The Student Room Group

Paramedic science- time out after college

Hi, im going into my final year of college this month and im wondering on what peoples experiences are with either going straight to university or taking some time out? (specifically for paramedic science.) To go to university straight after college id need to start applying this year, so im just figuring out what i would like to do if anyone has any experiences or advice on this please? Thankyou
Reply 1
Get some experience in any 'caring' role - working in a care home etc.

Paramed is very competitive and difficult to get into - and you will need relevant experience to make a successful application,
There's a really strong held opinion amongst qualified paramedics that it's better to get some life experience before qualifying. Unis will teach you all the book smarts, but you're talking to people having the worst day of their life and uni can't teach you that. If you feel like you're too young then you probably are - but equally, if anyone reads this and goes "pfft, that's nonsense" then I'd recommend you also take time out before applying.
Original post by BlueLightDriver
There's a really strong held opinion amongst qualified paramedics that it's better to get some life experience before qualifying. Unis will teach you all the book smarts, but you're talking to people having the worst day of their life and uni can't teach you that. If you feel like you're too young then you probably are - but equally, if anyone reads this and goes "pfft, that's nonsense" then I'd recommend you also take time out before applying.

also not helped by some of the HE courses producing Paramedics who have never been part of a 2 person crew on a DCA and in some cases may not even have their cat B never mind C1 ( vs the service based routes that require C1 before starting first day of training )
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest