The Student Room Group

Goldsmiths' Bahar Mustafa charged for sending '#killallwhitemen' tweet

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good, she deserves to be charged and found guilty.
I disagree that anyone could be sent to prison for saying stupid things on Twitter. Then again playing Devil's advocate if it was #killallblackmen or #killallmuslims there would be outrage so we shouldn't have a double standard.
Agreed Racism is racism is racism.
Original post by MrKmas508
I disagree that anyone could be sent to prison for saying stupid things on Twitter. Then again playing Devil's advocate if it was #killallblackmen or #killallmuslims there would be outrage so we shouldn't have a double standard.

The thing is with the second one, people were calling to "killallmuslims" and no one supporting that was charged, iirc, so if double standards exist, then there it is.
Perfect! People need to be held responsible for what they put on social media!

Adam Deacon from Kidulthood is facing charges against Noel Clarke for the same thing.
Racism is racism as De Monies says.

The only people that defend this will be white middle class third wave Tumblr feminists.
Nice to hear for a change that all abuse is treated equally by law enforcement, like it should be. However, I also do think that people shouldn't be sent to prison or dragged into court for writing crap on twitter.

Also, why is "student diversity officer" even a position, especially for someone not even a student or an employee of Goldsmiths.
People should not be charged for saying things on social media.
Original post by The_Internet
The thing is with the second one, people were calling to "killallmuslims" and no one supporting that was charged, iirc, so if double standards exist, then there it is.

If said on Twitter with those exact works by a pillar of an academic community I believe there would be a punishment. I do agree that people have said worse and gone unpunished though which is unfair.
L000L
how u gunna get fired for top keks?
she should of been fired in the first place, not sure about getting a criminal charge though
(edited 8 years ago)
I hope she gets found guilty.
While sure people of her ilk would be howling for the incarceration of anyone who said something like "kill all black women", I would never stoop to that level. Freedom of speech should be upheld, as it is a key tenet of a democratic society. Moreover, the woman is clearly a neurotic headcase and whatever she says matters about as much as a new Gareth Gates single.
Hate her but also hate people getting charged for rubbish they write on twitter. Definitely enjoying the fact this happened but as a fan of free speech don't think people should be charged for tweets (unless they are legitimately trying to incite violence which many of the stories you see they are not) and that includes her. She should however definitely be fired from her position after this just not prosecuted,
I don't give a **** what happens to her as long as law enforcement is consistent. We as a society need to decide whether it's okay to charge people for things they write on twitter. I'd actually lean towards free speech myself but if you're going to arrest people that suggested killing black men or white women or muslims then Mustafa was right to be arrested.
Original post by jamiep151
Hate her but also hate people getting charged for rubbish they write on twitter. Definitely enjoying the fact this happened but as a fan of free speech don't think people should be charged for tweets (unless they are legitimately trying to incite violence which many of the stories you see they are not) and that includes her. She should however definitely be fired from her position after this just not prosecuted,

Basically agree with this.

The NUS Scotland president is going nuts about it on facebook and making a complete tit of herself
Original post by Errm81
That is a false equivalence.

If a white British person had written #killallblackmen or #killallmuslims, then there would rightly be outrage because both of these groups are a tiny minority.

Calling for the annihilation of a group of people, who form the majority of the population, should not be equated with calling for the annihilation of a tiny minority. There are distinct differences and unfeasible from an operative point of view.

An equivalent of this would be if in say Zimbabwe, a white person wrote #killallblackmen. It's distasteful but not enough to be pulled up on a criminal charge.

There is no difference between calling for the annihilation of an majority or minority. Only one person needs to have these views and only one person can kill many black/white people if they wanted to therefore it is equally bad coming from the person who is saying it. I agree that she shouldn't be prosecuted.
Original post by Errm81
That is a false equivalence.

If a white British person had written #killallblackmen or #killallmuslims, then there would rightly be outrage because both of these groups are a tiny minority.

Calling for the annihilation of a group of people, who form the majority of the population, should not be equated with calling for the annihilation of a tiny minority. There are distinct differences and unfeasible from an operative point of view.

An equivalent of this would be if in say Zimbabwe, a white person wrote #killallblackmen. It's distasteful but not enough to be pulled up on a criminal charge.

Surely it's worse to call for the genocide of a majority because there is more of them?

About ****ing time. She's a pest.

"[...]and said she had received rape and death threats." That's her defence? She threatened to #killallwhitemen and she's worried about dath threats?!

[video="youtube;US1ipNlsGYY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US1ipNlsGYY[/video]

Watch this video :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending