The Student Room Group

Feelings on death?

How do people feel about death? I feel like most people avoid this question, even when an answer to how they feel on it is given it's like they don't want to dwell on it for long. Surely it's important to? I love existing and being able to experience stuff - for example, catching the yearly flu. I'm just glad I'm alive. But what shocks me is most people state they accept death. But do you really? It's logical to assume it will happen to everyone eventually. But are people really satisfied with this?

What are you feeling on death? your thoughts? What you believe comes after?

Scroll to see replies

Death is an inevitability which can only be prolonged, maybe in the future possible halted. I also believe in the afterlife.
Reply 2
I feel like the desire to exist is so petty but i cant get rid of it completely. As of now i hate the thought of ever getting old and just existing and would rather just die young. I just came to the conclusion once that its just gonna happen and i wont have to care because i wont be able to:smile:.
I hope nothing exists after because then id have to care about existing again
Thinking about death is the most wasteful usage of our precious lifetime. How much of that conclusion is driven by the need for a sedative is hard to measure but it is a perfectly logical one on its own, there is absolutely nothing to be gained in thinking about death and it is more sensible to spend that time on thinking about what to do in this life.
Original post by Sesshomaru24U
(...) But what shocks me is most people state they accept death. But do you really? It's logical to assume it will happen to everyone eventually. But are people really satisfied with this?
(...)

Let me put that in this way: I hope not to die too yound and not too old, say an age under seventy, maybe under sixty. People like me regard (human) life as a punishment. Punishment because the mankind is an useless and redundant life form and I am a part of it. That is not fair!
(edited 8 years ago)
It's just a natural part of the cycle of life.

Nothing to be afraid about.
I welcome it
Reply 7
it scares me, and the thought of it haunts me every night... reminds me of how fragile life is and how you could be switched off at any point. I'm also scared of how i will die... will it be quick and painless or slow, long and painful? idk what's on the otherside, and i'm pretty sure if there's an afterlife i'm gonna end up in the pits of hell...

idk i don't like not knowing things, and if i think about it i'll go insane... i'll just keep thinking that there's no point in living if it ends in death anyway, how it's easier to be dead than alive, how people would react if i died... just not stuff i like to think about

so i like to think about life instead... while it lasts you know

we're kinda like chewing gum... after a while we lose our flavour and become dry, flavourless, unchewable clumps that get thrown 6 feet under dirt... so don't wanna be losing the flavour just yet!
You guys need to calm down.Long walks in the woods clears my head and lightens my mood. The fact that I'm usually dragging a dead body is irrelevant.
I agree that it's shocking how little the topic of death is discussed, it's rather taboo.

The thought of finality and nothingness is one that is difficult for many people to come to terms with, me included.

Just the thought of me not existing... No longer having consciousness... An eternity of nothingness... It's quite a scary thought to me.

It also puts into question the point of life at all, imo. But I have come to accept that life has no intrinsic "meaning" and we make our own meaning. I don't believe there's any particular reason to live, but just because there's no reason to live does not mean that there is a reason to die.
I'm not too bothered about death as it's likely an afterlife doesn't exist, in which case you won't even be able to experience oblivion or nothingness. And if an afterlife does exist, it won't be one proposed by religions such as Christianity and Islam.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I'm not too bothered about death as it's likely an afterlife doesn't exist, in which case you won't even be able to experience oblivion or nothingness. And if an afterlife does exist, it won't be one proposed by religions such as Christianity and Islam.

My point is you no longer get experience. That's got to suck. Do you have an idea as to what after life would be like?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
It's just a natural part of the cycle of life.

Nothing to be afraid about.

Right. No one would disagree with you.

If we are scaring of death all the time, we are too afraid of dying. And that means not being able to realize the nice sides of life anylonger.
(edited 8 years ago)
My point is you no ion get experience. That's got to suck. Do you have an idea as to what after life would be like?

Yeah but that won't matter after you die because chances are you literally will not be able to experience anything. Did all the billions of years of non-experience before you were born bother you?

But I see what you mean in a sense. I guess this motivates me to make the most of my life now and not take it for granted by looking forward to an afterlife.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Yeah but that won't matter after you die because chances are you literally will not be able to experience anything. Did all the billions of years of non-experience before you were born bother you?

But I see what you mean in a sense. I guess this motivates me to make the most of my life now and not take it for granted by looking forward to an afterlife.

It's different though. You didn't experience beforehand, but now you have an idea of what it's like to not experience due to experiencing. So you have an idea of what it will be like. It's just nothing. I accept it happens, but it seems rather sad to be allowed to experience then have it taken away from you.

Not only that, are prime isn't even long. We stop growing at 30 and it's just down hill from there. But even that could be cut short from the fact you develop illness which can cut your life short. Even be killed by other humans. Talking about this I realize I've got no problems with death. It's the fact we don't live for that long. Well not at our best anyway.
I'm terrified of it. I don't want to die yet.
It's different though. You didn't experience beforehand, but now you have an idea of what it's like to not experience due to experiencing. So you have an idea of what it will be like. It's just nothing. I accept it happens, but it seems rather sad to be allowed to experience then have it taken away from you.

Not only that, are prime isn't even long. We stop growing at 30 and it's just down hill from there. But even that could be cut short from the fact you develop illness which can cut your life short. Even be killed by other humans. Talking about this I realize I've got no problems with death. It's the fact we don't live for that long. Well not at our best anyway.

Well it's not necessarily a case of being allowed, it's a matter of reality. If there's no life after death then you won't experience again, regardless of how cruel or unfair it may seem.
I don't fear it, that's for sure.

Just feel bad for the legacy I may leave behind.
Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily. Every day when one's body and mind are at peace, one should meditate upon being ripped apart by arrows, rifles, spears and swords, being carried away by surging waves, being thrown into the midst of a great fire, being struck by lightning, being shaken to death by a great earthquake, falling from thousand-foot cliffs, dying of disease or committing seppuku at the death of one's master. And every day without fail one should consider himself as dead.
Reply 19
I believe that after I die, I won't exist. But I also believe that in a few years I won't exist either, as my body is getting slowly replaced by new atoms and molecules, such that I'll be a different person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending