The Student Room Group

Social Work Interview HELP

I've applied to do an undergraduate degree in Social work at Man Met, Edge Hill and Salford. Has any one got any advice for me as to what questions they would ask, what I will need to know and if anyone has had experience with interviews here for Social Work please could you share them with me. Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by oliviaturner1996
I've applied to do an undergraduate degree in Social work at Man Met, Edge Hill and Salford. Has any one got any advice for me as to what questions they would ask, what I will need to know and if anyone has had experience with interviews here for Social Work please could you share them with me. Thanks in advance!

Hi
I'm in my final year of the degree so I've been through the interview process. My first suggestion would be to go on the Community Care website and just have a read through articles that take your interest. It will really help with questions they might ask in the interview.

Some of the "buzz words/topics" are anti-oppressive practice, anti-discriminatory, anti oppressive practice, Munro review, the new Care Act, multi-disciplinary practice, empowerment, social work values. A lot of information about these things can be found on the Community Care website.

Examples of some questions I have heard of (definitely a non-exhaustive list):
What do you think social work is?
Can you tell me about a time you have handled a difficult situation...what did you do?
What are social work values? What are your values?
How do you deal with stress?
Why do you want to be a social worker?
What does professionalism mean in social work?
Questions about time management skills/experience of time management
Can you tell me about some current issues within social work practice?

If they ask if you have any particular area of social work you're interested in, it's good to have some idea of some interests but make sure you don't sound too focused on just that. Make sure you show you're open to learning about/experiencing all areas since the degree covers all areas.

Make sure you know about what the role of the HCPC and BASW and have a read of the Code of Ethics from BASW and the standards of proficiency from the HCPC. They will help you understand the social work role and inform your answers to the above questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending