The Student Room Group

A Very High Percentage Of Feminism Seems to be Highly Contradictory?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bornblue
What a misrperesentation.
That's talking about why men get air con and women don't.
It's not saying 'airconditioning' itself is a sexist concept as the poster implied.

Seems you haven't read the articles...
I picked one of the articles at random, this is verbatim:

"Women workers in the UK are being sexually discriminated - by air conditioning.New research suggests that indoor climate control systems are partly based on the metabolic rate of an average 40-year-old man."
Some feminists have been claiming that the fact that these temperatures are low is a form of sexism.

Keep in mind this is based on a study of 16 males, this is a recurring theme in most studies cited by feminists, an abysmal sample size that is supposed to represent half the population.
There was a study that came out a few months ago 'showing' that men are more likely to feel threatened by female bosses, than women with male or female bosses. It had a similar problem, If I remember correctly it had a sample size less than 100 boys from university.
Original post by BobbyFlay

"Women workers in the UK are being sexually discriminated - by air conditioning.New research suggests that indoor climate control systems are partly based on the metabolic rate of an average 40-year-old man."
Some feminists have been claiming that the fact that these temperatures are low is a form of sexism.

Keep in mind this is based on a study of 16 males, this is a recurring theme in most studies cited by feminists, an abysmal sample size that is supposed to represent half the population.
There was a study that came out a few months ago 'showing' that men are more likely to feel threatened by female bosses, than women with male or female bosses. It had a similar problem, If I remember correctly it had a sample size less than 100 boys from university.

'Some women'? Well who are these women?
It's saying that the air conditioning temperature favours men, not women. It's not saying that airconditioning itself is a sexist concept.

Stop trying to talk about feminists as if they were one group with the same views. It's a broad church movement.
Then more efforts should be made to accompany the fact women have children. For example, letting women breastfeed in the chambers of Parliament. Offering more friendly hours, offering higher and better funded provision of childcare services etc.

I don't know your background, but in many companies what you are suggesting is not feasible.

For example in a busy stockbroking office, you can't just pick and choose your hours as when you are free. The markets open at specific times, and they are very sensitive to time. You can't just say to someone, oh come in around 10, and leave at 4.30 - work doesn't work like that, I'm sorry.

In the higher paid jobs salaries £250k+, it is not uncommon to find 50-60 hour jobs, and the possibility of working some Weekends as well.

It is also common a lot of the higher paid jobs you have to be at your desk at 8am, and often you leave the office at 7-9pm. Most office workers leave between 6-7pm, a few leave 5 on the dot but its not common.

It's not a simple case of giving flexible working hours, there are tight deadlines to be met a lot of the times to complete certain time dependent projects. In this situation, someone wanting to leave at 4.30pm to collect their child from daycare becomes difficult on their colleagues, their employers, managers and the performance of the company.

And whilst I do technically agree with you that companies could do more to help and fund child care arrangements. You will have to understand majority of businesses will simply not even think about that because the idea in business is to maximise profit and minimise costs - especially coming out of a global recession to the scale of which has occurred in the recent few years.

It is that when the higher paid jobs require 50-60 working hours in the week plus possibility of weekends working, a lot of women choose to cut down their hours to focus on their children.

This is not gender discrimination, it is choice.

I just checked that air conditioning article sexism thing etc. I don't understand it what the point being made by the female journalist?

Without researching it myself, say this story was true, and also say for arguments sake men prefer 22 degrees Celsius and women prefer 24 degrees temperature.

So she is saying she is cold, ok, whats the solution here? Turn the temperature up so all the women feel good and the men start boiling? Or keep the temperature where it is, and men be happy and women feel cold?

So whats the point here? Is she trying to say the temperature should cater to women? Why? Because then that is implying women are more important and men should suffer which is sexist and gender discrimination towards men.

Yet another contradiction, it seems.
Original post by konvictz0007
I don't know your background, but in many companies what you are suggesting is not feasible.

For example in a busy stockbroking office, you can't just pick and choose your hours as when you are free. The markets open at specific times, and they are very sensitive to time. You can't just say to someone, oh come in around 10, and leave at 4.30 - work doesn't work like that, I'm sorry.

In the higher paid jobs salaries £250k+, it is not uncommon to find 50-60 hour jobs, and the possibility of working some Weekends as well.

It is also common a lot of the higher paid jobs you have to be at your desk at 8am, and often you leave the office at 7-9pm. Most office workers leave between 6-7pm, a few leave 5 on the dot but its not common.

It's not a simple case of giving flexible working hours, there are tight deadlines to be met a lot of the times to complete certain time dependent projects. In this situation, someone wanting to leave at 4.30pm to collect their child from daycare becomes difficult on their colleagues, their employers, managers and the performance of the company.

And whilst I do technically agree with you that companies could do more to help and fund child care arrangements. You will have to understand majority of businesses will simply not even think about that because the idea in business is to maximise profit and minimise costs - especially coming out of a global recession to the scale of which has occurred in the recent few years.

It is that when the higher paid jobs require 50-60 working hours in the week plus possibility of weekends working, a lot of women choose to cut down their hours to focus on their children.

This is not gender discrimination, it is choice.

You've just made an argument for feminism. That work is biased in favour of males, not taking women's issues into account which puts them at a disadvantage.
'Some women'? Well who are these women?
It's saying that the air conditioning temperature favours men, not women. It's not saying that airconditioning itself is a sexist concept.

Stop trying to talk about feminists as if they were one group with the same views. It's a broad church movement.

Are you kidding me?!
Some All , which is why I said SOME.
And I never even mentioned the sentence 'some women', I said some feminists, which is the answer to your question " who are these women?", btw the articles mentions that too. Clearly you have not read the articles. Your dogmatic goggles are showing...
Also whether or not air-conditioning itself is a sexist concept does not matter when these feminists are claiming that the temperature is sexist... It's about the principle, the fact that this 'issue' is even remotely being considered as an issue.
(edited 8 years ago)
Are you kidding me?!
Some All , which is why I said SOME.
And I never even mentioned the sentence 'some women', I said some feminists, which is the answer to your question " who are these women?", btw the articles mentions that too. Clearly you have not read the articles. Your dogmatic goggles are showing...
Also whether or not air-conditioning itself is a sexist concept does not matter when these feminists are claiming that the temperature is sexist... It's about the principle, the fact that this 'issue' is even remotely being considered as an issue.

What point are you trying to prove? SOME feminists are a bit loopy. Of course. Just like all movements have their nutters.
What point are you trying to prove? SOME feminists are a bit loopy. Of course. Just like all movements have their nutters.

What you did there is called a non-sequitur. Refer to the link below for guidance:
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/building-logical-arguments.html
You've just made an argument for feminism. That work is biased in favour of males, not taking women's issues into account which puts them at a disadvantage.

Wow well done for trying to twist my words.

I gave a true to life example of how it is and also clearly stressed it is choice related.

Do you expect all business to make rooms for women to give birth, offer childcare within their office building and also let them leave early every day so they can concentrate on their family life?

You ever heard the term you cant bake your cake and eat it too?

You can't expect to have a highly successful career in finance, earning £150k+ which requires 50-60 hour weeks, and then also spend 5/6 hours with your children every night including week nights.

This is a real life situation, and many people are forced to make the choice. This applies equally for men and women, and it is more often that not women decide to choose to cut down their hours whilst men chase the longer hours and better pay.

No one is being favored here, it is simply choice. There are plenty of women that work long hours in finance and law and other industries and are highly successful. The door is open for both sexes.
What you did there is called a non-sequitur. Refer to the link below for guidance:
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/building-logical-arguments.html

I'm not interested in points scoring.
I don't buy that women think airconditiong is sexist.
And I don't get what point you are making.
Wow well done for trying to twist my words.

I gave a true to life example of how it is and also clearly stressed it is choice related.

Do you expect all business to make rooms for women to give birth, offer childcare within their office building and also let them leave early every day so they can concentrate on their family life?

You ever heard the term you cant bake your cake and eat it too?

You can't expect to have a highly successful career in finance, earning £150k+ which requires 50-60 hour weeks, and then also spend 5/6 hours with your children every night including week nights.

This is a real life situation, and many people are forced to make the choice. This applies equally for men and women, and it is more often that not women decide to choose to cut down their hours whilst men chase the longer hours and better pay.

No one is being favored here, it is simply choice. There are plenty of women that work long hours in finance and law and other industries and are highly successful. The door is open for both sexes.

Yes quite frankly I expect the government to pass laws to enable women to compete on an even footing with men and if that means a multi million pound business has to make a few sacrifices for the sake of treating people well then so be it.

Providing more childcare, offering more convenient hours, offering better maternity and paternity pay and allowances.

That's what feminism stands for, making provisions for women so they have equal opportunities as men.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes quite frankly I expect the government to pass laws to enable women to compete on an even footing with men and if that means a multi million pound business has to make a few sacrifices for the sake of treating people well then so be it.

Providing more childcare, offering more convenient hours, offering better maternity and paternity pay and allowances.

Yes but I explained this is not possible with a lot of companies.

Not all companies are trading in the millions, and the ones that are not all of them are profitable. In business costs have to be cut, there is not unlimited amounts of money available to please everyone.

In these industries women do compete with men on equal footing - did you not see the article where it says women under 25 earn more than men at the same age.

If a woman is dedicated to her job, there is nothing stopping her achieving big salaries. Many many women are in those positions right now in banking and finance, how did they get there?
Yes but I explained this is not possible with a lot of companies.

Not all companies are trading in the millions, and the ones that are not all of them are profitable. In business costs have to be cut, there is not unlimited amounts of money available to please everyone.

In these industries women do compete with men on equal footing - did you not see the article where it says women under 25 earn more than men at the same age.

If a woman is dedicated to her job, there is nothing stopping her achieving big salaries. Many many women are in those positions right now in banking and finance, how did they get there?

It doesn't just have to be the companies but it can be the government. It could be a government scheme for example.
Yes there is, women often have to choose between a top job and a child, men most often do not.
Men thus have an inherent advantage.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending