The Student Room Group

Maths degree with a grade E at AS

Hello everyone,

well, I really really want to do Mathematics as a degree but the problem is I got a grade E on my AS exam so everyone advising me to choose another subject such as Chemistry only because I got a C.

I really love and enjoy maths and I can understand it very quickly (except STATISTIC) but not sure what mistakes I have done on the exam to get this bad grade! I got a shocked when I saw the results even my teachers, they even predicted me a B/C.

Recently, I am working very hard on my as (I will retake the modules) and a2 so I can at least get a B

SO, the question is should I forget about maths and try to do other subject - Chemistry/ Physics?

help needed :frown:
thank u
I heard someone who had an E in geography at As and had offer from uni...what did you get overall in ur other As's ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by dont leave blank
I heard someone who had an E in geography at As and had offer from uni...what did you get overall in ur other As's ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Two very different subjects with maths being hierarchical
Personally I think you should retake and apply once you have your results. An E in the subject you want to apply for is pretty damning, so if you really want to do it, up that grade and apply after. You'll be in a stronger position if you have your results before applying, but you could just apply anyway, it depends on the universities you want to apply to.

Original post by Roz96
Really ? but what grade did he/she get at A2?Physics: DChemistry: CArabic: A

Is Arabic your first language?

You only really have a chance with Chemistry if you don't want to retake/apply after results. The D in Physics isn't great either, so stick with Maths if that is what you enjoy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by dont leave blank

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really ? but what grade did he/she get at A2?

Physics: D
Chemistry: C
Arabic: A
I suggest resitting the exams that you feel you could do better on but it does look pretty dodgy when you get the lowest pass grade possible in the subject you want to study at degree level. AS maths is nothing compared to a maths degree -- it's barely above GCSE standard, especially C1.

If you can't get at least a B at this with as much hard work as you say you put into it, then you'd be better off looking at a different career because a maths degree generally requires a fair bit of natural aptitude for the subject and most of the better maths departments require applicants to get certain grades on admissions tests like the MAT or STEP, which are notoriously difficult even for students with top grades in maths -- somebody who got an E grade in AS maths despite working hard and having no extenuating circumstances (I'm assuming here so correct me if I'm wrong) is unlikely to be able to deal with that sort of exam and their performance on a maths degree wouldn't be likely to be stellar either.

Having said that, here's a really inspiring story about a guy who failed AS physics and is now studying Theoretical Physics at Durham University: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2055250. It shows you that it can be done but, for those of us who aren't naturally talented, the work has to be harder. :smile:

I also think you should question why you 'really really want to do Mathematics as a degree.' I find that most people don't have very good reasons for studying their chosen degree subject and most of the ones who end up unhappy and resenting their course at university are those who signed up for the wrong reasons in the first place. Simply loving and enjoying maths won't cut it, I'm afraid.

Original post by Roz96
Hello everyone,

well, I really really want to do Mathematics as a degree but the problem is I got a grade E on my AS exam so everyone advising me to choose another subject such as Chemistry only because I got a C.

I really love and enjoy maths and I can understand it very quickly (except STATISTIC) but not sure what mistakes I have done on the exam to get this bad grade! I got a shocked when I saw the results even my teachers, they even predicted me a B/C.

Recently, I am working very hard on my as (I will retake the modules) and a2 so I can at least get a B

SO, the question is should I forget about maths and try to do other subject - Chemistry/ Physics?

help needed :frown:
thank u
I'm pretty sure you need an A/B in Maths to actually study it... Maths degrees are a big step up so if you're not coping now (which if you got an E you aren't) then you probably wont cope during a degree
Reply 7
Original post by Roz96
Really ? but what grade did he/she get at A2?

Physics: D
Chemistry: C
Arabic: A

Maths is a foundational subject, which means that higher skills build on previous knowledge. With an E at AS you're unlikely to achieve a high grade at A2, let alone succeed at degree level, unless there were very strong personal circumstances which caused the E.

May I ask whether you chose those A levels yourself, or did someone put pressure on you to take scientific subjects? I'm not trying to be rude, but EDC at AS level in Maths, Physics and Chemistry suggests to me that you've made a poor subject choice. You might want to talk to your teachers about your best options going forwards.

Quick Reply

Latest