The Student Room Group

How to deal with my mum? HELP

My mum has high blood pressure and she gets sudden surges of anger where she will yell at my dad and I and becomes completely irrational. She blames everything on my dad, calls him abusive, lazy, grumpy, stupid etc. etc. when in fact she is the one yelling insults at him, patronizing him and trying to throw frying pans and mugs at him.

When I try to get her to calm down when she is in this state she always reacts stubbornly with "Why are siding with your dad over me? WHY don't you tell him to calm down?" and her arguments don't make any sense but she tells me that I'm too immature to understand anything (I'm 16), and my dad is stupid and has become irrational because of his anger. She then says that her anger is the result of her acting like a cornered wounded dog and of everyone not appreciating her and abusing her because she's ill and therefore is perfectly fine, and that "someday you'll grow up and understand and you'll be sorry and then I'll forgive you for it, I know daughters naturally side with their fathers when they are teenagers" or some crap like that...

Basically it's all really ironic because everything she throws at my dad is actually describing herself but she's too worked up to realise.
As quick as her rage is ignited, in the middle of a screaming rant she will just as quickly suddenly act as if the argument was all a joke and calm down again, which just leaves me confused and frustrated.

I think her bouts of anger are caused by her stress from her and dad having to stay at home all the time to look after my severely autistic little brother and therefore not being able to go to work or go out, but there is nothing anyone can do about it.

I don't know what to do... help?
Advise her to talk to a doctor or someone can help, also see if you can talk to a teacher or someone in school to help you handle all of this.
Could she be in menopause? What age is she? (Some in menopause feel suicidal, so... . It varied a lot.)
Reply 3
Original post by XcitingStuart
Could she be in menopause? What age is she? (Some in menopause feel suicidal, so... . It varied a lot.)

She's 52, she had her menopause a few years ago
Original post by Anonymous
She's 52, she had her menopause a few years ago

I thought menopause lasted about 10 years, from like between 50 and 60 years of age.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending