The Student Room Group

Please help me. What do I choose? Biomed or microbiology?

Since I was small I have watched documentaries and thought 'I want to be a research scientist so that I can find out more about things like Cancer and Progeria.' I am now in year 13 and I decided to do research I should do Biomedical science at uni. But the uni I really want to go to has changed my course to microbiology. What do I do? That course will still allow me to do research but I am thinking that will restrict me. If I take that course that means that I can only do research about pathogens and illness or diseases caused by them. Something like progeria or cancer, I wouldn't be able to do research about. Am I right? And do you think I should stick with biomedical science or do you think I should still go ahead and do microbiology.
What is making me consider doing microbiology is the fact that the uni I really want to go to has really good links with some companies worldwide and really trains their students to a high standard before they finish their degree. The unni also seems to care a lot more about their students than my second choice. Their open day was well structured and they have some fantastic biomedical equipment and sports, music etc facilities. What do you advice me to do? What course should I do and at my first or second choice? The second choice uni, the people in the uni are very friendly and the area is beautiful so it is still a nice place but, I think there are more opportunities at my first choice.
Also, I had planned to do the accredited course which would make things easier for me when I finish uni, but if I do biomedical science at my second choice, I would feel a bit stranded. It would be harder for me to get a job.
My first choice wouldnt let me do the biomed course with the foundation year because I have already done AS chem, but that is a good thing, nevertheless they still refused me. They wouldnt let me do the normal course without the foundation year because I didn't take A2 chem. When on the visit, some students told me that they know people that have switched course and that I could most probably switch to the biomed course, but it is not entirely certain.
Also the microbiology course have lower requirements than the biomed. They only need GCSE double award sci and dont need a-levels. Does that mean its not a very high/good course. I dont want to do something of a lower standard. I AM intelligent. I feel like the uni are saying I am not intelligent for recommending the course with lower requirements to me.
What do I do?
Reply 1
It's not a matter of intelligence or not, it's a matter of do you have the grades. Universities do not measure you by how smart you are, they measure you by exam results. It's the way the cookie crumbles.

I wouldn't study Microbiology personally as I think it's a bit boring. I have a couple of Microbiology modules as part of my Biomedical Science degree and personally I can't wait to get them over with.

PS: Use more paragraphs please.
Reply 2
In your circumstance (that is if you feel you're really smart) I would get the best grades and re-apply next year to better universities/courses.

Latest

Trending

Trending