The Student Room Group

Should I go on anti-depressants?

I suffered from major depression in the past, which over the years has gone down by itself, and thanks to exercise. But nevertheless I'm not fully right, and I do feel depressed most weeks. Should I try anti-depressants? Does it cure you as long as you keep taking them?
Antidepressants can help some people and, I think at least, are worth considering if your depression is in the moderate-to-severe sort of range (they're little better than placebo for mild depression). You said you've exercised which is great, are you doing other things like eating a healthy diet, getting enough sleep, socializing and just generally taking care of yourself? All of those can help with depression. If you've tried that then antidepressants might be the next step. I'd advise you talk to your doctor for their opinion. It might even be possible for you to be referred for CBT which is also shown to help depression - without the side effects you get from drugs.

As for "curing you", I'm not sure I'd use that term. For a lot of people, antidepressants take the edge off the depression and help them get on with their lives. They're not "happy pills" where you'll instantly be cured, you still gotta work at it. They also often take 6-8weeks to kick in so are not a short term fix either. I used to have pretty bad depression and tried quite a number of antidepressants and the one that I did find worked for me helped a hell of a lot with restoring my motivation and also helped with the anxiety that was also holding me back. I stopped taking them a number of months ago and my depression hasn't returned so I guess for some people they can be a cure - I was on it 4 years however: as I said, not a short term fix.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
I did anti-depressants for about 1.5yrs, i personally didn't notice a difference. in fact i think i felt the same, but i didn't have any "worse" days. it was just plain neutral i suppose.
but some people i've met say it's really helped them. so it's up to you, and your doctor to decide whats the best thing.
i still haven't cured myself, but i've learned to work around my depression without the medication.
i don't think i'd consider taking the tablets again though. it made me go through a phase where i thought, "i don't need to help myself.. the tablets will do it for me" which of course it didn't haha

but the person ^^^ has good points too, take in others experiences but don't let them decide for you.
Reply 3
I simply I can't fathom pills helping me personally.

Quick Reply

Latest