The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Is the University of Warwick actually good?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xpdevil
Hello everyone,

Before I start I'd like to say that I'm not elitist and am trying to assess this situation as impartially as possible. I have applied for Mathematics at Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, UCL and KCL.

The essence of my question is in the title. Is Warwick actually a good place to study? As offers have started to be given I have noticed people with very average AS and GCSE grades being given offers. This university is clearly one which likes to be considered amongst the very top of the UK so why does it give out offers so liberally. That is not to say that I don't think that everybody should be given a chance but is the university really top if it appeals to BBB candidates. Also, how highly is Warwick regarded, say compared to Imperial as this is the main point for comparison for me. But most importantly, what is the environment like at Warwick? I have heard that it is nice and welcoming but at the same time cannot help but think that something along the lines of what happens in grammar schools might happen (I've seen first hand) i.e. many people being convinced that they are geniuses because they got in. The same argument can be applied to Imperial. In fact regarding Imperial I have actually heard that people are simple very anti-socially orientated and that it is a strict place of study and no fun with international students massively outnumbering domestics. In conclusion how does Warwick compare to Imperial socially and academically and generally is it a misfired bullet to go and study at Warwick with top grades if you had the option to go to other places likes UCL, KCL etc?

Thanks all and good luck with offers

Hi

I've just started at Warwick, and its quantitative degrees are very highly ranked. All Warwick degrees are good, but it's in economics and related areas that Warwick is one of the most prestigious universities in the country.

I would rank it below Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial (and possibly UCl) but that's it.

If employers are anything to go by, Warwick is certainly very good.

I also don't think it accepts average students. Like Oxford (to which I applied but messed up my interview), it accepts people usually with grades far higher than its stated admission grades.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by yl95
No, you can't live at halls every year but halls are similarly priced to private accommodation other students find in the following years.

Do all men want to find girlfriends at uni? No. They can find them in their hometown, at work, through friends or at other universities.
Don't make assumptions please, even if I did have rich parents it doesn't automatically mean that I'll have been getting money from them. If it interests you, I am eligible for the bursary at Imperial.

No, it's not behind... Oxbridge > Warwick. You do not need 'good contacts' to get into Oxford, what sort of BS is that? I do wonder how much you actually know about Imperial or Imperial Maths.

Don't invent comments to suit yourself. If you don't have good contacts when you go to Oxford - and they take a high proportion of students from a rich background - then you do by the time an employer is looking to recruit you.

I'll ignore the rest, not worth comment.
it is part of the russel group.
Of course it is!
Original post by honeylooloo
it is part of the russel group.
Of course it is!

The Russell group isn't really indicative of anything other than research income. Bath, St Andrews and arguably Loughborough and Lancaster are better than a fair number of RG unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Original post by ibzombie96
Hi

I've just started at Warwick, and its quantitative degrees are very highly ranked. All Warwick degrees are good, but it's in economics and related areas that Warwick is one of the most prestigious universities in the country.

I would rank it below Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial (and possibly UCl) but that's it.

If employers are anything to go by, Warwick is certainly very good.

I also don't think it accepts average students. Like Oxford (to which I applied but messed up my interview), it accepts people usually with grades far higher than its stated admission grades.

thanks
Original post by parentlurker
Don't invent comments to suit yourself. If you don't have good contacts when you go to Oxford - and they take a high proportion of students from a rich background - then you do by the time an employer is looking to recruit you.

I'll ignore the rest, not worth comment.

How am I 'inventing comments'? You assumed that my parents were rich because I could afford accommodation at Imperial without forking out an overdraft. Plenty of my friends are managing fine.
Well, of course you'll have good contacts by the time an employer is looking to recruit you because lots of companies go to Oxford and people will turn up to networking events.
Please don't give ut false information to other parents or prospective applicants.
Original post by Anonynmous
In simple terms

Warwick dominate Investment Banking compared to other target schools

this is not true, lse have more.
Original post by Princepieman
The Russell group isn't really indicative of anything other than research income. Bath, St Andrews and arguably Loughborough and Lancaster are better than a fair number of RG unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Loughborough is a second rank university. Lancaster is a bit better, but probably still second rank, and certainly not Russell Group level.
Original post by welcometoib

Marginally.

Posted from TSR Mobile

LSE do have more graduates in investment banking generally speaking, but why should that matter to anyone not going to LSE?
Original post by King of the Ring
Loughborough is a second rank university. Lancaster is a bit better, but probably still second rank, and certainly not Russell Group level.

LOL, both of those universities fair extraordinarily well in graduate job placement - Loughborough moreso however. They are by no means 'second rank' when the RG includes the likes of QMUL, Cardiff, Queen's Belfast.

Posted from TSR Mobile
LSE do have more graduates in investment banking generally speaking, but why should that matter to anyone not going to LSE?

Nah, I'm talking about spring weeks and internships - LSE definitely have more overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile: im just tryna be as non biased as possible! you didnt respond to my pm btw! everything good? catchup time
LOL, both of those universities fair extraordinarily well in graduate job placement - Loughborough moreso however. They are by no means 'second rank' when the RG includes the likes of QMUL, Cardiff, Queen's Belfast.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd still rather go to Liverpool over Loughborough, as they offer some of the most prestigious courses in the Sciences. QMUL and Cardiff are great universities, not sure why you look down on them.
I'd still rather go to Liverpool over Loughborough, as they offer some of the most prestigious courses in the Sciences. QMUL and Cardiff are great universities, not sure why you look down on them.

So are Lancaster and Loughborough.... That's the point. QMUL is regularly the lowest ranked RG university and take on students with much lower achieved grades than the offers they set.
So are Lancaster and Loughborough.... That's the point. QMUL is regularly the lowest ranked RG university and take on students with much lower achieved grades than the offers they set.

Domestic rankings and entry level tariff points don't determine prestigious or how good the university is. The World rankings are much better for that, as you are compared against the World's best, and against fairly reliable criteria. QMUL is a World top 100 university. Cardiff is also seen as quite a prestigious university among the older generation.

Generally, yeah but as of late, Warwick is something else.

Thanks for the tip tho! :smile:
Best university in the world, people are absolutely amazing, the lecturers are phenomenal and they university focuses a lot on employment. There's so much help available, would recommend this university to anyone :smile: i've only been here for a week and I absolutely love it
Original post by WarwickFan
Best university in the world, people are absolutely amazing, the lecturers are phenomenal and they university focuses a lot on employment. There's so much help available, would recommend this university to anyone :smile: i've only been here for a week and I absolutely love it

Campus is pretty bland,unlike Durham, Bristol and Nottingham.

Quick Reply

Latest