The Student Room Group

Dropping out of Uni after 2 weeks - financial implications? Please help i'm stressing

Hi. I'm going to drop out of Uni as i hate all the aspects of my course, accommodation, flatmates and the city. I have thought long and hard and after an emotional discussion with my family i have decided to leave, and reapply somewhere closer to home next year, on a course more suited to me.

Anyway, i was wonder what are the financial implications of leaving at this early stage? I have sorted my accommodation fees, as the Uni states you are liable of 1 months rent if you are actually leaving the Uni, which is a relief.

But what about student finance? Will i owe 9k worth of fees if i leave after 2 weeks, or any amount of money at all? That would be extremely harsh surely :frown:

I have all my maintenance grant left so what would i do with that? Pay it back now or save it for next year?

I'm getting really upset about the whole situation so i'd be grateful for some help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
thanks, anyone else got any tips
I think if you leave before November you will be liable for 25%. Why not stick it out? It will only be 3 years. Halls is not always the best place, what about the people on your course? What course are you doing? I would really suggest you stick it out, student finance will give you funding for the length of your course plus on years in case you make a mistake, so even if you went for one day they will count it as a year, so you will have lost one year of funding, so why not stick it out and see what happens?
Original post by Jacknottheripper
I think if you leave before November you will be liable for 25%. Why not stick it out? It will only be 3 years. Halls is not always the best place, what about the people on your course? What course are you doing? I would really suggest you stick it out, student finance will give you funding for the length of your course plus on years in case you make a mistake, so even if you went for one day they will count it as a year, so you will have lost one year of funding, so why not stick it out and see what happens?

plus i think as a first yr student, you stay in halls for only a year
Original post by j1997j
Hi. I'm going to drop out of Uni as i hate all the aspects of my course, accommodation, flatmates and the city. I have thought long and hard and after an emotional discussion with my family i have decided to leave, and reapply somewhere closer to home next year, on a course more suited to me.

Anyway, i was wonder what are the financial implications of leaving at this early stage? I have sorted my accommodation fees, as the Uni states you are liable of 1 months rent if you are actually leaving the Uni, which is a relief.

But what about student finance? Will i owe 9k worth of fees if i leave after 2 weeks, or any amount of money at all? That would be extremely harsh surely :frown:

I have all my maintenance grant left so what would i do with that? Pay it back now or save it for next year?

I'm getting really upset about the whole situation so i'd be grateful for some help!

I'd been thinking of dropping out so spoke to the student services person today about the financial implications :smile:

Apparently if you drop out by 4th November you won't pay tuition fees, but will have to give back remaining maintenance grant/loan etc.

Arrange to speak to the studentsp services at up your uni to validate this though
Original post by howtobealady
plus i think as a first yr student, you stay in halls for only a year

I would move into privet accommodation, its cheaper and much quieter.
Original post by lachachacha
I'd been thinking of dropping out so spoke to the student services person today about the financial implications :smile:

Apparently if you drop out by 4th November you won't pay tuition fees, but will have to give back remaining maintenance grant/loan etc.

Arrange to speak to the student services at up your uni to validate this though

I would get that in writing, student services are not a very reliable source from my experience. That's why i always contact them by email. But I am still sure it will be 25% unless your university has a specific policy, which would be very good, as most university's do not like to give money back.
Generally if you're around for more than 2 weeks then you're liable to pay 25% of the years fees.

Some universities will waive this if you leave a little later (but aren't attending through to Christmas). Speak to your university fees office ASAP.

Likewise hang on to the maintenance grant and contact SFE as soon as you have the situation with your uni finalised. They may ask you to return some or all of it.
OP don't do something you're unhappy with doing.
Reply 9
Original post by lachachacha

Arrange to speak to the studentsp services at up your uni to validate this though

Does anyone know if this is still valid today?? I dropped out of uni 18/19 within the cooling of period and my uni told me that no tution would be paid and it wouldn't effect future funding. Now I have tried to continue with my studies and SFE have informed me that even though no tution was paid out that I am not eligible for funding during my first year as they class the term dates from 1st September even though the term dates at my uni didn't start until 21st Sep (could have been later dependent on my timetable but I can't remember) and I handed in my withdrawal forms 2nd of October. I am so confused because I was told by my uni it was fine but yet SFE are counting it as a year. There isn't even any tution fee for that course on my online account and they confirmed on the phone that it has been counted for a year just from being registered. I didn't study/learn anything/take any books out etc
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by K1902
Does anyone know if this is still valid today?? I dropped out of uni 18/19 within the cooling of period and my uni told me that no tution would be paid and it wouldn't effect future funding. Now I have tried to continue with my studies and SFE have informed me that even though no tution was paid out that I am not eligible for funding during my first year as they class the term dates from 1st September even though the term dates at my uni didn't start until 21st Sep (could have been later dependent on my timetable but I can't remember) and I handed in my withdrawal forms 2nd of October. I am so confused because I was told by my uni it was fine but yet SFE are counting it as a year. There isn't even any tution fee for that course on my online account and they confirmed on the phone that it has been counted for a year just from being registered. I didn't study/learn anything/take any books out etc

The rules for whether you’re liable to pay fees (not if you withdraw in the first 2 weeks normally) and whether SFE consider you as studying for the purposes of their previous study calculation (counted if anything was paid even if it was returned) are different.
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
The rules for whether you’re liable to pay fees (not if you withdraw in the first 2 weeks normally) and whether SFE consider you as studying for the purposes of their previous study calculation (counted if anything was paid even if it was returned) are different.

I am not liable to pay fees. I worked out from the university's term dates and my withdrawal that I withdrew within 10 days maximum not including days off as I can't remember my timetable, I'm not 100 percent if I even had one at that point. I did receive maintenance loan before I started which I stupidly used to pay off debt from my foundation year. That is being taken off this years maintenance loan if I get my tution fee sorted, which is fine as I work part time and live with my parnter. They confirmed no tution fee was paid, it isn't on my online account, my university confirmed when I was withdrawing that it was within their cooling off period and my future funding would not be affected. Yet SFE on the phone say that they count the term starting 1st September and you lose it regardless of whether a tution fee was paid which is super confusing to me. I am devastated, truly.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12
Man. What a throwback. I got quite emotional reading that back. I was in a dark place back then.

5 years later, I’ve graduated from the University of Birmingham and am in a brilliant grad job that I really enjoy!

As for what I paid, I believe on my SFE statement, I only paid for the first term.
Original post by j1997j
Man. What a throwback. I got quite emotional reading that back. I was in a dark place back then.

5 years later, I’ve graduated from the University of Birmingham and am in a brilliant grad job that I really enjoy!

As for what I paid, I believe on my SFE statement, I only paid for the first term.

What job do you now do, if you dont mind me asking? :smile:
Original post by j1997j

Ayyyyy! A success story 😊 this just makes me happy!
Reply 15
Original post by .Dezer.
What job do you now do, if you dont mind me asking? :smile:

No problem at all. I’m a graduate functional consultant for a x. Might not be exciting for some but I’m really enjoying it. I wish I could tell me of 5 years ago all about it!! :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Oceanwater
Ayyyyy! A success story 😊 this just makes me happy!

Thanks for your kind words!!!!
any update on this? I'm in a very similar situation. Hope you're well
Hey, did you get a second opinion on this and manage to get funding? I'm in a very similar position. Hope you are well and thriving.

Original post by K1902
I am not liable to pay fees. I worked out from the university's term dates and my withdrawal that I withdrew within 10 days maximum not including days off as I can't remember my timetable, I'm not 100 percent if I even had one at that point. I did receive maintenance loan before I started which I stupidly used to pay off debt from my foundation year. That is being taken off this years maintenance loan if I get my tution fee sorted, which is fine as I work part time and live with my parnter. They confirmed no tution fee was paid, it isn't on my online account, my university confirmed when I was withdrawing that it was within their cooling off period and my future funding would not be affected. Yet SFE on the phone say that they count the term starting 1st September and you lose it regardless of whether a tution fee was paid which is super confusing to me. I am devastated, truly.
Reply 19
No I didn't sadly, I am going to get it waived under compelling personal reasons and via a complaint as I was given misinformation by my university at the time as they told me it wouldn't affect my future funding, wish I got it in writing. I did email anonymously but sadly they didn't say it again, typical. Let me know how you get on too! I actually worked for SFE briefly too and I asked managers that worked there this question and they couldn't answer it, also nothing in the knowledge base regarding this particular circumstance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending