The Student Room Group

I am a History graduate who needs advice about graduate medicine (GEM)

I finished a degree in History in June (I got a high first) and have since seriously thought about doing graduate medicine, GEM. I have a graduate scheme lined up to start in September 2016 but I know it wont give me the job satisfaction medicine will.

However, I am now 22 (I took a gap year before uni) and I'm already in three years of £9,000 a year fees and living expenses debt . I'm worried that by the time I have finished GEM I will be 29 before I start earning and I will be in nearly 100,00 debt. I don't know how long it'll take me to pay that back!?
Also, because this is a very new idea I have no experience - although by the time I apply I could have done 6 months of experience. I also don't have chemistry A level (or any science or maths) so would be applying with UKCAT and GAMSAT, having taught myself it over the previous 6months.
I feel like there are a lot of factors acting against me but I really would appreciate other's opinions and experiences!
Reply 1
Don't worry about the loans. Lots of people are in a similar position to you with regards to the amount of debt they will owe at the end of GEM.

However, do get some experience. Get a job as a HCA or Volunteer at a hospital/care home, shadow doctors at a hospital or GP surgery. Make sure the work is right for you.
Are there student loans for graduate entry? Or is it normal loans?
Reply 3
Original post by Piggy100
I finished a degree in History in June (I got a high first) and have since seriously thought about doing graduate medicine, GEM. I have a graduate scheme lined up to start in September 2016 but I know it wont give me the job satisfaction medicine will.

However, I am now 22 (I took a gap year before uni) and I'm already in three years of £9,000 a year fees and living expenses debt . I'm worried that by the time I have finished GEM I will be 29 before I start earning and I will be in nearly 100,00 debt. I don't know how long it'll take me to pay that back!?
Also, because this is a very new idea I have no experience - although by the time I apply I could have done 6 months of experience. I also don't have chemistry A level (or any science or maths) so would be applying with UKCAT and GAMSAT, having taught myself it over the previous 6months.
I feel like there are a lot of factors acting against me but I really would appreciate other's opinions and experiences!

GEM currently has all but the first year NHS-funded (though it is constantly debated whether this will last)- if this is still the case, then your debt will be no more than the average medical student's.

My biggest concern with what you have written is lack of science A-levels (esp. chemistry, which is virtually universally required, even for GEM). I only know of one (Newcastle medical school) which doesn't require science at all if you are applying with a degree (of any discipline), but most require either the science A-levels, and/ or a science degree.

If you were to do chemistry A-level between now and September 2016- which I presume you are suggesting, then also don't think that getting an A is a given; it is hard, especially in 6 months, and especially if self-taught.

That said, I encourage you to try if you are really determined- I've certainly heard of people doing much more difficult things to get into medicine!
Reply 4
I studied law for 5 years, hated it and now study GEM at Warwick. Only in 1st year but so far its the best decision I ever made. I was damn good at law, which is incredibly cocky but point is I could have been very successful (and most likely far better paid!) but I didnt see the point in embarking on a career that I wasnt excited about even at the start.

It is a tough route, especially since I've started with no science backing - Warwick doesn't even require A levels for sciences - but incredibly rewarding, interesting and you'll find a varied bunch of people on the course who can help out and empathise with the constant feeling of knowing nothing!

Make sure you want to do medicine for its own sake and not because you dont fancy the job youre going into. In other words get experience before jumping in. As you clearly realise, it's a big commitment. Age shouldn't be a factor, we have 30/40 year olds in my year, nor should debt (though make sure you can afford the course). End of the day you'll have basically a guaranteed job which is reasonably paid and anyway, we dont do it for the money. Which is lucky given our friend Jeremy is taking it all away in the new contract...

Give a shout if you want to know anything specific about my experiences/entry etc.
Reply 5
Original post by NoahJ
GEM currently has all but the first year NHS-funded (though it is constantly debated whether this will last)- if this is still the case, then your debt will be no more than the average medical student's.

My biggest concern with what you have written is lack of science A-levels (esp. chemistry, which is virtually universally required, even for GEM). I only know of one (Newcastle medical school) which doesn't require science at all if you are applying with a degree (of any discipline), but most require either the science A-levels, and/ or a science degree.

If you were to do chemistry A-level between now and September 2016- which I presume you are suggesting, then also don't think that getting an A is a given; it is hard, especially in 6 months, and especially if self-taught.

That said, I encourage you to try if you are really determined- I've certainly heard of people doing much more difficult things to get into medicine!

Swansea, Nottingham, St George's, Warwick don't require any science a levels, nor science based degrees. Only Swansea asks for GCSE science at grade C along with English and maths.

However they do require the GAMSAT which in itself requires a level knowledge of the sciences (ideally).
Original post by TimeWalker
Are there student loans for graduate entry? Or is it normal loans?

Can anyone answer this? Thanks
Original post by TimeWalker
Can anyone answer this? Thanks

A little bit of googling would tell you the answer, or just searching this forum.

There is funding for 4year course. you pay £3465 the first year and loans for the rest. You can apply for a maintenance loan as normal. Rest of the four years you get the £3465 paid for by NHS and the rest loans. You get £1000 NHS bursary non-means tested, and an extra couple of grand means tested. You get a reduced SFE loan because of this bursary.

If youre on 5 year course you have to pay the first four years of fees yourself, so £36k. NHS pays the fifth year. You get maintenance loans as normal, until fifth year when NHS bursary comes in.
Reply 8
Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply to me! It's been really helpful and encouraging!
Reply 9
Original post by am1992
I studied law for 5 years, hated it and now study GEM at Warwick. Only in 1st year but so far its the best decision I ever made. I was damn good at law, which is incredibly cocky but point is I could have been very successful (and most likely far better paid!) but I didnt see the point in embarking on a career that I wasnt excited about even at the start.

It is a tough route, especially since I've started with no science backing - Warwick doesn't even require A levels for sciences - but incredibly rewarding, interesting and you'll find a varied bunch of people on the course who can help out and empathise with the constant feeling of knowing nothing!

Make sure you want to do medicine for its own sake and not because you dont fancy the job youre going into. In other words get experience before jumping in. As you clearly realise, it's a big commitment. Age shouldn't be a factor, we have 30/40 year olds in my year, nor should debt (though make sure you can afford the course). End of the day you'll have basically a guaranteed job which is reasonably paid and anyway, we dont do it for the money. Which is lucky given our friend Jeremy is taking it all away in the new contract...

Give a shout if you want to know anything specific about my experiences/entry etc.

Thank you so much for your reply am1992! It's really good to hear from someone doing GEM who didn't do a science A Level.

How long did it take you to revise for the GAMSAT? Did you manage it on the first attempt? And how much experience did you have when you applied? Was the experience in various different things? Did you do the UKCAT as well? Sorry, so many questions!
Reply 10
Thank you so much for your reply am1992! It's really good to hear from someone doing GEM who didn't do a science A Level.

How long did it take you to revise for the GAMSAT? Did you manage it on the first attempt? And how much experience did you have when you applied? Was the experience in various different things? Did you do the UKCAT as well? Sorry, so many questions!

I didn't sit GAMSAT on the basis that I have no science background and would be competing against science graduates, alongside the fact I didn't have time to study for it given that I was completing my law degree. I've heard it's a horrible test and you don't get the results until after application so even if you sit it's best applying for 2 UKCAT and 2 GAMSAT unis in case things go wrong with one or other test.

Things may have changed this year but it meant Kings, Warwick and Newcastle were the only GEPs I could apply for as they are UKCAT and don't require A levels. I only applied for Warwick in the end due to my ok, but not brilliant UKCAT (low 700s, can't remember exactly). Other applications were to 5 year courses.

Experience wise, I had a fair amount. I volunteered in the Red Cross for 6 years and trained as an ambulance technician (basically a junior paramedic) and responded to 999 calls, plus worked in field hospitals/first aid posts at events with them. I was also an HCA for 3 months and did the obligitory hospital shadowing. I was also in the army reserve and attached to the medics for a bit.

That said, my housemates all have far less experience and all got in. You need enough to have an awareness of medicine without needing to go overboard.

Non-medical experience is also useful - I was a magistrate and did various other things which ticked boxes like 'responsibility' etc.

Main focus now would be get some care/medical experience to make sure you actually want to do medicine. Long term stuff looks better than volunteering for a month next summer too, so start looking soonish.

Hope that's helpful. Busy next couple of days but will try and answer any questions.
Hi @Piggy100

Everyone has given you really great advice so far! @am1992 said "Things may have changed this year but it meant Kings, Warwick and Newcastle were the only GEPs I could apply for as they are UKCAT and don't require A levels."

It appears now that Kings requires a science university degree.

Warwick requires a minimum of 2.1 in any discipline (which you have with your 1st - well done btw!) and the UKCAT. On their entry requirements page, it says they don't consider A-levels or GCSEs.

Newcastle requires the UKCAT, and does not consider A levels or GCSEs.

In addition, St. George's admissions pages says the Medical School takes applicants with any degree subject under their belt, and the GAMSAT.

Nottingham's admissions pages say the same as St. George's basically: any degree discipline and the GAMSAT.

Swansea also requires the GAMSAT with any degree discipline.

One thing of note is that all of the above universities have really stressed the importance of work experience, so you should absolutely get on this! We've got some useful free information on our website on how to go about finding work experience. You can find it here.

Also, regarding funding, once you've decided which universities and GEPs you're applying to, take a look at their respective funding/scholarship/bursary pages, as you may be eligible! The Student Room has this page on GEM in general, and has a section covering funding.

We hope this helps - good luck!

The Medic Portal

I graduated with a 2.1 in classics in 2013, aged 22. I had no science a levels. I got a job in London and studied for a chemistry a level over the following 9 months while doing other volunteering and work experience. I applied for gem in 2014, at Southampton, newcastle, Warwick, and KCL. I got 815 in my UKCAT so got 4 interviews (of which I attended 3), 2 gem offers, and 1 A100 offer from KCL. I'm now at Southampton.

So: you don't have to do a chemistry a level, but I did it so that I would have four UKCAT options and not have to rely on GAMSAT. It's different now of course because KCL don't take arts grads anymore, but even without chemistry you can apply to Newcastle and Warwick and of course there are even more options with the GAMSAT.

My best advice would be to get some work experience and see if you enjoy it! If you do, go for it! You're the same age I was when I started this whole journey, and I'll be 28 when I finish medicine, with about 60k of debt, but I think it's worth it to be honest!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending