The Student Room Group

Should I stick with Maths?

I am an A-level student studying Economics(A2), Business Studies(A-level), Accounting(A2) and Maths(AS). Last year, for AS, I didn't take math and instead took AICT(computers). After alot of research I realised i should've taken math since I am going for a course in Accounting & Finance. Top universities like LSE always mention it to be preferable to take math in the eligibility criteria. Therefore I took up Maths AS in hopes to rectify this. However, I don't really like Maths atm and miss AICT. Is it really worthwhile to do Math, I mean do I have a chance to get into LSE without a Math Alevel? My AS grades were:
AS:
AICT- A
ACCOUNTING- A
ECONOMICS-B
(AAB)
If I take up AICT for A2 I am sure I can get an A* and little hardwork can get my economics grade to an A.
My IGCSE grades:
4A*s and 5As
BASICALLY, can I get into LSE with these grades, without math?
Original post by Shuqii
I am an A-level student studying Economics(A2), Business Studies(A-level), Accounting(A2) and Maths(AS). Last year, for AS, I didn't take math and instead took AICT(computers). After alot of research I realised i should've taken math since I am going for a course in Accounting & Finance. Top universities like LSE always mention it to be preferable to take math in the eligibility criteria. Therefore I took up Maths AS in hopes to rectify this. However, I don't really like Maths atm and miss AICT. Is it really worthwhile to do Math, I mean do I have a chance to get into LSE without a Math Alevel? My AS grades were:
AS:
AICT- A
ACCOUNTING- A
ECONOMICS-B
(AAB)
If I take up AICT for A2 I am sure I can get an A* and little hardwork can get my economics grade to an A.
My IGCSE grades:
4A*s and 5As
BASICALLY, can I get into LSE with these grades, without math?

Accounting & Finance at top universities - like LSE and Bristol - will hold preference towards people holding at least an AS level in maths, preferably however they'd like to see people with A2 maths.

It's worth pointing out that Warwick require maths and further maths for their Accounting & Finance programs.

Also, universities hold a disliking towards people who do subjects with significant overlap, such as economics and business, or English Literature and English Languages, so I'd keep aware of this.

LSE have people applying who have a perfect academic achievement - in very strong subjects. LSE also have a large international intake which makes the competitiveness for home students very high.

Personally, I'd drop business studies, and do maths AS and A2, Economics A2 and IT A2 all in one year. I know it sounds daunting, but if you succeed it shows good determination and makes you application more competitive.

Maths will also be good because (top) unis seek generally around two facilitating subjects to A2 level - if you don't take A2 maths - you won't hold a single facilitating subject. However economics is a respected A level.

Finally, I'd look long and hard into pursuing a gap year working for an accountancy firm. Acquiring placements isn't too difficult if you posses strong A level grades; and it gives you plenty to talk about in your personal statement. A gap year working in accounting shows motivation for both the degree and pursuing the field post university - you also get a wage which helps, especially for living in London.

Hope I helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending