The Student Room Group

Serious advice on A-level choices

Hi, I'm a GCSE student and deadlines for a-levels are approaching and I'm still confused on what to pick. I certainly am doing bio and chem for medicine but don't about the other 2:frown: I want to do English lang & psychology but many say this is too hard. Also want to do Maths. Pleas could I have some advice? thanks x
If you are good at Maths then definitely consider it as one of your options,it will provide you with more options and personally i find it easier to revise when subjects are similar and something you learn in one subject you will learn it in another subject e.g. last year when i was doing AS Maths i learnt about logarithms and in A2 Chemistry we are using logarithms for the acids ,bases and buffers unit and this just speeded the learning process as a whole.
I'd recommend doing Maths instead of Psychology or English. If you decide that you want a career in science, but not necessarily medicine, Maths can be beneficial to your application. If you're doing Biology/Chemistry/Maths, you can really pick what you want in the last slot - either Psychology or English would be fine.
Reply 3
if i could go back

bio, chem,geography, sociology
or ICT, sociology

if you're good at maths - do it
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChuckHades
I'd recommend doing Maths instead of Psychology or English. If you decide that you want a career in science, but not necessarily medicine, Maths can be beneficial to your application. If you're doing Biology/Chemistry/Maths, you can really pick what you want in the last slot - either Psychology or English would be fine.

What did you decide to pick at A-level and why?
Original post by mishmoshmogo
If you are good at Maths then definitely consider it as one of your options,it will provide you with more options and personally i find it easier to revise when subjects are similar and something you learn in one subject you will learn it in another subject e.g. last year when i was doing AS Maths i learnt about logarithms and in A2 Chemistry we are using logarithms for the acids ,bases and buffers unit and this just speeded the learning process as a whole.

I'm also doing further maths at gcse, do you think this will be an advantage? I would say I'm very good at maths, but I don't put in as much time and I'm not so organized. However, I'm trying to improve this. what would/did you choose for your a-levels?
I would pick maths and psychology because it can help with some of the biology stuff you do. It would also help with medicine.
Original post by alishba-rosex
I'm also doing further maths at gcse, do you think this will be an advantage? I would say I'm very good at maths, but I don't put in as much time and I'm not so organized. However, I'm trying to improve this. what would/did you choose for your a-levels?

I did Biology,Chemistry,Maths and History in my first and currently in my second year i am doing Biology,Chemistry and History.I had to drop maths because it was my worst grade but i strongly recommend you to do Maths

Quick Reply

Latest