The Student Room Group

Why do Pakistanis get lumped in with Indians (or even "South Asians")?

We have different face shapes. We have vastly different cultures.

It's like lumping Turkey or Syria in with Europe. How many on here would say Turkey or Syria are European countries and that Turkish people are European?

The differences between India and Pakistan are greater than the differences between Europe and Turkey.

How would you feel if someone asked a Turkish or Syrian person to represent the "European" ethnicity or race?

A Pakistani isn't the same ethnicity as other South Asians. Even Pakistanis themselves prefer to relate more to Middle Easterners. Pakistanis shouldn't be used to "box-tick" for other South Asians or Indians.

They might be part of an "Asian" ethnicity, but certainly not an "Indian" ethnicity.

Scroll to see replies

The problem is people like you mentally corrupt the world thinking this way.

What's the hype about India? So what?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Because they are in South Asian, and Pakistan formed part of the Indian subcontinent, and indeed was part of British India until some Western educated modern-day Pakistanis said they couldn't possibly be part of a unitary state with a dirty Hindu majority
Reply 4
Original post by Rat_Bag
Because they are in South Asian, and Pakistan formed part of the Indian subcontinent, and indeed was part of British India until some Western educated modern-day Pakistanis said they couldn't possibly be part of a unitary state with a dirty Hindu majority

Were you not paying attention in class when you were taught European history?

Countries like Turkey have played a great role in European history.
Reply 5
Original post by justinetsr

It's like lumping Turkey or Syria in with Europe. How many on here would say Turkey or Syria are European countries and that Turkish people are European?

The differences between India and Pakistan are greater than the differences between Europe and Turkey.

How would you feel if someone asked a Turkish or Syrian person to represent the "European" ethnicity or race?

They might be part of an "Asian" ethnicity, but certainly not an "Indian" ethnicity.

Also to note, the national languages of both India and Pakistan are English/Hindi and English/Urdu. Since Hindi and Urdu are basically the same language (just different scripts), they share a lot in common.

Also, there are common ethnicities across the two countries with both India and Pakistan having Sindhi and Punjabi populations.

Bear in mind that the diversity within India. Rajasthan in India probably has more in common with Pakistan that it does with Tamil Nadu, also in India. India could have been a country that included Pakistan were it not for a small number of Muslims in the north insisting the country be partitioned so as not to share power with dirty Hindus.

A Pakistani isn't the same ethnicity as other South Asians. Even Pakistanis themselves prefer to relate more to Middle Easterners. Pakistanis shouldn't be used to "box-tick" for other South Asians or Indians.

You are right, some Pakistanis are wannabe Middle Easterners/Arabs. But that is just a reflection of insecurity of those Pakistanis in question, who despise their "weak Asianess" and want to be part of the "strong Arabness". I mean the number of Pakistanis that claim to be "saeed" (descendent of Arabs not locals) is just hilarious
Ahahaha

The amount of Pakistanis who wish they were either White or Arabic is too damn high

You guys are desis 100%

I have no problem with Pakistanis or desis, but I think it is pathetic not to have pride in yourself and to see South Asia as weak and Arabia as strong
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Were you not paying attention in class when you were taught European history?

Countries like Turkey have played a great role in European history.

Yep, hence why in the Balkans, people do identify and recognise the influence of Turkey (since Turkey once upon a time occupied large parts of South East Europe). Greeks and Turks are very much alike. Neither want to admit that of course. Just as you (presumably Pakistani) don't want to admit how much Pakistanis and Indians are alike.
pakistanis are pakistanis, we are not indians and we never were so any indian tryna say we were one country well guess what the whole world was one god damn country at some point, and pakistan is a diverse country with punjab pakistanis on the East, north west frontier which has alot of afghan influence, and sindh/balochistan with a lot of persian influence
Reply 9
Original post by Rat_Bag

Also, there are common ethnicities across the two countries with both India and Pakistan having Sindhi and Punjabi populations.

Bear in mind that the diversity within India. Rajasthan in India probably has more in common with Pakistan that it does with Tamil Nadu, also in India. India could have been a country that included Pakistan were it not for a small number of Muslims in the north insisting the country be partitioned so as not to share power with dirty Hindus.

You are right, some Pakistanis are wannabe Middle Easterners/Arabs. But that is just a reflection of insecurity of those Pakistanis in question, who despise their "weak Asianess" and want to be part of the "strong Arabness". I mean the number of Pakistanis that claim to be "saeed" (descendent of Arabs not locals) is just hilarious

I actually think Rajasthan has more in common with Tamil Nadu than Pakistan. The diversity in India reminds me of the Europe. Greece has far more in common with Spain than it does with Turkey.

Pakistan uses an Arabic/Persian script. Surely that would make them Middle Eastern?

India was only united with Pakistan by the Mughals (Sino-Turks). The concept of "India" itself is a western idea, invented by Persians.

I find it funny how hard Pakistanis try to dissociate themselves from India and realign themselves with Arabs. Pakistanis are south Asians because they are from, well, south Asia. I don't care if Pakistanis prefer to relate more to Middle Easterner -- that doesn't change the fact that they're from south Asia, not the Middle East.

The comparison with Turkey and Syria is false. Turkey is widely known as straddling the (imaginary) line between Europe and Asia and there's no serious person who actually suggests that Syria is European. If there's an Asian equivalent of Turkey, it's Iran, not Pakistan.

LOL, no they're not.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by halal kebab5
pakistanis are pakistanis, we are not indians and we never were so any indian tryna say we were one country well guess what the whole world was one god damn country at some point, and pakistan is a diverse country with punjab pakistanis on the East, north west frontier which has alot of afghan influence, and sindh/balochistan with a lot of persian influence

Of course you were, Indian Civil War gave birth to Pakistan, lots of Muslims moved from even Southern Parts of Indian to live in the piece of Indian referred to as Pakistan.

Except until 1947. :lol: Pakistan was originally an acronym (PAKSTAN) for the territories proposed for the new Muslim state. The 'i' was added for ease of pronunciation so don't try to pretend like you're some distinct civilisation. You have a few hundred years to go for that, at least, and it probably won't happen at the current rate.

Point taken about diversity though; although, a similar diversity exists in India. :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
I find it funny how hard Pakistanis try to dissociate themselves from India and realign themselves with Arabs. Pakistanis are south Asians because they are from, well, south Asia. I don't care if Pakistanis prefer to relate more to Middle Easterner -- that doesn't change the fact that they're from south Asia, not the Middle East.

The comparison with Turkey and Syria is false. Turkey is widely known as straddling the (imaginary) line between Europe and Asia and there's no serious person who actually suggests that Syria is European. If there's an Asian equivalent of Turkey, it's Iran, not Pakistan.

LOL, no they're not.

Oh my daiz, holy **** :rofl:

the salt is real

+1 for this post
Original post by Hydeman
Except until 1947. :lol:

Point taken about diversity though; although, a similar diversity exists in India. :P

most indians have sri lankan influence
Reply 15
Why do you want to be seen as Arab? Inferiority complex?
As an Indian, when I've been called Paki I dont really mind much.
most indians have sri lankan influence

And? How does that change the fact that India and Pakistan were one big country until August 1947?

(also see my edit to the previous post -- missed out some information)
ITT: 'My great great...great grandad was a 6'5 Arabian warlord king, I am not desi, I am not Indian'
Original post by Ahem-
Why do you want to be seen as Arab? Inferiority complex?
As an Indian, when I've been called Paki I dont really mind much.

More or less certain of this.
Pakistanis are not arab and are not indian, we are pakistanis and thats all.

Latest