your parents good side after university. I say this because you'll have to live at home while trying to get a graduate job. Again, once you get a graduate job, lie about how much you are earning and try and stay on their good side until you can move out. Finally, and this is the vital part, start prepping and researching stuff beforehand.
If you had prepared for this you wouldn't be in this predicament. You need to remember that you are very reliant on your parents even if you don't realise it. The fact that your over 18 means they can kick you out, so just try and humour them until you can stand on your own two feet.
its not that easy tho
they put alot of pressure on me
im lucky they even let me go uni fml

Well I'm also an Asian female, and well, I'm an adult, and I can do whatever I want.

My parents have accepted that now :smile:
Reply 71
Well I'm also an Asian female, and well, I'm an adult, and I can do whatever I want.

My parents have accepted that now :smile:

hopefully ill be in ur place in a few years
you gt to start from somewhere
(edited 8 years ago)
Because your parents don't receive benefits for you, their housing benefit may have been reduced. Therefore, you're expected to make up the shortfall.

However, this is no excuse for what they're doing.
inshallah ill be in ur place in a few years
you gt to start from somewhere

I'm younger than you :tongue:
Reply 74
Original post by Sesshomaru24U
You're an idiot. That being said I have parents similar to yours. Create your eon bank account and move the money. Also remember that you need a household income sheet from your parents every year. So always try and be on their good side say a month before and until you receive the form. As they discovered how much money you attained the first time I'm sure they'll want some. Say that you get less or something. Also remember you need to be on your parents good side after university. I say this because you'll have to live at home while trying to get a graduate job. Again, once you get a graduate job, lie about how much you are earning and try and stay on their good side until you can move out. Finally, and this is the vital part, start prepping and researching stuff beforehand.
If you had prepared for this you wouldn't be in this predicament. You need to remember that you are very reliant on your parents even if you don't realise it. The fact that your over 18 means they can kick you out, so just try and humour them until you can stand on your own two feet.

imight be a lil naive but im pretty sharp i tell ya loool
ive already ordered a provisional driving licecse which i will use to to make my own bank account from
and yeh ur right i suppose giving them a lil wont hurt but i will deffo cut bak
yepp and thanks for your help
Reply 75

Spoiler

bless u ini lol x
imight be a lil naive but im pretty sharp i tell ya loool
ive already ordered a provisional driving licecse which i will use to to make my own bank account from
and yeh ur right i suppose giving them a lil wont hurt but i will deffo cut bak
yepp and thanks for your help

I never understand how parents like this exist. Just unlucky I suppose.
Reply 77
Original post by Sesshomaru24U
I never understand how parents like this exist. Just unlucky I suppose.

sad isnt it :& maybe
They made a new account for me and i changed the pin.
idont think i can their backward people and their aggressive :frown:

Why are you still living with these cretins?
Reply 79
Original post by Profesh
Why are you still living with these cretins?

its just the way things are
i cant move out its difficut

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending