The Student Room Group

want to drop out of uni

i have just come to the end of my first year of my 3 year degree but have been completely unmotivated and not enjoyed the course at all. i started to give up with attending and putting effort into my work around february ish and am now completely struggling between dropping out and working back home and saving up for a bit or just sticking it out and staying at uni. if i do stay here i will have to most likely retake the modules i’ve failed this year or retake my first year completely. i like living here and being independent but i start to feel like there’s no point if i don’t enjoy my course, i don’t particularly need or want the degree i’m studying, i haven’t made many friends at all, i haven’t found a job and i am massively struggling financially. another issue is that me and a friend have our living situation sorted out for next year already so it will probably be hard for me to back out of this without facing some sort of financial backlash. i just feel like i don’t want to put myself through finishing a whole degree just for the sake of it and sacrificing my mental health, but at the same time if i went back home and lived with my parent and worked i would be equally as low. please leave some advice if anyone can help
Reply 1
Original post by sunshinekth
i have just come to the end of my first year of my 3 year degree but have been completely unmotivated and not enjoyed the course at all. i started to give up with attending and putting effort into my work around february ish and am now completely struggling between dropping out and working back home and saving up for a bit or just sticking it out and staying at uni. if i do stay here i will have to most likely retake the modules i’ve failed this year or retake my first year completely. i like living here and being independent but i start to feel like there’s no point if i don’t enjoy my course, i don’t particularly need or want the degree i’m studying, i haven’t made many friends at all, i haven’t found a job and i am massively struggling financially. another issue is that me and a friend have our living situation sorted out for next year already so it will probably be hard for me to back out of this without facing some sort of financial backlash. i just feel like i don’t want to put myself through finishing a whole degree just for the sake of it and sacrificing my mental health, but at the same time if i went back home and lived with my parent and worked i would be equally as low. please leave some advice if anyone can help

My son dropped out after one term as things weren't right and he wasn't really engaging. He then went to a different uni 2-3 years later and did a completely different degree and got a first. Talk to your department and academic team and get some advice as what is best to do and what credits you have accumulated to doing something later if you choose. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by alpink
My son dropped out after one term as things weren't right and he wasn't really engaging. He then went to a different uni 2-3 years later and did a completely different degree and got a first. Talk to your department and academic team and get some advice as what is best to do and what credits you have accumulated to doing something later if you choose. Good luck!

thank you ! i have just spoken to my friend who i’ll be living with next year and have decided to stay for the next year seeing as we have our living situation and finance sorted already (not just because of this but i think i’ll also be happier here than living at home) and i am meeting with my tutor next week to discuss the next step for my course whether i can retake it etc. i figured if i leave there’s a possibility i will get rid of the chance of things improving for me here (hopefully!!) and if i’m still struggling next year i can take the steps i need to leave or see what’s next for me. i’m glad your son did better and getting a first is great !! thanks for your input it’s really interesting to hear how people relate. just trying to figure out life and what happens, it’s hard !
Reply 3
Original post by sunshinekth
thank you ! i have just spoken to my friend who i’ll be living with next year and have decided to stay for the next year seeing as we have our living situation and finance sorted already (not just because of this but i think i’ll also be happier here than living at home) and i am meeting with my tutor next week to discuss the next step for my course whether i can retake it etc. i figured if i leave there’s a possibility i will get rid of the chance of things improving for me here (hopefully!!) and if i’m still struggling next year i can take the steps i need to leave or see what’s next for me. i’m glad your son did better and getting a first is great !! thanks for your input it’s really interesting to hear how people relate. just trying to figure out life and what happens, it’s hard !

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending