The Student Room Group

Applying to Uni with no maths GCSE?

I've always struggled with maths and have sat my maths GCSEs so many times I have lost count. It has been at least four failed attempts throughout my academic journey, and honestly after I left sixth form (without any A levels, which is a different story altogether), I thought I'd never really have need for a maths GCSE.

That was until last year when I decided that I do actually want to go to university. I want it more than I've wanted anything in a really long time and was a goal I'd long given up on achieving because I just didn't think I was smart enough.

I'm 24 for the record, and have only just figured out what I want to do with my life.

I am studying Animal Management at college and I want to study Zoology at uni (Bangor specifically) but I'm not confident I'll even have a chance since I suck so badly at maths. I am on track to achieve distinctions in my course, so I'm not a bad student as a rule...

Maths has just never been something I could wrap my head around. I resit my maths exams recently and although I believe I've done better than I have in past attempts when I was a teenager, I still don't think I've achieved the passing grade that I need.

Is there any hope of going to uni without a maths gcse? My teachers seem to think that there is, but my friends who have been to uni are saying there's pretty much no hope if I fail these exams.
is there a foundation course ? surely maths is a requirement to get into zoology??
Original post by Highflyers
I've always struggled with maths and have sat my maths GCSEs so many times I have lost count. It has been at least four failed attempts throughout my academic journey, and honestly after I left sixth form (without any A levels, which is a different story altogether), I thought I'd never really have need for a maths GCSE.

Is there any hope of going to uni without a maths gcse? My teachers seem to think that there is, but my friends who have been to uni are saying there's pretty much no hope if I fail these exams.

It's worth emailing Bangor to ask as they don't specify what qualifications are needed on their website but do say that 'We accept students with a wide range of qualifications and backgrounds and consider each application individually.'

https://www.bangor.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/c300-zoology-bsc-hons#entryrequirements
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by alevelstudent090
is there a foundation course ? surely maths is a requirement to get into zoology??

I have friends who say that maths is essential, but my teachers argue that I might not even need it and could be accepted without. One of my teachers says he studied zoology at uni without maths, but I'm aware that was several years ago. Then another teacher said that because I'm classified as a mature student, sometimes unis make allowances?

I believe there is a foundation course, but I'm still unsure about if you can take it without maths. I'm just stressing about it because I don't think I've passed the resits. I have a shot to resit them again next year if I failed again, but I don't see how that will go any better than this year.
Original post by Highflyers
I have friends who say that maths is essential, but my teachers argue that I might not even need it and could be accepted without. One of my teachers says he studied zoology at uni without maths, but I'm aware that was several years ago. Then another teacher said that because I'm classified as a mature student, sometimes unis make allowances?

I believe there is a foundation course, but I'm still unsure about if you can take it without maths. I'm just stressing about it because I don't think I've passed the resits. I have a shot to resit them again next year if I failed again, but I don't see how that will go any better than this year.

The issue is that Maths is vital for most sciences. Had it been say History they might have overlooked it especially for a mature student. I know someone years ago got offers for Kings and Exeter for History without Maths and wasnt a mature student. The key issue is whether any university will consider someone able to complete their course without a basic Maths requirement
It's Bangor and you are 24, they may look the other way. My friend had zero maths when applying to Psychology, they let her in as she was in her 50's.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending