The Student Room Group

Is it bad to be predicted 4A*'s at A2?

My teachers have predicted me this, but I've heard that unis often will give you an offer requiring higher grades than they state on their wesbite, as they don't want to be the insurance offer but the main.

Does this mean that my insurance choice of AAB could make the grades that I need higher in order to get in?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by simbasdragon
My teachers have predicted me this, but I've heard that unis often will give you an offer requiring higher grades than they state on their wesbite, as they don't want to be the insurance offer but the main.

Does this mean that my insurance choice of AAB could make the grades that I need higher in order to get in?

Thanks.

I was predicted A*A*A*A*A (though one of the A*s was Welsh Bacc which I dropped lol) and I got the standard offers from all my universities. They could make the grades higher but they probably won't.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I was predicted A*A*A*A*A (though one of the A*s was Welsh Bacc which I dropped lol) and I got the standard offers from all my universities. They could make the grades higher but they probably won't.

That's reassuring thanks, which ones did you apply to?
Reply 3
That's reassuring thanks, which ones did you apply to?

lol I realise I just lied accidentally as Cambridge didn't give me an offer but the ones that did were Warwick, Bristol, Exeter and Bath.

Thanks.

Your predicted grades should be realistic - as long as you think they're sensible, you will be fine. I know that Imperial is quite fond of deviating from the standard offer for people but how exactly they decide on their offer grades is a mystery. Most places will just give you the standard offer though, I don't think it's very likely that a university with a standard offer of AAB would artificially raise it for you with a 4A* prediction, I applied to 3 AAB/ABB universities with that prediction and none of them inflated their offer.
lol I realise I just lied accidentally as Cambridge didn't give me an offer but the ones that did were Warwick, Bristol, Exeter and Bath.

I'm also applying for Bristol. How long did it take for then to give you an offer after sending off your UCAS? I want to know how long I'll realistically be waiting to hear from them to find out.
Original post by Plagioclase
Your predicted grades should be realistic - as long as you think they're sensible, you will be fine. I know that Imperial is quite fond of deviating from the standard offer for people but how exactly they decide on their offer grades is a mystery. Most places will just give you the standard offer though, I don't think it's very likely that a university with a standard offer of AAB would artificially raise it for you with a 4A* prediction, I applied to 3 AAB/ABB universities with that prediction and none of them inflated their offer.

I think they're realistic, I should get at least A*AA hopefully which is my highest grade required. Do you know if Nottingham and Birmingham tend to inflate their offer?
I think they're realistic, I should get at least A*AA hopefully which is my highest grade required. Do you know if Nottingham and Birmingham tend to inflate their offer?

I don't know, sorry. I don't think grade inflation is normal though, the only place I know of that seems to do it a lot is Imperial.
Reply 8
I'm also applying for Bristol. How long did it take for then to give you an offer after sending off your UCAS? I want to know how long I'll realistically be waiting to hear from them to find out.

I applied probably in early October, probably around this time last year, and got an offer on 22nd October I think. It depends on the course though.
I think most students would kill for those predicted grades haha :wink:
sorry to post a question in your thread but if your predicted A*AA and the requirements are AAA would they up it to A*AA?
I applied probably in early October, probably around this time last year, and got an offer on 22nd October I think. It depends on the course though.

Which course was that?
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
I think most students would kill for those predicted grades haha :wink:

Haha I'm really pleased thanks, it's a lot of pressure though!
Haha I'm really pleased thanks, it's a lot of pressure though!

If you do arts subjects, that's super impressive
Reply 14
Which course was that?

Maths. I had a friend who applied for Engineering and hadn't got an offer by like January.
hey guys, I'm having problems choosing universities for medicine, I have 5A*AC at gcse, 2A3B at As (B in bio and them, A in math) and 650 UKCAT with stj 4.. Predicted 2A* and 2A, Good work experience and personal statement. Im thinking of applying to keele sheffield, queen Mary and last one is between plymouth exeter and UEA , is that a good idea? what universities should i apply to between the 3? thanks you
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
If you do arts subjects, that's super impressive

I do as it so happen, thanks :smile: I was always under the impression that it's much harder to gain A*'s in maths and science subjects.
Maths. I had a friend who applied for Engineering and hadn't got an offer by like January.

Aah so it can massively vary. Congrats on all your offers btw :smile:
I do as it so happen, thanks :smile: I was always under the impression that it's much harder to gain A*'s in maths and science subjects.

Obv depends on the person but the general consensus is that it's less difficult in science and maths subjects due there being only one right answer
Reply 19

As someone who's experienced humanities, maths and a science all at either AS or A2 I'd say that it's easier to get A*s in maths and science. Preparation can only take you so far in humanities and examiner subjectivity is key. I mean in the mark schemes there is often no distinction between certain marks shown, even when such distinctions can mean the difference between A and A*.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending