The Student Room Group

Religious people!Would you send your children to a gay to straight conversion teraphy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by eoe
What if they are born with same sex attracrions. And as far as I am aware Christianity views sodomy is sinful and not SSA

I think with this, it's interesting to see Jesus' teaching at the Sermon of the Mount. For example, he mentioned the sin of adultery and applied it to lust as well. It seems that the sin of homosexuality could then be applied to same-sex lust. I think same-sex attraction is a product of sin but I'm not nailed on to as to whether that in itself would be sinning.

I definitely think way too many Christians go too far on this subject. Absolutely, if you believe the Bible is God's Word, it's a sin, despicable in God's eyes, but the extent to which people place this is just completely against the Bible's teaching. Portrays the image that if you're a gay person, Jesus won't accept you - completely at odds to all that is taught. Our sins were laid upon Him.
Original post by parrot16
Well you can. If there is a murderer going around killing people, we can't tell them to carry on doing what they want to because "They are who they are", we have to stop them or send to therapy.

Just a little thing to ponder on, the little problem just about everybody makes (bar me for a start) when they make a metaphor, is that the metaphor isn't applicable. Many (no, more accurate to say "all":wink: people are English-inept in this area.

Murderers have a degree of control over their actions, hence it's not a apart of whom they are, in this context.

1. A penis is supposed to go into a vagina not an anus.
2. Homosexuals cannot reproduce naturally.
3. Homosexuals have the most HIV and are at most risk for catching
4. Even though animals may practice homosexuality, that doesn't make it right for humans!

1. Let's just clarify that, yes, the vagina has adapted to accommodate the penis, and vice versa, but they're not supposed to go anywhere, as if there's been intent and purpose; there's no intentionality in evolution.

I think this sums it up nicely:
We survived, because we reproduced,
not we reproduced, to survive.

See where the emphasis lies?

Also, on a side note, make the distinction between sexual behaviour and sexual attractions/sexual orientation.
Anal sex isn't exclusive to the gay community, so it merely becomes a matter of demographics;
there's a higher demographic of anal sex in the gay community, than the straight community, so to speak.

A portion of homosexuals don't even like anal sex, and go completely without.
I'm sure I've seen it said twice (though that's no amazingly accurate method of determining something) that 8% of heterosexuals regularly have anal sex.

2. Of course homosexuals can reproduce naturally! Even a male homosexual can impregnate a female homosexual! :gasp:
And yet again, why does one appeal to nature? It's a really fallacious thing to do.

(P.S. To clarify, to be natural means to occur without human interference; to occur within nature.)

3. Yes, HIV is most prevalent in the gay community, but that's an issue of culture, and sexual behaviour. It's probably due to the stigma surrounding homosexuality, and that initially many just had casual sex with no long-term relationships; that was the norm. They had to go underground, so to speak. Don't quote me on this, but it's a very plausible reason. Also the the higher proportional prevalence of anal sex will of course have an effect, because of the higher transmittance through such an act, but don't conflate that with homosexuality; nothing is inherently wrong with it, and this can be solved by contraception, safe sex and common sense.

4. No, it just makes it natural. People should determine what's right and wrong by how it affects the parties involved.

Its not for the sake of religion but for the sake of maintaining for what is right in society. Children need a mother and a father, not two parents of the same sex(I know off topic but...). Oh and by the way anal sex is disgusting-just think about it?
On the other hand, what transgender people are doing is wrong too- just because someone identifies themselves as a different gender than they are born with, doesn't mean that they can change their gender and why should the NHS pay?

Please, before you post, actually quote some studies/statistics providing evidence as to why two parents of the same sex are bad.

The NHS should perhaps pay because the quality of life (the extent to and exact consistency of which I don't know) has the tendency to drastically improve. It's cruel to deny that.

Sex is more complicated than XY and XX; it's more of a group of alleles we give XXXXXX and YYYYYY, and these don't always align e.g. XXXYXX or YYXYYY.

Now gender is a set of behaviours and the identity correlated and/or built around a certain sex. There are biological bases to gender, but it is also a largely societal construct.

Gender not correlating to sex causes a myriad and plethora of problems for these people.

P.S. There's also a biological basis to transgender(ism?)
Original post by PharaohFromSpace
But you ignored my question.

Trust me when I tell you I am more than willing to be convinced that homosexuality is ok, just give me proof.

Don't shift the burden of proof (if it can be applied in this context. Anyone care to say if I have a misunderstanding of the term?)

So no, convince us that homosexuality is wrong.

In what is right and wrong, a lot of it is to what is wrong as opposed to what is right.
It's far easier to justify what is wrong as opposed to what is right, because that's not how morals should (I believe) be determined.
Reply 83
Original post by hogree
I think with this, it's interesting to see Jesus' teaching at the Sermon of the Mount. For example, he mentioned the sin of adultery and applied it to lust as well. It seems that the sin of homosexuality could then be applied to same-sex lust. I think same-sex attraction is a product of sin but I'm not nailed on to as to whether that in itself would be sinning.

