The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE vs Bristol Law LLB

Guys I’m stressing so badly - yesterday I received an offer from LSE that I was not expecting at all, thinking it was a long-shot so was pretty set on Bristol. Now I don’t know what to do. LSE is better for my subject (Law), but I’ve heard that the social life within London unis is not great. However, I know LSE will be more diverse which also interests me. If someone were in my position - what would you do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by holly13313
Guys I’m stressing so badly - yesterday I received an offer from LSE that I was not expecting at all, thinking it was a long-shot so was pretty set on Bristol. Now I don’t know what to do. LSE is better for my subject (Law), but I’ve heard that the social life within London unis is not great. However, I know LSE will be more diverse which also interests me. If someone were in my position - what would you do?

lucky to be in this situation, LSE is a no brainer given the reputation and ranking.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
lucky to be in this situation, LSE is a no brainer given the reputation and ranking.

That’s what seems to be the general consensus - everyone has said Bristol for nightlife and LSE for academics
Reply 3
That’s what seems to be the general consensus - everyone has said Bristol for nightlife and LSE for academics

Lol. Don't worry London is not lacking in nightlife.
Reply 4

LSE Library has the best books in the world and only Cambridge is better but it is yet rather breathtakingly beautiful!!! :biggrin: lol With an amazing and yet very 'spacious' 5000 study spaces!!! :wink: lol

(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 5

if you care about academics and future career / further study opportunities, go for LSE.
if you care about university life and having fun, go to Bristol.
Reply 6
Original post by thegeek888
LSE Library has the best books in the world and only Cambridge is better but it is yet rather breathtakingly beautiful!!! :biggrin: lol With an amazing and yet very 'spacious' 5000 study spaces!!! :wink: lol

It does look amazing
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
if you care about academics and future career / further study opportunities, go for LSE.
if you care about university life and having fun, go to Bristol.

Yeah I think that's the choice I'm going to have to make - I still haven't made up my mind but don't have long left :frown:
Reply 8
Yeah I think that's the choice I'm going to have to make - I still haven't made up my mind but don't have long left :frown:

Bristol Law school is also very highly regarded, and many get training contracts. Have u looked at accomodation, modules etc?
Reply 9

You're more likely to be accepted for a Masters degree at Harvard, Yale, Princeton and MIT if you study at LSE. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Dnsnnssn
Bristol Law school is also very highly regarded, and many get training contracts. Have u looked at accomodation, modules etc?

Yeah I’ve looked at accommodation for both now, the social sides are just going to be so different in both places. Bristol from wht I’ve heard is more of a student vibe whereas LSE is more academically focused and the student ‘vibe’ isn’t there, the type of life id have in each place is what I’m stuck on :frown:
Reply 11
You're more likely to be accepted for a Masters degree at Harvard, Yale, Princeton and MIT if you study at LSE. :smile:

I hadn’t even considered this yet - thank you! :smile:
Reply 12
Yeah I’ve looked at accommodation for both now, the social sides are just going to be so different in both places. Bristol from wht I’ve heard is more of a student vibe whereas LSE is more academically focused and the student ‘vibe’ isn’t there, the type of life id have in each place is what I’m stuck on :frown:

What percentage of LSE law school is Home fee Vs International? If at LSE Law, u know the percentage is very low Home students and u really care about the social side I say go for Bristol.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Dnsnnssn
What percentage of LSE law school is Home fee Vs International? If at LSE Law, u know the percentage is very low Home students and u really care about the social side I say go for Bristol.

The general statistic I've seen around is 70% of the uni is international, and 25% for Bristol uni. I feel like whichever I choose I'll just regret not picking the other lol, I'm visiting both next week so I am praying that I feel really strongly for one rather than both.
Reply 14
The general statistic I've seen around is 70% of the uni is international, and 25% for Bristol uni. I feel like whichever I choose I'll just regret not picking the other lol, I'm visiting both next week so I am praying that I feel really strongly for one rather than both.

If LSE Law itself is 70% international, I know for myself I would find it hard to make close friends. I don't know about you though maybe you find it easy to make friends. Also London accommodation is very expensive. Bristol uni Law as I said will still get you into the top professions. I think visiting both Unis is a good idea
I hadn’t even considered this yet - thank you! :smile:

Bristol has a lot of privately educated students. They don't really mix or integrate with others. At least at LSE you will make friends with other university students too such as KCL, QMUL, RHUL, Goldsmiths, UCL and SOAS.
Reply 16
Bristol has a lot of privately educated students. They don't really mix or integrate with others. At least at LSE you will make friends with other university students too such as KCL, QMUL, RHUL, Goldsmiths, UCL and SOAS.

That's what I'm afraid of as I went to state school and am working class, although I know there will be many privately educated students in London I feel it'll be more diverse and I'll meet more people I get on with. I'm just trying to ignore the rankings now as I know they are both good unis, just have to decide what type of uni experience I want :smile:
That's what I'm afraid of as I went to state school and am working class, although I know there will be many privately educated students in London I feel it'll be more diverse and I'll meet more people I get on with. I'm just trying to ignore the rankings now as I know they are both good unis, just have to decide what type of uni experience I want :smile:

If you want to become a Barrister or work for a US or Magic Circle firm then go for LSE. :biggrin:
Also consider LSE has 17 applicants per place for each place on the Law degree. So you have won the LSE lottery!!! :biggrin: lol
out of curiosity, which uni did you end up picking?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending