The Student Room Group

Stressed mature student

I am a 27 year old mature student in my second year of university.
I am finding it extremely stressful. Before coming back to University I worked as a nutritional therapist and decided to do another degree after deciding to embark on a new career path. It has cost a lot of money, and in order to make anything of my degree afterwards I need at least a 2-1.

After my first year I averaged a 2-2, but I was not overly worried about this as the year did not count toward my overall grade and I did not manage my time to the best of my ability. However, I am now in the second year, and the work load has doubled, and I am finding myself, in terms of studying, even further behind than the first year.

I am extremely worried about my grades. Though I haven't actually had anything back marked yet, the work load feels so intense I can barely focus due to the stress, and thus my work is of lower quality. Last year I went on anti depressants for a while which I had quite bad side effects with, so I do not want to go back to the doctor and get prescribed them again.
The councelling service at the university is extremely busy, with a 6 month waiting list unless you're suicidal.

I just am so stressed and anxious I do not know where to turn :frown: I need a 2-1, at teh very minimnum or my choice to go back to university would not have been worth it, and my future prospects of what I'd like to do will be gone.

I would really appreciate any help regarding this as I do not want it to turn into a spiral. I have a girlfriend and I am concerned as well that my stress may rub off on her or something. I may be more stressed recently because I have had a lot of deadlines in a period of two weeks, so been unable to do anything except work. But anyway I'd appreciate your suggestions and help!
I know these suggestions might seem fairly obvious but;
- Have you thought about what things you have done to reduce stress in the past?
- Do you think you have the same stress levels at when you attended university the first time?
- Have you written down everything that you feel stressed about (I know you did for this post but I mean like really think about everything that you are stressed about). Write it down in a diary / Microsoft Word. Sometimes that can put things into perspective.
- Think about how you can manage each stress.
- Be organised. I often find that when things that stress me out are out of my control, having things in my life organised gives me more control over them and reduces some stress. That might even be having a work timetable to prioritise any work.
- It might sound silly but it's important to escape from the things that are making you stressed. So, having time out to do something other than uni work so that you can refocus when you go back to it. Things like exercise, seeing friends, hobbies etc.
- Another failry obvious one is remember to have a healthy diet! I feel 1 million times better about things when I eat healthier.
- Talk to someone about your stresses. My mother always says, "a problem shared is a problem halved". You have already done that on here I suppose (thumbs up!! :smile:), but maybe talk to someone that knows you really well.
- Also, put things into perspective, working hard now will pay off once you've finished!! :smile:

:smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I am a 27 year old mature student in my second year of university.
I am finding it extremely stressful. Before coming back to University I worked as a nutritional therapist and decided to do another degree after deciding to embark on a new career path. It has cost a lot of money, and in order to make anything of my degree afterwards I need at least a 2-1.

After my first year I averaged a 2-2, but I was not overly worried about this as the year did not count toward my overall grade and I did not manage my time to the best of my ability. However, I am now in the second year, and the work load has doubled, and I am finding myself, in terms of studying, even further behind than the first year.

I am extremely worried about my grades. Though I haven't actually had anything back marked yet, the work load feels so intense I can barely focus due to the stress, and thus my work is of lower quality. Last year I went on anti depressants for a while which I had quite bad side effects with, so I do not want to go back to the doctor and get prescribed them again.
The councelling service at the university is extremely busy, with a 6 month waiting list unless you're suicidal.

I just am so stressed and anxious I do not know where to turn :frown: I need a 2-1, at teh very minimnum or my choice to go back to university would not have been worth it, and my future prospects of what I'd like to do will be gone.

I would really appreciate any help regarding this as I do not want it to turn into a spiral. I have a girlfriend and I am concerned as well that my stress may rub off on her or something. I may be more stressed recently because I have had a lot of deadlines in a period of two weeks, so been unable to do anything except work. But anyway I'd appreciate your suggestions and help!

You haven't mentioned seeing your personal tutor about this. If you haven't, they should be your first port of call, and they won't have a six month waiting list. This is precisely what they are there for, so do give them the opportunity to do their job. They can't guess what is in your mind, so you need to tell them and ask for additional support. You will not be the first or the last to need this.

Quick Reply

Latest