I definitely think way too many Christians go too far on this subject. Absolutely, if you believe the Bible is God's Word, it's a sin, despicable in God's eyes, but the extent to which people place this is just completely against the Bible's teaching. Portrays the image that if you're a gay person, Jesus won't accept you - completely at odds to all that is taught. Our sins were laid upon Him.

Well then being straight before being married is sinful as well.
I admit its a weak comparison but both are objectively wrong.

There is nothing "objective" about your arguments.

1. A penis is supposed to go into a vagina not an anus.

Who says? Food is supposed to go into the mouth, not a penis. Are those who engage in oral sex "wrong"? Your eyes are not designed to stare at a computer screen for numerous hours, nor are your fingers designed to type for hours, so are computers "wrong"?

2. Homosexuals cannot reproduce naturally.

Your point? Many heterosexuals cannot reproduce naturally. It's also perhaps a good thing that there is a small segment of the population that cannot naturally reproduce, given the growing problem with overpopulation.

3. Homosexuals have the most HIV and are at most risk for catching

That is not inherent to homosexuality but inherent to unsafe sexual practices. Also, heterosexual HIV is the most common in many parts of the world.

4. Even though animals may practice homosexuality, that doesn't make it right for humans!

Why not?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 85
To the people speaking of gay genes and being born gay, could you have some undeniable proof? I have been looking for this for a while now. If not, can we all stop that notion and actually advance discussions forward? No 'gay gene' has been found, GET OVER IT!

Don't atrack me please, I am bisexual myself, leave your emotions at the door.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by ilovethe1975
AMEN. It has been scientifically proven that being gay is a gene. What are you going to do? Go mutate that gene just because you disagree? You literally can't do anything about it so why don't you just accept it. My parents are completely against the idea of homosexuality due to religion but I also grew up being taught that everyone is different and that we need to accept that and get on with our lives. Homosexuality is not disgusting and never will be.

Original post by eoe
Regardless of how much you disagree with homosexuality,I will say it and keep saying it: people are born gay.

Forgot to quote you guys in my post above :pierre: :getmecoat:
Reply 87
Original post by ipoop
To the people speaking of gay genes and being born gay, could you have some undeniable proof? I have been looking for this for a while now. If not, can we all stop that notion and actually advance discussions forward? No 'gay gene' has been found, GET OVER IT!

I never claimed there is a gay gene.
Some scientist argue that sexuality is something neurological.
Reply 88
Original post by eoe
I never claimed there is a gay gene.
Some scientist argue that sexuality is something neurological.

You said above, people are born gay. Many of these studies always point at societal and evironmental factors, with genetics playing a role but not the major role in determining one's sexual and romantic preferences.
No.. if (heaven forbid) my kids turned gay (I have 2); I'd just ask them to not involve me or talk to me about it or bring their partners to my house or in my presence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
To be honest, if I had a cool relationship with my kid and they himself/herself wanted to go 'therapy', I'd surely let them go. I'm not religious myself, but if he/she was and felt the need to try to "convert", I wouldn't have a problem with that, as long as it's not a sect-like organisation. If they weren't religious but were super curious to find out what happens in those groups I think it would be a hilarious experience and I'd support them.
Reply 91
Original post by Treypound
No.. if (heaven forbid) my kids turned gay (I have 2); I'd just ask them to not involve me or talk to me about it or bring their partners to my house or in my presence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's horrible. Your sexuality isn't a choice. Whether it's caused by genetics or the environment or a combination of the two, you still don't choose it. It is unbelievably awful to have a parent not recognise an important part of your life, and indirectly belittle you for it. You obviously have no idea how much it hurts.

The negative effect of not acknowledging your child's sexuality is profound. It can lead to low self esteem and depression. It may even cause your child to commit suicide. It will almost certainly drive a wedge between you, possibly causing you to become estranged from your child.

Do you want that? Could you honestly live with yourself if your actions caused you to loose your child?

If your answer is yes then you don't deserve to be a parent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3
That's horrible. Your sexuality isn't a choice. Whether it's caused by genetics or the environment or a combination of the two, you still don't choose it. It is unbelievably awful to have a parent not recognise an important part of your life, and indirectly belittle you for it. You obviously have no idea how much it hurts.

The negative effect of not acknowledging your child's sexuality is profound. It can lead to low self esteem and depression. It may even cause your child to commit suicide. It will almost certainly drive a wedge between you, possibly causing you to become estranged from your child.

Do you want that? Could you honestly live with yourself if your actions caused you to loose your child?

