The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

TMUA for LSE

So, I'm studying maths, further maths, history and psychology at A-levels. My predicted grades are 4A*s. I am wanting to study Financial Mathematics & Statistics at LSE but only just saw that they preferred TMUA tests to be taken, but it's not compulsory.

I've got 7 days left to apply and have less than a month to prepare.

Should I take it or will my grades be enough for them to offer me a place?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by yanlan
So, I'm studying maths, further maths, history and psychology at A-levels. My predicted grades are 4A*s. I am wanting to study Financial Mathematics & Statistics at LSE but only just saw that they preferred TMUA tests to be taken, but it's not compulsory.

You can do a bit of work for it this month and if the test goes well then you can send it to lse but if you dont do well you don't have to show it to them. Im applying for actuarial science so thats what I am doing
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Darragh7
You can do a bit of work for it this month and if the test goes well then you can send it to lse but if you dont do well you don't have to show it to them. Im applying for actuarial science so thats what I am doing

But if I don’t do it, do you think they’ll likely to accept me because of my high maxed out predicted grades?
Reply 3
Original post by yanlan
But if I don’t do it, do you think they’ll likely to accept me because of my high maxed out predicted grades?

It’s too hard to tell, as LSE is known for rejecting people even with 4A* if their PS isn’t tailored to their course
Reply 4
Original post by yanlan

I'm afraid we cannot comment on your chances of admission prior to reviewing a complete UCAS application. As detailed, the TMUA is not compulsory but a good score may make you more competitive.

Please remember that even if you are predicted or if you achieve the grades that meet our usual standard offer, this does not guarantee you an offer of admission. All applications are considered holistically taking into consideration your contextual circumstances, UCAS reference and Personal Statement.
Reply 5
Original post by LSE
I'm afraid we cannot comment on your chances of admission prior to reviewing a complete UCAS application. As detailed, the TMUA is not compulsory but a good score may make you more competitive.

Please remember that even if you are predicted or if you achieve the grades that meet our usual standard offer, this does not guarantee you an offer of admission. All applications are considered holistically taking into consideration your contextual circumstances, UCAS reference and Personal Statement.

I heard some people say that doing the TMUA test will lead to a reduced offer for people whose predicted grades do not meet the entry requirements, but some say that it just ensures that you secure a place (with grades that meet the entry requirements). Which one of these is the TMUA for?

Also, if I do bad on it, does it mean you're more likely to not offer me a place, than a person who didn't do it?
Reply 6
Original post by yanlan
I heard some people say that doing the TMUA test will lead to a reduced offer for people whose predicted grades do not meet the entry requirements, but some say that it just ensures that you secure a place (with grades that meet the entry requirements). Which one of these is the TMUA for?

Also, if I do bad on it, does it mean you're more likely to not offer me a place, than a person who didn't do it?

The TMUA will not result in a reduced offer, nor is it a substitute for meeting our usual standard offer grades. As detailed on the relevant Department of Mathematics programme pages, a good performance on the test may help in securing an offer. Due to the intense level of competition for places at LSE, we will use the TMUA to differentiate between high achieving candidates. An applicant with a good TMUA score may therefore have an advantage over an applicant who has not taken the test, or has a lower TMUA score.
Reply 7
Original post by LSE
The TMUA will not result in a reduced offer, nor is it a substitute for meeting our usual standard offer grades. As detailed on the relevant Department of Mathematics programme pages, a good performance on the test may help in securing an offer. Due to the intense level of competition for places at LSE, we will use the TMUA to differentiate between high achieving candidates. An applicant with a good TMUA score may therefore have an advantage over an applicant who has not taken the test, or has a lower TMUA score.

I am applying for Data Science, which does not specify anything about the TMUA, but will taking the TMUA increase my chances for an offer?
Reply 8
Original post by anke0
I am applying for Data Science, which does not specify anything about the TMUA, but will taking the TMUA increase my chances for an offer?

The TMUA is only recommended for programmes offered by the Department of Mathematics.
Hi, I scored a 6.5 in the TMUA. If I submit this score to LSE alongside my application will it strengthen it or hinder it? Thanks 😁
Original post by amz solanki
Hi, I scored a 6.5 in the TMUA. If I submit this score to LSE alongside my application will it strengthen it or hinder it? Thanks 😁

Couldnt tell you tbh, i didnt do the tmua in the end. Did have to pay £55 for not unregistering too late.
Will the STEP exam incorporated by Cambridge, UCL and more help in securing an offer like the TMUA
Reply 13
Original post by James10199
Will the STEP exam incorporated by Cambridge, UCL and more help in securing an offer like the TMUA

LSE won’t look at STEP. Only TMUA unfortunately.
Original post by yanlan

Maths, Further Maths, History and Psychology is a very good combination of subjects for your A-Levels for LSE. But achieving 4A* grades is no certainty of an offer. Because it is your UCAS Personal Statement that is heavily weighted in the admissions process for LSE.

So as long as you have a 'stellar' UCAS Personal Statement then you should impress the admissions tutors and gain an offer. However, there are approximately 11 applications per place for your course at LSE, so it is highly competitive.

If you do the TMUA tests, then you will have an increased chance of an offer for sure. :biggrin:
I have taken the TMUA and LSE know this but I don’t want to submit it. I believe it will hinder my application. They have just sent an email saying they ‘would be very grateful’ if I did. Do I have to submit it or can I not submit it and be judged as if I didn’t take it?
Reply 16
Original post by Anonymous
I have taken the TMUA and LSE know this but I don’t want to submit it. I believe it will hinder my application. They have just sent an email saying they ‘would be very grateful’ if I did. Do I have to submit it or can I not submit it and be judged as if I didn’t take it?

I am this thread starter and I got an offer from LSE without submitting my TMUA (I did do it in the end but wasn’t happy with my result), so I think as long as your personal statement is top notch and your grades are good, then you should be good!
Original post by yanlan
I am this thread starter and I got an offer from LSE without submitting my TMUA (I did do it in the end but wasn’t happy with my result), so I think as long as your personal statement is top notch and your grades are good, then you should be good!

Thank you so much
Original post by LSE

Hi, The TMUA and the Oxford's Economics and Management exam TSA is on the same day. I want to apply to lse and Oxford but I would not be able to take the exam on the same day. Would me doing the TSA over the TMUA affect my chances on getting into lse.
Original post by Anonymous

hello,

i was reading your post from last year and wanted to know if you got an offer and wether you told LSE about your TMUA scores

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending