The Student Room Group

The hard integral thread.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by solC
Is it

Spoiler

Don't think so, the bb in the numerator of the argument shouldn't be just a bb, else you'll get immediate contradictions for a=b=1a=b=1.
Reply 1581
Original post by Zacken
Don't think so, the bb in the numerator of the argument shouldn't be just a bb, else you'll get immediate contradictions for a=b=1a=b=1.

My bad, the numerator should be a+b
Original post by solC
Is it

Spoiler

Yes.
Easyish one for a bedtime treat.

Show that 1coshx(lnx+1)sinhxxx dx=cosh1\displaystyle \int_1^\infty \frac{\cosh x(\ln x+1)-\sinh x}{x^x} \ dx = \cosh 1
Reply 1584
Original post by atsruser
Yes.

Funny, something like this also came up on a STEP paper:tongue:
Original post by solC
Funny, something like this also came up on a STEP paper:tongue:

Hmm. It seems like someone says this every time I figure out a nice integral. What was the question?

Are we going to see your working? I'm keen to see if you did it the slick way or the long winded way (or maybe some other way).
I'm keen to see if you did it the slick way or the long winded way (or maybe some other way).

Is the slick way u=bxn+au = \frac{b}{x^n} + a sub or is there something even slicker? FWIW

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{align*} \int \frac{\mathrm{d}x}{x^n (a + bx^{1-n}} &= -\frac{1}{b(n-1)} \int \frac{\mathrm{d}u}{u} \\& = -\frac{1}{b(n-1)} \log u \end{align*}

Original post by solC
(where k = a+b, can't seem to get it to show properly with a+b?) which leads to the result 1b(n1)ln[a+ba]\frac{1}{b(n-1)}ln\left[ \frac{a+b}{a}\right].

Write _{a+b}. Anything over two characters long and placed in subsripts/superscripts should be encased in curly brackets, otherwise LaTeX wouldn't know whether you wanted a, a+, or a+b as a subscript if you put in just _a+b.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1587
Hmm. It seems like someone says this every time I figure out a nice integral. What was the question?

Are we going to see your working? I'm keen to see if you did it the slick way or the long winded way (or maybe some other way).

It was a special case of your one with a=1, b=-1 (It's from paper III 2005 if you want to see the full question).

This is how I did it:

Write the integral as 1dxx(axn1+b)\int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{dx}{x(ax^{n-1}+b)} then let u=axn1+b u = ax^{n-1}+b giving dx=xdu(n1)(ub)dx=\frac{xdu}{(n-1)(u-b)} after some rearranging. Then we have a+bdxu(ub)(n1)=[ln(ubu)]a+b\int_{a+b}^{\infty}\frac{dx}{u(u-b)(n-1)} =\left[ln(\frac{u-b}{u}) \right]_{a+b}^\infty which leads to the result 1b(n1)ln[a+ba]\frac{1}{b(n-1)}ln\left[ \frac{a+b}{a}\right].

Also, for the previous question you posted you said there were 3 ways of approaching it - what was the 3rd way?
I just tried using DUTIS together with induction and it ended up being quite short.
(edited 6 years ago)
For the creative A-Levellers,

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*} \int_0^{\infty} \frac{\log x}{x^n - 1} \, \mathrm{d}x = \left(\frac{\pi}{n}\csc \left(\frac{\pi}{n} \right)\right)^2.\end{equation*}

Big hint: You may use/assume kZ(k+1n)2=π2csc2(πn).\displaystyle \sum_{k\in \mathbb{Z}} \left(k + \frac{1}{n}\right)^{-2} = \pi^2 \csc^2 \left(\frac{\pi}{n} \right).
Original post by Zacken
For the creative A-Levellers,

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*} \int_0^{\infty} \frac{\log x}{x^n - 1} \, \mathrm{d}x = \left(\frac{\pi}{n}\csc \left(\frac{\pi}{n} \right)\right)^2.\end{equation*}

Big hint: You may use/assume kZ(k+1n)2=π2csc2(πn).\displaystyle \sum_{k\in \mathbb{Z}} \left(k + \frac{1}{n}\right)^{-2} = \pi^2 \csc^2 \left(\frac{\pi}{n} \right).

Thanks for letting me assume that xx
Original post by physicsmaths
Thanks for letting me assume that xx

lmao
Original post by Zacken
lmao

You're a TSR maths legend! RESPECT!!
Original post by Zacken
Is the slick way u=bxn+au = \frac{b}{x^n} + a sub or is there something even slicker?

Yes, that's the slick way. Did everyone but me know it already? I've never seen it before.
Original post by solC

Also, for the previous question you posted you said there were 3 ways of approaching it - what was the 3rd way?
I just tried using DUTIS along with induction and it ended up being quite short.

1. Contour integration
2. Trig substitution + reduction formula, a la Zacken.
3. DUTIS on dx/(x2+a2)\int dx/(x^2+a^2)

and as an added free bonus...

4. there is a reduction formula directly for dx/(x2+a2)n\int dx/(x^2+a^2)^n in terms of rational polynomials.
4. there is a reduction formula directly for dx/(x2+a2)n\int dx/(x^2+a^2)^n in terms of rational polynomials.

For some reason people always seem to find this particular integral difficult. A key fact to realise is that a relation between InI_n and In+1I_{n+1} works perfectly well for reduction, you don't need to start from InI_n and end up at In1I_{n-1}

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1595
Easyish one for a bedtime treat.

Show that 1coshx(lnx+1)sinhxxx dx=cosh1\displaystyle \int_1^\infty \frac{\cosh x(\ln x+1)-\sinh x}{x^x} \ dx = \cosh 1

Writing everything in terms of exponentials we have
1coshx(lnx+1)sinhxxx dx=12ex+lnx(ex+ex)2exlnx dx\displaystyle \int_1^\infty \frac{\cosh x(\ln x+1)-\sinh x}{x^x} \ dx = \displaystyle \int_1^\infty \frac{2e^{-x}+lnx(e^x+e^{-x})}{2e^{xlnx}} \ dx (writing xxx^x as exlnx e^{xlnx})

Multiply through by e^x and rearrange to give 1(2+lnx)+e2xlnx2exlnx+x dx \displaystyle \int_1^\infty \frac{(2+lnx)+e^{2x}lnx}{2e^{xlnx+x}} \ dx

Now we can split this into two separate integrals which can both be integrated via recognition.
1(2+lnx)2exlnx+x dx+1lnx2exlnxx dx=12[ex(lnx+1))]1+12[ex(lnx1))]1=e1+e12=cosh1\displaystyle \int_1^\infty \frac{(2+lnx)}{2e^{xlnx+x}} \ dx + \displaystyle \int_1^\infty \frac{lnx}{2e^{xlnx-x}} \ dx = \frac{-1}{2}\left[ e^{-x(lnx+1))} \right]_1^\infty + \frac{-1}{2}\left[ e^{-x(lnx-1))} \right]_1^\infty = \frac{e^1+e^{-1}}{2}= \cosh1
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1597
Original post by metrize

Not very experienced with integrals tbh and there's probably an easier way to do this, but after T-Sub, replacing variables with pi/2 - x, two substitutions and transforming to hyperbolics, I get:

I=8πx4coshxcosh2xdx \displaystyle I = 8 \pi \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{x^{4}\cosh{x}}{\cosh{2x}} \mathrm{d}x which according to Wolfram is numerically the same (I'm an applied mathematician, that's enough for me lol). I then try a rectangular contour from -R to R and R+2*i*pi to -R + 2*i*pi, which does give me π62 \pi^6 \sqrt{2} flying about but I get the wrong numbers.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by solC
Writing everything in terms of exponentials we have

Nice! I actually cheated with this. I couldn't be bothered to think too hard, so I went to Wolfram Alpha and differentiated a few functions till I came up with something that looked nice.

And similarly along those lines, show that:

1lnx(coshx+sinhx)xx dx=e\displaystyle \int_1^\infty \frac{\ln x(\cosh x + \sinh x)}{x^x} \ dx =e
Nice! I actually cheated with this. I couldn't be bothered to think too hard, so I went to Wolfram Alpha and differentiated a few functions till I came up with something that looked nice.

And similarly along those lines, show that:

1lnx(coshx+sinhx)xx dx=e\displaystyle \int_1^\infty \frac{\ln x(\cosh x + \sinh x)}{x^x} \ dx =e

1logx(coshx+sinhx)xx dx=1exlogxexlogx dx=1ex(1logx)logx dx\displaystyle \int_1^\infty \frac{\log x(\cosh x + \sinh x)}{x^x} \ dx=\displaystyle \int_1^\infty \frac{e^x \log x}{e^{x \log x}} \ dx=\displaystyle \int_1^\infty e^{x(1-\log x)} \log x \ dx.
Sub u=x(1logx)u=x(1- \log x) to get 1eu du=e\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^1 e^u \ du =e.

Quick Reply

Latest