If your answer is yes then you don't deserve to be a parent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol not every homosexual will commit suicide because their parents dont agree, safe to say most won't. You watch too much tv, I support freedom for people to believe and live how they see fit including those who believe being gay is not to be admired. Gays can't promote freedom then turn round and say people can't freely disagree with them. If being gay is human nature fair enough but so is having opinions.

Hypocrite

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
no wtf

would i send my children to therapy for liking yellow and not blue?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ipoop

Original post by ipoop
Forgot to quote you guys in my post above :pierre: :getmecoat:

When people say the "gay" gene, it is over-simplifying the matters, and it is usually in reference to whether there are genetic, or biological factors to homosexuality, proving it's naturalness. (There are other ways to prove it's naturalness, anyway.)

There are two genes (alleles of which, presumably) which are shown to be a factor in male homosexuality.
And there's apparently epigenetic, or factors of gene expression, during the time in the mother's womb. Gene expression is the extent to which a gene is "on" or "off", influenced by environmental factors.

As sexual orientation is like a spectrum, I'd expect it to be a multiplicity of factors, many factors in tandem. So it is unlikely that a gay gene will ever be found, because there'll be no causal effect. tl;dr correlation =/= causation, so no gay gene will be found, as it isn't one factor we will be dealing with.
(though those aren't genetic.)
Reply 95
Lol not every homosexual will commit suicide because their parents dont agree, safe to say most won't. You watch too much tv, I support freedom for people to believe and live how they see fit including those who believe being gay is not to be admired. Gays can't promote freedom then turn round and say people can't freely disagree with them. If being gay is human nature fair enough but so is having opinions.

Hypocrite

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't say every LGBT person who is not accepted by their parents will commit suicide. I said some will. And some is too many. Nobody should end up committing suicide because they were unlucky enough to be born to bigoted parents.

I hardly ever watch TV.

Being gay isn't a choice. Disagreeing with people being gay is like disagreeing with people who have green eyes. Completely bonkers.

Being homophobic isn't like me saying that I disagree with animal testing (which I do), it's like me saying people who have green eyes are inferior and they should change their eye colour. You can see how this is impossible and unfair.

How am I a Hypocrite for calling out prejudice? I would say preventing prejudice is a part of promoting freedom.

LGBT people cannot live freely until prejudice and hate crimes against them are a thing of the past.

In the past 50 years, we have come a long way. We still have far to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3
I didn't say every LGBT person who is not accepted by their parents will commit suicide. I said some will. And some is too many. Nobody should end up committing suicide because they were unlucky enough to be born to bigoted parents.

I hardly ever watch TV.

Being gay isn't a choice. Disagreeing with people being gay is like disagreeing with people who have green eyes. Completely bonkers.

Being homophobic isn't like me saying that I disagree with animal testing (which I do), it's like me saying people who have green eyes are inferior and they should change their eye colour. You can see how this is impossible and unfair.

How am I a Hypocrite for calling out prejudice? I would say preventing prejudice is a part of promoting freedom.

LGBT people cannot live freely until prejudice and hate crimes against them are a thing of the past.

In the past 50 years, we have come a long way. We still have far to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nail, meet head.

Hypocrite

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where did she say you shouldn't be allowed to treat your child like ****? She just criticised you for it.
I personally don't care what they do. Someone being gay doesn't directly bother me as a heterosexual person. I feel it's pointless to counsel someone out of sexuality.

But while others berate religion, the Messiah's purpose only strengthens more. Keep it up folks.

Clinks teacups with Jesus.
Original post by DiddyDec
People don't choose to be gay.

mate please they do it to gain sympathy and push the "gay agenda", they choose it because sometimes being put into a situation where negative responses to your sexuality make you seriously consider suicide is a barrel of laughs.

Also seems you forget the tick box exercise? Happens around 11-13. Basically you're asked to fill out a sexual attraction/orientation form and whatever you choose is what you'll develop as you go through puberty, I believe an angel is involved in this process, Abrahamic faith folks help me here, but it's a low level angel on clerical duties. The issue is, as with a lot of paperwork, it's needlessly complex and some definitions are pretty vague. so especially for a 11-13 yr old, you get some ticking the wrong box. Now you'd think quite a few boys at 11 might go, girls are icky, and tick the "I want to like boys" box, but actually because "I want to like girls" is first, most just tick the top one tbh, I did I won't lie. My issue was that instead of leaving it at that and handing it back, I flipped through to page 5 of the "paraphilia" section and saw "Maiesiophilia" and thought...well damn how do you even pronounce that...that'll make me seem cool and complex, TICK.

So in summary, and some religious folks (or...what ever other reason could compel you to be against homosexuality) will back me on this, your sexuality is your choice as demonstrated above, it's the gays choice, my kink was mine, all documented.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest