The Student Room Group

The Handmaids Tale and The Color Purple

I have to write a comparative essay for these two books for my course work. I have a few points about the suppression of women and women being used purely as sexual objects by men, however i need some more points, any help would be much appreciated.
Original post by 111997Jess
I have to write a comparative essay for these two books for my course work. I have a few points about the suppression of women and women being used purely as sexual objects by men, however i need some more points, any help would be much appreciated.

i think thats enough. u could at how both protagonist use other women as a sort of escapism from their reality. So Ofgled uses her best friend and her mother with her memories to escape her life and Celie uses Shug as part of the outside world to escape it. So perhaps you can come up with a point like "how protagonist use the outside world to escape their oppression" or something. Then link that to the oppression of women (i would prefer you to use the word oppression, cause that means to keep someone down by unjust force or authority. Whereas suppression is a broarder term meaning to put an end to something or to keep from revealing) and none of them do that; they are just oppressed by men.
Reply 2
Thank you for the ideas that will really help. And I didn't realise I thought they meant similar things, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending