The Student Room Group

Benefits of being a mature student?

What are the benefits of being a mature student at university compared to someone who attends straight after a levels?

After spending a few years in a job, I feel that attending uni as a mature student would be better for me and my mindset is a lot more work-focused.
I find I'm much more goal oriented now, and hence more deliberate and focused in my studies as a result. When I first went to uni after school I approached it more or less as "school 2" which wasn't really ideal (and I think this is quite common among school leavers). Now that I've spent quite a few years working, since it feels more like an active choice to return to higher education it's something I'm more personally invested in as a result.
Original post by artful_lounger
I find I'm much more goal oriented now, and hence more deliberate and focused in my studies as a result. When I first went to uni after school I approached it more or less as "school 2" which wasn't really ideal (and I think this is quite common among school leavers). Now that I've spent quite a few years working, since it feels more like an active choice to return to higher education it's something I'm more personally invested in as a result.

Thanks for sharing. Makes sense I have to say, because people at 18 still have the teenager mindset and seen more interested in partying which is partly what put me off going in the first place, even though I attended and then dropped out. But after working in a job, I feel that giving uni another go after working in a job has helped develop my skills.
Reply 3
As a mature student I’m more focused on my studies for sure and motivated to do well. My tutors have all been very understanding.

Cons- very difficult with outside responsibilities and family I didn’t have aged 18. This is incredibly tough, I won’t sugarcoat it.
Reply 4
Better focus.

Less stress about 'will I make friends' etc.

Can probably already navigate a kitchen and a washing machine.

Added sense of perspective so less academic stress.

Lots of experience to bring to the table, sometimes in surprising ways.

On a more equal footing with staff which means better and easier relationships.
Hey @2024MM

Like others have said I feel I am more focused, more determined and less interested in partying.
What are you thinking of studying at University?

Rebecca :smile:
York St John Student Ambassador
Yeah I was far more focussed, I wanted to be there and was aware of the sacrifices I was making to do so (like taking time out of earning)

I was already pretty socially comfortable I wasn't distracted caring what people really thought of me and wasn't desperate to lose my V, but a bit more important is I was able to talk to the staff as an equal, the level of communication was markedly different, unlike younger students I didn't see them as authority figures, simply educators.
Original post by Rebecca YSJ
Hey @2024MM

Like others have said I feel I am more focused, more determined and less interested in partying.
What are you thinking of studying at University?

Rebecca :smile:
York St John Student Ambassador

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for your reply.

I am thinking about studying maybe English.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending