The Student Room Group

After we finish our A2's...

If we miss out on our Uni offer and don't fancy our insurance is there a possibility we can still complete an extra A level or AS level in the gap year at school or self study for the extra ucas points? (This is fine with the Uni regarding qualifications can be done within 3 years, however I'm not sure if A levels or As levels can be done in a year due to the changes?)

I really don't see the point going to a uni where you won't be happy for 3-4 years when you can just spend an extra year doing another A level or resit so am hoping this is still possible?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by alexp98
If we miss out on our Uni offer and don't fancy our insurance is there a possibility we can still complete an extra A level or AS level in the gap year at school or self study for the extra ucas points? (This is fine with the Uni, however I'm not sure if A levels or As levels can be done in a year?)

Keep in mind that A-Levels are changing after this year
Reply 2
Original post by vannson
Keep in mind that A-Levels are changing after this year

That's exactly what I'm unsure about? Would it still be possible to do an AS or fast track A level? Surely this would be unfair otherwise
Original post by alexp98
If we miss out on our Uni offer and don't fancy our insurance is there a possibility we can still complete an extra A level or AS level in the gap year at school or self study for the extra ucas points? (This is fine with the Uni regarding qualifications can be done within 3 years, however I'm not sure if A levels or As levels can be done in a year due to the changes?)

I really don't see the point going to a uni where you won't be happy for 3-4 years when you can just spend an extra year doing another A level or resit so am hoping this is still possible?

Why would you pick a uni you don't want to go to to be your insurance? If you miss your offer there is always clearing.
Reply 4
Original post by AmyPilot
Why would you pick a uni you don't want to go to to be your insurance? If you miss your offer there is always clearing.

I mean if you have your heart set on one Uni for a course and just miss out and can't get through clearing at that Uni :smile: ?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by alexp98
That's exactly what I'm unsure about? Would it still be possible to do an AS or fast track A level? Surely this would be unfair otherwise

I'm guessing you could do an A level in one year still.
I did it last year.
Reply 6
Original post by HAnwar
I'm guessing you could do an A level in one year still.
I did it last year.

WHich website did you use or did you do it at school? Also even with the changes still?
Original post by alexp98
I mean if you have your hear set on one Uni for a course and just miss out and can't get through clearing at that Uni :smile: ?

I just know that when I applied I would have been happy to go to either my firm or insurance choice - obviously preferred my firm of course but would have preferred no insurance and would have taken my chances through clearing for somewhere else rather than go somewhere I didn't want to go. I had limited options to begin with - only a small number of unis do my course and clearing would probably have meant a complete rethink or resitting the year (though not sure I could have gone through the whole application/interview process a second time lol)

At this stage in the game I wouldn't overthink it if I were you :smile:

Just aim to get the offers and then the necessary grades
Reply 8
Original post by AmyPilot
I just know that when I applied I would have been happy to go to either my firm or insurance choice - obviously preferred my firm of course but would have preferred no insurance and would have taken my chances through clearing for somewhere else rather than go somewhere I didn't want to go. I had limited options to begin with - only a small number of unis do my course and clearing would probably have meant a complete rethink or resitting the year (though not sure I could have gone through the whole application/interview process a second time lol)

At this stage in the game I wouldn't overthink it if I were you :smile:

Just aim to get the offers and then the necessary grades

Appreciate the help and this has made me feel a bit better but i just hope someone has the answer as to if we can still sit an A level or AS in the 2017 year and finish within a year? Of course I may still get the required grades but just want back up too :smile:
Original post by alexp98
Appreciate the help and this has made me feel a bit better but i just hope someone has the answer as to if we can still sit an A level or AS in the 2017 year and finish within a year? Of course I may still get the required grades but just want back up too :smile:

You're welcome

I appreciate how awful this year is - I still carry the scars from going through it and I have just started my second year at uni. I think I spent the whole year 13 going "what happens if .....?"

Sure it will all work out fine - good luck
Reply 10
Original post by alexp98
WHich website did you use or did you do it at school? Also even with the changes still?

I did it privately.
I did it before all the changes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending