The Student Room Group

Why do people go clubbing ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by iAre Teh Lejend
I've never understood the purpose of this phenomenon. People attend sessions called 'pre-drinks' where they consume some amount of alcohol whilst playing drinking games. By the time they get to the club they're under the influence of alcohol and so do not entirely act on their own accord, nor do they remember many of the events that night

Upon arrival, more alcoholic beverages are purchased and attendees simply dance aimlessly for the whole night possibly hooking up with strangers and having intercourse that night without having any emotional attraction for eachother, some are even 'friends' before this, and remain as such post events. This is considered normal among a lot of young adults.

What is the point of intoxicating yourself to such levels, that leave you incapable of making decisions correctly, and amnesic. It's an expensive feat that bares no benefit whatsoever, it isn't like you can recall the night and say "that was a good night".

Now for those who might ask how I know this, I have lived on campus for 2 and a half years now, and have house mates who tell me what happens.

What happened to the days where going out involved going to places of interest, playing football with mates, going out for a meal, going to theme parks, sleep overs, watching movies, going ice skating, etc . This is not to say these don't happen anymore, they do of course, but no where near as much as "clubbing".

I asked my house mates why they go clubbing, they said they do it to fit in... sounds pretty pathetic in my opinion.

What are your thoughts on this ?

It's an escape, much like reading a good book. I would like to distance these types of nights - as fun as they are - from actual club nights though, where you're going to experience music and culture, I'm talking Fabric in London, Rainbows in Birmingham or whatever.
That's not exactly the way every night happens.

I go out because I have fun and it's something different - I live with my two best friends and see my other friends regularly in everyday situations, so it's not like we have to be drunk to enjoy eachother's company. But we go on the odd night out to do something different/because we have fun.

And I go to specific club nights where they play music I listen to and I've met loads of people who actually have the same taste in music as me, which I love, so I still go.
(edited 8 years ago)
Because they can? It doesn't affect your life so live and let live. Everyone is different and likes doing different things for whatever reason...
My reasons for going clubbing is to have fun with friends I much prefer to dance and to enjoy myself than chasing girls, but if a nice girl comes along and wants me to take her home then that's a bonus.
Who is clubbing tonight ? Friends bailed :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BaffledPenguin
Because they can? It doesn't affect your life so live and let live. Everyone is different and likes doing different things for whatever reason...

I was asking why, am I not allowed to ask why ? o.O I gave my opinion on how I feel about it, and was looking for other peoples opinions. Never did I say I hate or dislike people who go clubbing. Jheeze.
I don't get it either. I hate drinking/smoking I don't see any positives of it.
I'll be off to uni next year and I really think that I won't fit in because I won't be going to any parties.

I'm already kind of in this situation. The only people who ever go out are the people who go to parties. None of my friends drink so I don't see them outside of school because they're so unsocial. I don't drink but I want to be social .. ie just meeting up, going shopping, ice skating etc. :frown:
Original post by iAre Teh Lejend
I was asking why, am I not allowed to ask why ? o.O I gave my opinion on how I feel about it, and was looking for other peoples opinions. Never did I say I hate or dislike people who go clubbing. Jheeze.

I agree with you, i dont see why people do it:confused:
messing around whilst drunk in a place full of chavs and dodgy drunk men
and i cant stand deafeningly loud music
I go because I find clubs really fun generally. Half the time I go sober, when you have a decent DJ are with mates and avoid any pricks its a super fun night. It helps I really like EDM and I know plenty of people that only enjoy it drunk but that's the reason I go.
Reply 49
Because its fun, to chill with mates and mess about!
Reply 50
Not anymore, too old for putting up with all the drunken eejits.
I'm not a big fan of clubbing myself. I've only been out clubbing a handful of times throughout my 3 years at uni. There are bits I enjoy like dancing (if the music is decent enough). But I hate everything else about it - having to pre-drink, going to bed late and having to wake up for a 9 am lecture the next day. The only reason I go is to fit in (as shallow as it sounds) because my friend tends to say I'm unsociable whenever I say no to things she suggests. I know I shouldn't let that get to me but she's good at making sure it gets to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Flak Jacket
To catch an STI.

Is that a Pokemon?
To get drunk, pre drinking is stupid too, because sometimes when you get to the club your to drunk to enter, some clubs are strict on this sort of stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest