The Student Room Group

I would like some advice on my A Level choices

I thought I knew that A-Levels I was taking (English Lit&Lang combined, Russian and Maths) but I'm not entirely sure if they are a good mix. I'm not 100% sure what I want to do in the future; I think I want to go to Uni and get an English degree hence why I chose it but in case I change my mind, I picked Maths so that it was almost a fall back subject and I enjoy it just as much as English.
However, I have heard some say that Sociology could be a good A Level to take but then others disagree and find it useless so I'm not 100% sure. Moreover, I'm taking 3 languages for GCSE- Spanish, French and Russian- and I have been told that Russian is a bit more diverse and different so it would be good for an A-Level choice but I don't know whether all universities will like it or not. Anyway, I would just like some opinions and advice...
Thankyou.
Take what you want. Trust me, you'd regret to take something you don't like (despite not having done that before.)

I don't see why your current options wouldn't be sufficient for English at uni, providing you get good grades.

languages are good. as well. :smile:

(Do you mean that you're taking Russian as an A-level, or as a GCSE (I presume A-level, but you implied both.))

Edit: I've heard that sociology isn't looked favourably upon, but that's only from what I've heard. Wait for others to corroborate before you take my word for it. It's looked upon as an "easy" subject, so to speak.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Thankyouu so much for the reply, it was helpful and I was thinking about doing it for a level but I am doing it for GCSEs right now:smile:
Reply 3
I think English, Russian and Maths are a great choice of subjects! As a whole it is both a diverse array yet also includes important facilitating subjects that are to be recognised by universities. I am actually doing very, very similar subjects this year at AS Level: English lit, Spanish and Maths! (I did start with biology too- and was doing fine, but dropped it to focus on these 3)

I would say stick with the options you have if you're interested in an English based degree. Sociology would be an interesting study but as said above^ can be considered an "easier" subject. (despite not actually being easier to study).

Maths is great for so many different things and a foreign language is admired and appreciated by many universities. And also obviously English! How come you are doing combined as opposed to Lit or Lang separately? (just wondering) :smile:
Original post by GeeBark
I thought I knew that A-Levels I was taking (English Lit&Lang combined, Russian and Maths) but I'm not entirely sure if they are a good mix. I'm not 100% sure what I want to do in the future; I think I want to go to Uni and get an English degree hence why I chose it but in case I change my mind, I picked Maths so that it was almost a fall back subject and I enjoy it just as much as English.
However, I have heard some say that Sociology could be a good A Level to take but then others disagree and find it useless so I'm not 100% sure. Moreover, I'm taking 3 languages for GCSE- Spanish, French and Russian- and I have been told that Russian is a bit more diverse and different so it would be good for an A-Level choice but I don't know whether all universities will like it or not. Anyway, I would just like some opinions and advice...
Thankyou.

Well, what you could do is take all four - Russian, Maths, English and Sociology; and then drop sociology after a year if it's not working for you and just take it as an AS level instead.

But as others said, Sociology isn't an A Level universities looking favourably upon. But still, it's your choice.

Quick Reply

Latest