The Student Room Group

Do Oxford Computer Science Undergraduates do well in the Maths Challenge?

I was just wondering as I was thinking of applying next year, although I think I'll only be able to get a silver in the Senior Maths Challenge. Somebody who goes/went to Oxford and studies Computer Science, could you tell me whether you and fellow students performed well in the Maths Challenge. And by well I mean at least a Gold and possibly a qualification into the BMO. I ask as I know they do look at your mathematical ability.
Original post by 83457
I was just wondering as I was thinking of applying next year, although I think I'll only be able to get a silver in the Senior Maths Challenge. Somebody who goes/went to Oxford and studies Computer Science, could you tell me whether you and fellow students performed well in the Maths Challenge. And by well I mean at least a Gold and possibly a qualification into the BMO. I ask as I know they do look at your mathematical ability.

I'm at Oxford studying CS. If I remember correctly, I got Silver in first year, and then Gold (getting through to BMO, though scoring very badly) in the second year.
Reply 2
Original post by fluteflute
I'm at Oxford studying CS. If I remember correctly, I got Silver in first year, and then Gold (getting through to BMO, though scoring very badly) in the second year.

Were you able to mention getting a Gold and qualifying to BMO on your personal statement (as I'm guessing you'd have been in year 13) or had you already applied to uni?
Original post by 83457
Were you able to mention getting a Gold and qualifying to BMO on your personal statement (as I'm guessing you'd have been in year 13) or had you already applied to uni?

I did briefly mention having got Gold in junior/intermediate challenges, but don't think the most recent Gold/BMO result made it in.

But to be honest, Oxford CS tutors aren't going to pay much attention to it. They already have your MAT result to judge mathematical ability from. The PS is more of an opportunity to speak about why CS interests you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending