The Student Room Group

Should I fight to do A-levels or stick to BTEC?

My sixth form has just switched me from A-levels to BTEC and honestly I've never felt more depressed. They think that I'm struggling in business because of the feedback they got from my business teacher (who is the WORST teacher in the world btw). The truth is that I understand most of it but she doesn't think so because I never volunteer or expand my answers. I am an introvert so I obviously don't speak much in class. But she, and the head of sixth form, both believe I'm not capable of passing my exams. I want to be an accountant but I still want to do A-levels. What should I do?
Reply 1
Fight for it its your life and just because she thinks ur not doing great at business dosent mean your other a levels have to take a hit.....fight for it
fight for it - who is that teacher to tell you can or cannot achieve something? tell them that you need it because you want to be an accountant, business studies isn't even that difficult of an a level, if it was something like physics i would understand.
Reply 3
In all honesty. A Btec will get you to where you want to be. My friend got onto the KPMG school leaver programme with a Btec. I'm assuming it's the extended Btec? In which case, you'll be fine. But if you really want to do A levels, then by all means fight for it.
Original post by Synonym
Fight for it its your life and just because she thinks ur not doing great at business dosent mean your other a levels have to take a hit.....fight for it

I have already brought my parents in to ask them if I can still do A-levels but they're still saying no. The thing is with these people it's very very hard to change their minds. Once they've made a decision it's final and there's no going back. Although, I still have a little fight left in me. Maybe you could give me tips on what to say or do that will hopefully make them have a change of heart?
Reply 5
Original post by theycallmebecca
I have already brought my parents in to ask them if I can still do A-levels but they're still saying no. The thing is with these people it's very very hard to change their minds. Once they've made a decision it's final and there's no going back. Although, I still have a little fight left in me. Maybe you could give me tips on what to say or do that will hopefully make them have a change of heart?

you in the situation im sorta in i currently do 3 A levels since i dropped one and the teacher of the subject that i dropped the subject of wanted me to carry on with it but i refused , and shes also the F'In pricipal of the sixth form which maeks matters worse i tried to change to anotehr subject but this week thursday she was like to me ima just do 3 a levels........i want to do 4 AS levels and 3 A levels so on monday ima try throw my self into another subjects hopefullybut a lot fo people are saying its to late so im really confused on what to do.

Honestly i think if it dosent go your way you might just have to leave for another sixth form/college trust me i know its seem all long and that but if it will benfit you in the long run take the chance
Original post by Synonym
you in the situation im sorta in i currently do 3 A levels since i dropped one and the teacher of the subject that i dropped the subject of wanted me to carry on with it but i refused , and shes also the F'In pricipal of the sixth form which maeks matters worse i tried to change to anotehr subject but this week thursday she was like to me ima just do 3 a levels........i want to do 4 AS levels and 3 A levels so on monday ima try throw my self into another subjects hopefullybut a lot fo people are saying its to late so im really confused on what to do.

Honestly i think if it dosent go your way you might just have to leave for another sixth form/college trust me i know its seem all long and that but if it will benfit you in the long run take the chance

I was doing 3 A levels to begin with because they wouldn't allow to take four. I think it was cos of my average GCSE score. They said I was borderline A-level and BTEC but I obviously chose A-levels, not knowing I would have to change again. And I think it's a bit late to change to another college as it's already been 6 weeks into term.
Reply 7
Original post by theycallmebecca
I was doing 3 A levels to begin with because they wouldn't allow to take four. I think it was cos of my average GCSE score. They said I was borderline A-level and BTEC but I obviously chose A-levels, not knowing I would have to change again. And I think it's a bit late to change to another college as it's already been 6 weeks into term.

ah i see i honestly dont know i really wanna take a 4th AS level :/
Original post by Zuki
In all honesty. A Btec will get you to where you want to be. My friend got onto the KPMG school leaver programme with a Btec. I'm assuming it's the extended Btec? In which case, you'll be fine. But if you really want to do A levels, then by all means fight for it.

Really? can you please contact me as i doing 2 a levels and a btec and want to ask you or your friend some questions about the kpmg school leavers.
Reply 9
Original post by Bilal Karshe
Really? can you please contact me as i doing 2 a levels and a btec and want to ask you or your friend some questions about the kpmg school leavers.

Hey, sure, I'll contact you in a few mins, just finishing my noodles :smile:
Thanks much appreciated brother :smile:

Original post by Zuki
Hey, sure, I'll contact you in a few mins, just finishing my noodles :smile:
Well I am the same as you in terms of being introverted and quiet and never answering questions, but what helped me were the assessments as I always try my best in them and hence the teacher knows that I do indeed listen and am capable. Try to ask them to let you do an assignment or something so you can show you are capable.

Quick Reply

Latest