The Student Room Group

Scottish Students applying to English Universities 2016 - Oxbridge,London,etc

Hi
I could not find a thread for any of scottish students applying to Oxbridge,UCL,Imperial,Durham,etc

I have sent in application for UCL,Imperial,Durham and Cambridge in England.
I have 5 As in Scottish Highers and doing 3 Advanced Highers including Maths.

I have one interview call from Imperial :smile:. No rejections yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

My insurance hopefully is Edinburgh.

Anyone else on TSR from Scotland received interviews/offers.What are you hoping for?

Ro

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I've applied to UCL cambridge Manchester Bristol and Edinburgh. I did my Advanced Highers last year and got 3A1s.
Reply 2
Original post by gabrielbattcock
Hi, I've applied to UCL cambridge Manchester Bristol and Edinburgh. I did my Advanced Highers last year and got 3A1s.

Those are impressive results!
So are you in a gap year? Any luck with the Uni offers yet? What branch are you trying for?
Original post by rodoc
Those are impressive results!
So are you in a gap year? Any luck with the Uni offers yet? What branch are you trying for?

Yeah I'm on a gap year! I have offers from UCL, Bristol and Manchester and have an interview at Cambridge! What about you? I'm wanting to study physics
Hi, I've applied to Cambridge, Imperial, Edinburgh(have an unconditional) and Strathclyde. My grades are 6As at higher (one crash) and I'm sitting maths, physics, chemistry and crashing graphics this year all at Adv higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just had my application sent off yesterday (slow referee) for English/Eng Lit at York, KCL, Bristol, Newcastle and Glasgow. I got 5As last year and I'm taking 2AHs along with another higher (predicted AAA). Only got an acknowledgement e-mail from Glasgow so far, who I'm hoping will give me an unconditional so I can use them as my insurance, but not sure which uni is my favourite of the bunch!

UPDATE: I've received an offer from KCL after one day! two As at AH :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by gabrielbattcock
Yeah I'm on a gap year! I have offers from UCL, Bristol and Manchester and have an interview at Cambridge! What about you? I'm wanting to study physics

Congratulations :smile:on the offers and when's your cambridge interview? Did UCL have an interview before the offer?
I have a maths interview at Imperial. No news from UCL.
Reply 7
Original post by Runner0204
Hi, I've applied to Cambridge, Imperial, Edinburgh(have an unconditional) and Strathclyde. My grades are 6As at higher (one crash) and I'm sitting maths, physics, chemistry and crashing graphics this year all at Adv higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great offer from Edinburgh:smile:. Always good to get an unconditional for an insurance. What is it for? I am trying for maths and only have an Imperial interview. Their offers if at all always have such high conditions with STEP :frown: and so on..!
Edinburgh have been rather quiet!:rolleyes:
Original post by rodoc
Great offer from Edinburgh:smile:. Always good to get an unconditional for an insurance. What is it for? I am trying for maths and only have an Imperial interview. Their offers if at all always have such high conditions with STEP :frown: and so on..!
Edinburgh have been rather quiet!:rolleyes:

Thanks, mechanical engineering with management. I've still not heard back from imperial or Cambridge yet. Good luck with your interview I'm sure it will be fine. I wouldn't worry too much about Edinburgh not getting back yet, I have friends who've applied for other subjects who haven't heard either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Wish UCL would make up their mind!:s-smilie:
Anyone know when Edinburgh start sending out Maths offers?
All you lucky people with interviews and offers already, I'm still sitting here waiting for a reply from all my choices :frown:

I applied for Oxford, Imperial, Glasgow, and Edinburgh for medicine, and Imperial again for biochemistry with 5 As at Higher (1 crash) and doing 3 Adv Highers + crash Higher music
Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh man I am so glad this is a thread! I'm from Scotland and applied for maths as well; Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, Glasgow and Edinburgh. Which Cam college did you apply to?? And have you heard about interview for Cam or from any other of your choices? :smile:
I've heard back from Edinburgh and Glasgow btw (unconditionals :tongue: so I'm sure you'll hear soon too!)

I got 6 As at higher, and do maths physics and chem at advanced. Do you do applied maths? I'm nervous cause all the English kids will be doing further maths aha :jumphug:
Original post by rodoc
Wish UCL would make up their mind!:s-smilie:
Anyone know when Edinburgh start sending out Maths offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh man I am so glad this is a thread! I'm from Scotland and applied for maths as well; Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, Glasgow and Edinburgh. Which Cam college did you apply to?? And have you heard about interview for Cam or from any other of your choices? :smile:
I've heard back from Edinburgh and Glasgow btw (unconditionals :tongue: so I'm sure you'll hear soon too!)

I got 6 As at higher, and do maths physics and chem at advanced. Do you do applied maths? I'm nervous cause all the English kids will be doing further maths aha :jumphug:

(Sorry I know I posted this twice :redface: )
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by meganfurley
Hi
Any comp.science or joint maths & comp science applicants to London or oxbridge universities?

6 A highers and 4 advanced highers here.

Edinburgh - no news :frown:

Interview at Cambridge :smile:

Which subjects are you doing at AH?
Reply 14
Any from Scotland with offers yet?:colondollar:
LADDSSSSS and LASSIES!!

Right so I flopped my AHs last year because my teachers didn't send away my coursework in time... On top of several other extenuating issues. Which resulted in me getting BCD.

I'm doing full A-levels instead this year by myself (god help my soul), with the plan of starting in 2016.

Name: Prince
Standard Grades: 3 1s 5 2s
Higher: AAAAC
AH (ext. circumstances as above): BCD
A-level (predictions): A*A*A

Unis applied to:
Oxford (Comp Sci, St Anne's) - LOL, waiting to get rejected
Warwick (Data Science) - offer: A*AA or AAA + 2 in STEP
UCL (Maths + CS) - offer: A*AA
Nottingham (Data Science) - offer: A*AA
Bristol (Maths + CS) - pending

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fantastic. An interview at St Anne's would be icing on the cake I guess. Hope its isn't snowing wherever you are.Its awful here to go with the mood!

Thanks! Hahaha, it would be but I'm very much convinced that I won't get one.

It snowed a few weeks ago, but now all the snow is cleared - it's just very cold now. Whereabouts in Scotland do you stay? I'm in Aberdeen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Any news of offers anyone?

Also -
Would you know if Cambridge has any quota for Scottish students? From what I have heard, Harvard has one for International (it's said roughly 10% of seats). If so, are these quotas general or do they apply for each subject.By that I mean, there well might be more international applicants for one particular subject .... and hence the stats may need to be evened up.Cheers
Original post by rodoc
Any news of offers anyone?

Also -
Would you know if Cambridge has any quota for Scottish students? From what I have heard, Harvard has one for International (it's said roughly 10% of seats). If so, are these quotas general or do they apply for each subject.By that I mean, there well might be more international applicants for one particular subject .... and hence the stats may need to be evened up.Cheers

No quotas for Scottish students, in England all parts of the UK have the same status unlike Scotland and it's 'RUK' policy. To be honest, I think they'd prefer more Scottish applicants since it's a relatively small number of applicants in proportion to its population, although that's because Scottish unis are free. I mean, in Oxford's medical school (not representative of the whole of Oxford but w/e) only 1% of applicants (not even offers) were Scottish...
So how many managed to get into Oxbridge,London,etc
Edinburgh -unconditional
Cambridge - none after interview

Oxford medicine rejection, still waiting on the rest of my unis but Imperial should get back to me next week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending