The Student Room Group

C1 help !!!!!!!!!!

Q. Find the set of values of x for which:

4x^2 - 3x - 1 < 0 and 4(x+20) < 15 - (x + 7)

Cant seem to factorise the quadratic :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by Modesty
Q. Find the set of values of x for which:

4x^2 - 3x - 1 < 0 and 4(x+20) < 15 - (x + 7)

Cant seem to factorise the quadratic :frown:

In usual fashion you want to find two numbers that add to make -3 and multiply to make -4.
Reply 2
(4X+1)(X-1)
Reply 3
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
In usual fashion you want to find two numbers that add to make -3 and multiply to make -4.

Whoh.
The way i factorise is different i will put (4x ) (4x )
Find two numbers multiplyto give -3 add to give -1 i'm confused as to which two numbers??
Reply 4
Original post by dons178
(4X+1)(X-1)

I factorise differently , i put 4x in the beginning of both brackets but stuck :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Modesty
Whoh.
Find two numbers multiplyto give -3 add to give -1 i'm confused as to which two numbers??

You don't put 4x at the beginning of both. Think about what happens when you expand it; you'll get 16x^2.

You either do (4x )(x ) or (2x )(2x ).
Reply 6
Original post by Modesty
Whoh.

Well assuming you mean like (4x + ?)(4x + ?) that wouldn't work here..
multiply to make -4. You generally just want to exhaust the factors, positive and negative of the number AC in Ax^2 + Bx + C, until you find the two that also add to make B. Then you write out the x-term as the sum of two x terms whose coefficients are the two numbers and this allows you to factorize. Eventually you'll probably be able to factorize expressions like this very quickly just by experience/recognition
Reply 7
Original post by ubisoft
You don't put 4x at the beginning of both. Think about what happens when you expand it; you'll get 16x^2.

That's how i factorise quadratics when coefficient is greater than 1.
Why is it with this question i can't?
Reply 8
Original post by Modesty
That's how i factorise quadratics when coefficient is greater than 1.
Why is it with this question i can't?

Well it is wrong, don't do that. Expand it out and you will see it's not the same.
Reply 9
Well assuming you mean like (4x + ?)(4x + ?) that wouldn't work here..
multiply to make -4. You generally just want to exhaust the factors, positive and negative of the number AC in Ax^2 + Bx + C, until you find the two that also add to make B. Then you write out the x-term as the sum of two x terms whose coefficients are the two numbers and this allows you to factorize. Eventually you'll probably be able to factorize expressions like this very quickly just by experience/recognition

So answer is (4x-4) (x+1)
Reply 10
Original post by Modesty
So answer is (4x-4) (x+1)

No. Note that 4x^2 - 3x - 1 = 4x^2 - 4x + x - 1. can you see how to factorize this?
Reply 11
No. Note that 4x^2 - 3x - 1 = 4x^2 - 4x + x - 1. can you see how to factorize this?

Ahhhh i'm so stupid. I just remembered these are Trinomials.

Mutliply 4 * -1 = -4
Find two numbers which mutliply to give -4 and add to give 3
So (4x+4) (4x-1)

Now divide first bracket by 4 which gives x+1

Answer is (x+1) (4x-1)

Quick Reply

Latest