The Student Room Group

my dad's always shouting at me!

it kind of a weird post but I really don't know what to do, I've spoke to my mum on a number of occasions about how my dad is always so rude to me, but she always just says he loves you really. as if that supposed to help somehow. he bought me a car recently as I've been forced into taking lesson (when I really didn't want to just yet) so he insisted that he took me out driving which I was ok with but then even if I make the tinniest mistake he tell me to get out of the car and walk home (its happened several time now and I haven't told my mum because I know it will cause an argument). But at times it really is horrible like there was an email sent home because I missed 2 weeks of school (I was on an 6 week internship that started 2 weeks before the summer holiday) and he thought I bunked school for 2 weeks!! he wouldn't even let me tell him what was actually happening! I don't know what to do anymore I'm not even 18 and I want to move out so bad (I know the capability of this happening is very low). I hate it, he has banned me from going to my room even if I have homework to do. he always has a nasty thing to say about what I wear, how I have my hair even what bloody music I listen to! is anyone else in a similar situation that could share some advice?!
He doesn't sound that bad...
Original post by quentinhamilton

Maybe its just me then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not me, but my friend.
It always confused me, I mean, why her Dad acts like that towards her, and only her, not her younger sisters.
Gah, there is nothing you can do. Unless you are doing something wrong that you might not be noticing...
You could try to meet his best side, but I don't know if that will work.
It is true what your Mum says that he loves you

Maybe confrontation is the only way forward?

Good luck with it all
Original post by Anonymous
it kind of a weird post but I really don't know what to do, I've spoke to my mum on a number of occasions about how my dad is always so rude to me, but she always just says he loves you really. as if that supposed to help somehow. he bought me a car recently as I've been forced into taking lesson (when I really didn't want to just yet) so he insisted that he took me out driving which I was ok with but then even if I make the tinniest mistake he tell me to get out of the car and walk home (its happened several time now and I haven't told my mum because I know it will cause an argument). But at times it really is horrible like there was an email sent home because I missed 2 weeks of school (I was on an 6 week internship that started 2 weeks before the summer holiday) and he thought I bunked school for 2 weeks!! he wouldn't even let me tell him what was actually happening! I don't know what to do anymore I'm not even 18 and I want to move out so bad (I know the capability of this happening is very low). I hate it, he has banned me from going to my room even if I have homework to do. he always has a nasty thing to say about what I wear, how I have my hair even what bloody music I listen to! is anyone else in a similar situation that could share some advice?!

think he's parenting rather than being rude imo
Reply 5
Can i have your car please?
Reply 6
Original post by thepheonixburns
Maybe its just me then

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anon fail
Reply 7
Original post by quentinhamilton

part of my reasoning behind the post I wanted to see if I was over reacting
Original post by saeed97
Anon fail

how?
Reply 9
Not me, but my friend.
It always confused me, I mean, why her Dad acts like that towards her, and only her, not her younger sisters.
Gah, there is nothing you can do. Unless you are doing something wrong that you might not be noticing...
You could try to meet his best side, but I don't know if that will work.
It is true what your Mum says that he loves you

Maybe confrontation is the only way forward?

Good luck with it all

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, my grades are good, my behaviours good, so I just don't understand

Sounds like there is a whole bunch of miscommunication going on, which is common. Your mum knows he loves you and so, calling that true, I guess the challenge is to see if we can create conversations that don't centre around what you do/wear/listen to, but rather something -anything!- else. If you think of your dad, not at your dad, but as another human being who you're sure will be a significant part of your future life, but you're not yet sure in what way... what would you ask him about? How possible would it be to say "Dad, I'd really like to get to know you as a person, would you be up for telling me a little about your life?" Done genuinely I'd hope this would be a yes, then you have an invitation to talk about things that aren't about you. This would be a start. Perhaps it's worth a shot? I'm not sure how taking an interest in him as a person would hurt things, but it's completely up to you and what you're happy with tying. Good luck with this.

Sorry to hear about this. He sounds like he is a terrible listener, and I can't believe people in this chat actually said he doesn't sound that bad. I wonder what is was like since then, my dad can be the same way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending